Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by reanncw
    What does his personal or company matters got to do with WHT and it's administration
    I would imagine the fact that the user in question utilized WHT as a medium to rip off various parties?
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Mekhu
    If this user does indeed owe other members money, why on earth is a "Community Guide" welcoming him back?
    Guides and Liaisons might not be aware of the situation, and why portal spat the dummy and left WHT.

Maybe LociasInc was just being friendly, in welcoming portal back to WHT?
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Guides and Liaisons might not be aware of the situation, and why portal spat the dummy and left WHT.

Maybe LociasInc was just being friendly, in welcoming portal back to WHT?
    In a thread thats outlining portals actions, and linking to various other sources? Is the only thing being highlighted in that post the fact that moderators/guides cant be bothered to read threads that they post within? Poor example.
      0 Not allowed!

Myles, yeaaahh, I hear ya.

However, Guides or Liaisons don't speak on behalf of WHT, although they do wear the badge. I guess if anyone feels the above Guide's comments are out of line, then they should report it. It will get looked into, and actioned if needs be.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

My my seems like quite a little cauldron of drama surrounding your "return" and earlier departure.

Now I can't and won't comment on the drama surrounding this fella, since I wasn't involved but I will say, this is why I never "quit" a forum or other online community. The little dramatic "farewell you'll never see me here again" departures are just too, well, silly, it's a forum, post, or don't post. It really makes you look silly as heck to "quit" a forum only to come back later to post again.

I read through some of the mentioned threads and man what a tangled mess that is, looks like you woulda been better off just to stay gone, those other threads sorta let off an odor of Timmah that I ain't smelt in a while thankfully... Wonder where old Timmyboy is nowadays. Oh guess I did manage to comment on the drama afterall, oh well.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck
      0 Not allowed!

Not defending LociasInc in any way, but he too has been away for some time setting up house etc. Chances are he read the first post and hit reply
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah I believe that our returning friend is using copied content on his website.. but when the company isn't bothered I don't think we should be mulling over the issue.
    Mr. Big I think it was a very good work on your part to identify the rip but that's all we can do unless we are directly related with the company. You can let the other website know about the rip,
    Seriously I would sue anyone stealing my content.
    Articles, Blog Posts, Content Development and Copy Writing
    Skype me or Please send a PM for Contact Information
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by easternBrain
    Yeah I believe that our returning friend is using copied content on his website.. but when the company isn't bothered I don't think we should be mulling over the issue.
    Mr. Big I think it was a very good work on your part to identify the rip but that's all we can do unless we are directly related with the company. You can let the other website know about the rip,
    Seriously I would sue anyone stealing my content.
    Hello, didn't you read the thread I linked to? In case you missed it:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...65#post3090665

That would be a post by the WHT member who is being ripped, threatening a lawsuit against Shay. So, I would say the company getting ripped in this case is very bothered.

Aside from that, I disagree with you entirely. One function of WHT is self-policing our industry. This includes naming&shaming those who rip. So I will continue to point out WHT members who are ripping content:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=421166

There's another example of a company which promised to stop plagiarizing others' work on their website. I intend to keep mentioning that until they remove the ripped content, just like with Shay.
    Last edited by BigBison; 07-09-2005 at 11:38 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    Not defending LociasInc in any way, but he too has been away for some time setting up house etc. Chances are he read the first post and hit reply
    Welcome back, LociasInc!
      0 Not allowed!

OOps.. sorry Mr Big.
    I skipped that link cos I thought it contained more remarks on Portal and details of the rip. From the post here..
    I couldn't guess that a law suit was on. But later on I came against a post that mentioned that the company dropped the suit cos they couldn't verify portal's age!!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by BigBison
    Hello, didn't you read the thread I linked to? In case you missed it:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...65#post3090665

That would be a post by the WHT member who is being ripped, threatening a lawsuit against Shay. So, I would say the company getting ripped in this case is very bothered.

Aside from that, I disagree with you entirely. One function of WHT is self-policing our industry. This includes naming&shaming those who rip. So I will continue to point out WHT members who are ripping content:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=421166

There's another example of a company which promised to stop plagiarizing others' work on their website. I intend to keep mentioning that until they remove the ripped content, just like with Shay.

Right.. I am also against plagiarizing cos I am a writer myself. And I am very much on you side I have also learnt from mistakes.

So.. has Portal removed the content or is it still there.
    If it is still there.. can't we identify the webhost and ask them to discontinue hosting Portal's website from their servers??

Btw, im also returning to WHT after 4 months (i was banned for using multiple usernames) am i welcome back here??
    Last edited by experiencedwriter; 07-09-2005 at 11:49 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Right.. I am also against plagiarizing cos I am a writer myself. And I am very much on you side I have also learnt from mistakes.

If it is still there.. can't we identify the webhost and ask them to discontinue hosting Portal's website from their servers??
    Last I checked, portal was being hosted by another Peer1 customer, after he secretly moved his equipment from his cage unknown to Peer1 during a lockout (I think he scheduled tech support for onsite service or something, and picked up stuff and essentially ran it across the room while the tech wasn't there/paying attention, as all they generally do is unlock the cab and make sure you dont walk out the door with equipment).

While I haven't the faintest idea which peer1 customer would be willing to host Portal, I think its a safe bet to see nobody would want Portal offline then Peer1 (since he ripped them off also, for values rumored well into the 5 figures for half a years services).
      0 Not allowed!

OOps.. sorry Mr Big.
    I skipped that link cos I thought it contained more remarks on Portal and details of the rip. From the post here..
    I couldn't guess that a law suit was on. But later on I came against a post that mentioned that the company dropped the suit cos they couldn't verify portal's age!!
    I don't know why that would be a basis to not read the other thread. The age issue sounds like Peer1 didn't know they signed up a minor in the first place, so when it came time to recover the $12K they claim Shay owes them they couldn't pursue it.

This is because a contract signed with a minor is unenforceable. It only matters that Shay was a minor when he signed up. There is absolutely no reason a minor can't be taken to court for plagiarism and copyright infringement, however.

That's just plain illegal and wrong, ignoring a C&D order from the copyright holder would be looked upon very unfavorably if it winds up in court.
      0 Not allowed!

Btw, im also returning to WHT after 4 months (i was banned for using multiple usernames) am i welcome back here??
    If Shay had removed the ripped content, I wouldn't have bumped the threads. If Profound Hosting had removed their ripped content, I wouldn't have started that thread. As it is, when he returned here hoping the whole thing had blown over, I decided a reality check was in order.

I follow up on these things, always hoping that the ripped content has been removed so I can bump the threads and say, "The ripped content has now been removed." I would've loved to do that with Profound, except they only removed 90% of their ripped content.

Welcome back, easternBrain!
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the welcome..

So that means Peer1 was negligent in not verifying Portal's age and then allowing him to "carry" his equipments.

It wont matter if they signed him when he was a minor, they can still persue a case against him and the court can send him to the reformative center, also, the parents and promoters (if any) can be asked to make the payments.

I am majoring in law and specilaizing in cyber laws so this is a topic of interest. And i'll follow up such matters.. So if you need help Mr. big get in touch. Im sure i'll get to learn a lot.

That's according to Indian laws, don't know if the US law is similar on this aspect.
    Last edited by experiencedwriter; 07-09-2005 at 12:08 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

There was no secrecy in getting our equiptment from peer1, the second Peer1 found out lawyers were being involved, they were more than happy to co-operate in freeing up our equiptment, there was a bunch of "undidentified" bills which was the main reason the whole fuss with XeoComm started.

hope that clears it up for you folks that like to gossip!
      0 Not allowed!

Myles, I'll be glad to repay you for the cpanel licenses, I've totally forgot about that and I've been busy lately with things other than WebHostingTalk. Just create an invoice for the owed amount, and email it to me. I also do not appreciate when you spread rumors around btw.

BigBoison, at the time codemysite was created it I asked pristineweb if I could use his details for the time being, in which we agreed, I told him it would only be temporarily however, that is where I went wrong, it's been there since the start, I am in the process of getting a new design put up though - Thanks for your concerns, I appreciate it!

Anymore questions? I'll be glad to answer them, people jump ship without knowing anything nowadays
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by porcupine

While I haven't the faintest idea which peer1 customer would be willing to host Portal, I think its a safe bet to see nobody would want Portal offline then Peer1 (since he ripped them off also, for values rumored well into the 5 figures for half a years services).
    My guess is they know who it is but instead of acting now they'll wait for that customers contract to renew I can guarantee they'll make up for the losses.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by portal
    Myles, I'll be glad to repay you for the cpanel licenses, I've totally forgot about that and I've been busy lately with things other than WebHostingTalk. Just create an invoice for the owed amount, and email it to me. I also do not appreciate when you spread rumors around btw.

BigBoison, at the time codemysite was created it I asked pristineweb if I could use his details for the time being, in which we agreed, I told him it would only be temporarily however, that is where I went wrong, it's been there since the start, I am in the process of getting a new design put up though - Thanks for your concerns, I appreciate it!

Anymore questions? I'll be glad to answer them, people jump ship without knowing anything nowadays
    That sounds like the same song you were singing on IRC before returning to WHT claiming the user (who was on IRC with your nickname spelled backwards "latrop", and your previously op'd hostmask), was not you, and you never agreed to pay off your debts. Notably you've been invoiced, and mailed said invoices numerous times, frankly, I've written it off and will ensure that everyone I do business with, knows enough not to do business with you.

Singing that song works well the first time or two, but wears thin after half a dozen attempts. Have you made well on your debts to Peer1? To muppet? To God only knows who else you scammed by reporting the Credit Card you had attached to your PayPal account as stolen? I find that very hard to buy, considering you've had ample opportunities, yet showed no sign of remorse, or indication that you intended to make well on your debts.

Last but not least, please fill me in on what I'm spreading that you would classify as a "rumor" instead of "fact", or "reasonably established fact"? We already know you bailed on Peer1 in an unethical manner, that you didn't pay off the slew of parties you owed money to, that you've left subscriptions to customers who are no longer active recurring, and withdrawing money from said parties, and that you've been less then cooperative in returning colocated equipment, and not whatsoever forthcoming about honesty on a variety of levels, is there anything I've missed here?

WHT needs a Timmah! icon.
      0 Not allowed!

Ahh,

Vito was kind enough to have an icon made, depicting Timmah! (and the Timmah! style of life)

http://www.demodemo.com/emoticon/timmah.gif
      0 Not allowed!

Ahh,

Vito was kind enough to have an icon made, depicting Timmah! (and the Timmah! style of life)

http://www.demodemo.com/emoticon/timmah.gif
    I did a search around but did not find much about "Timmah". Who is Timmah? Also nice icon Vito!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Torith
    I did a search around but did not find much about "Timmah". Who is Timmah? Also nice icon Vito!
    I thought you had been around long enough to remember Timmah!.

Timmah! was another presumably under-age con artist that struck various WHT members repeatedly ripping them off (selling yearly packages and going "out of business" weeks later, only to re-appear later, ripping off hosts, not paying for servers, you name it). WHT has had a slew of them, most recent I can recall being Donna (AngelNetworkz) who is apparently back in business, sadly enough.
      0 Not allowed!

Hmmm I might remember though after seeing so many bad web hosting companies go out of business or run with the money it is hard to remember who is who . Though yes I do remember AngelNetworkz really well. As well I can not believe they are in business again...

In which I still think there should be regulations and laws in place for web hosting businesses.

I thought you had been around long enough to remember Timmah!.

Timmah! was another presumably under-age con artist that struck various WHT members repeatedly ripping them off (selling yearly packages and going "out of business" weeks later, only to re-appear later, ripping off hosts, not paying for servers, you name it). WHT has had a slew of them, most recent I can recall being Donna (AngelNetworkz) who is apparently back in business, sadly enough.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by portal
    I don't know what you mean by 'use his details'. This matter concerns your plagiarism of Justin's site, and I simply don't believe your story. Last time this matter was brought up, this was your response to my inquiry:

Quote Originally Posted by portal
    I love it when people talk out of their ***. That is all I'm going to say to this thread, and this will be the last time you hear from me on WebHostingTalk, the people that need to talk to me, know how to contact me.
    Perhaps that would have been the appropriate time to tell your story of how this was a misunderstanding. After that, Justin posted his version, which gives no indication that he ever gave you permission to use the copy on pristineweb.com:

Originally posted by PristineWEB
    The truth, when I contact Shay about posting that codemysite.com did the work and how they ripped our content, he said he'd take care of it and he removed the credit line. Then when he didn't fix the content on the codemysite.com website I had a Cease and Desist latter sent to him immediately, he then said, and I quote..

"**** Off!" and put everything back online.
    Sounds to me like you agreed to remove content you had no right to post in the first place, failed to do so, and later ignored a C&D letter. If that is the truth, it simply does not jive with your post this morning. I don't care if you're 'in the process of putting up a new site'. You don't have a legal or ethical leg to stand on for not immediately removing the stolen content, nor is there any excuse which I'll buy for your failure to have already done so.

What's considerably more troubling is your inability to own up to your actions instead of posting more excuses for them. A mea culpa to Justin is in order, something to indicate to the world at large that you recognize you were in error, have learned from your mistake and won't let it happen again. I'm afraid this leaves me with no choice but to be of the opinion that this won't be the last time we hear of you ripping somebody else's work.

Originally posted by affordahost
    I sence some anger from the big man...welcome back, I [funnly enough] don't know you..but plagarism is wrong!
    Not anger, righteous indignation. Yes, plagiarism is wrong. Shay, don't post here again until that stolen content has been removed from your site. This should already have been done. No more excuses or further B.S., please.

0 Not allowed!

I can't understand why Portal keeps coming back with excuses.. When there is everything against him he is still trying to prove that it's not he who is wrong. He has clearly plagiarized Justin's content and has no right to keep it on.
    I seriously hope he returns only after removing the content from codemysite
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast