Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    2,813

    Possible A Records Missing

    I am a little confused at the moment. As part of my current three way merger between myself and two other WHT members, we purchased a dedicated server from Simon, at DIY Hosting, around a week ago.

    Today, I received a PM from Tyler (immortal9 here at WHT) over at the International Web Developers Network. His PM contained the following.

    I must have one of the most crummy ISPs, Adelphia. I can't get onto IWDN with Adelphia, without my DNS server. That is how I'm on now, so others may not be able to get on to it as well. I did manage to find the problem, your nameservers don't have A records. Just letting you know as some members/people may not be able to get on IWDN, and that's not good!
    I conversed back and forth, with both Tyler and the techicians, in particular, Stiofan, at DIY.

    Stiofan and myself were both thinking along the same line, if the nameservers did not have any A records attached, then how were the nameservers working in the first place? At least that is what I seemed to interpret from Stiofan. I have been transferring accounts all week to the new server, and clients have been changing their nameservers to our new nameservers all week, and not one has had a problem yet with accessing their Website, or at least I haven't received any queries regarding any issues of this nature.

    I visted DNSReport, and the following was included in the results:

    Warn - No NS A records at nameservers - WARNING: Your nameservers do not include any corresponding A records when asked for your NS records. They probably are not returning the A records when asked, which can prevent some other DNS servers from contacting your DNS servers. The problem record(s) are:

    Nameserver 70.84.170.242 did not provide any IPs
    Nameserver 70.84.170.243 did not provide any IPs
    See http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsre...entityhost.com

    Yet, at DNSStuff.com, it reports the A entries as been there. See http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup...ost.com&type=A

    I can't put my thumb on the problem. I am correct in saying that the A entries are there, right? But, DNSReport states otherwise.

    Could anybody shed some light on this, because Tyler, Stiofan and myself, are all stumped.

    I just realised, this could well have been in a different forum, if a guide feels the need to move the thread, please, go right ahead.
    Last edited by Jamie Harrop; 06-10-2005 at 02:18 PM.
    - Jamie Harrop

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northwest Colorado
    Posts
    4,630
    Note that these results are obtained in real-time, meaning that these are not cached results.
    These results are what DNS resolvers all over the world will see right now (unless they have cached information).
    I would hazard a guess that the dnsreport info and the dnsstuff info are coming from different versions of the DNS record, and an incorrect earlier version is cached out there.

    This could be caused by updating your DNS record, and failing to advance the serial #, leaving the old record cached.

    Try setting up a CNAME you don't need, advance the serial #, and save a new record. See if that doesn't shake things loose.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    2,813
    I would hazard a guess that the dnsreport info and the dnsstuff info are coming from different versions of the DNS record, and an incorrect earlier version is cached out there.
    I'm glad you mentioned that, Eric. This is what Stiofan told me, also. I am quite happy now, that it is just a cache problem.
    - Jamie Harrop

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •