Is a VPS account worth it?

Toying with the idea of getting one to play with but are they worth bothering with considering for a few extra dollars you can get a full dedicated server at several places? Isn't there a risk that someone else on the same physical machine will kill it one way or another? Suppose they could be useful for running dns or something like that but how suitable are they for running mysql for example?

VPS are isolated from other VPS on the host system. They can not take up all the resource that will render the other VPS useless. They can burst ram if needed but only for a short time.

I currently have a VPS at Powervps / Defender and its runs a pretty high traffic site, around 50 users on one of its forums at once. Total at once I can see 150 users on 3 different forums at once. Running lighttpd with mysql and load is under .60 at all times. Only time its higher is when backups occur within Directadmin.

If you look closer, you will find that to simply test applications a vps is more economical and afforable.

Do the dedicated servers at a few dollars more, include:

Daily Backups?
    24x7 support from the company?
    Full Management?

The above list is what ServInt, LiquidWeb, and PowerVPS include with their VPS plans.

--GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Well,
    Some VPS can cost as low as 12.50 and Dedicated are much more expensive. I advise getting a VPS first, and if you really need more space or memory, Get a Dedicated.

Originally posted by kevhosting
    Well,
    Some VPS can cost as low as 12.50 and Dedicated are much more expensive. I advise getting a VPS first, and if you really need more space or memory, Get a Dedicated.
    Those really small VPSs can't do much more than handle DNS if you ask me.

--GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Well you can spend $50/mo to get a decent VPS which if managed, has C-Panel and 512Mb of RAM with the added advantages of RAID-ed hard disk and this ability to burst higher than a $80/mo dedicated. Of course you do have to share the hardware but there are definite advtanges if you are hosting a few sites and MySQL etc can run well if you choose the right provider.

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Server management is not really an issue as I do all that myself and I already have several dedicated servers, just curious about a vps since I've never had access to one and I can think of a few tasks I would like to distribute across multiple dc's for redundancy and for such things a dedicated server might be overkill.

Originally posted by MegaCGI
    Server management is not really an issue as I do all that myself and I already have several dedicated servers, just curious about a vps since I've never had access to one and I can think of a few tasks I would like to distribute across multiple dc's for redundancy and for such things a dedicated server might be overkill.
    Well then, you will probably like the fact that some companies such as www.powervps.com and www.servint.net use RAID10 and 15K RPM SCSI drives which are *excellent*.

--GSV

Many VPS's bench higher than dedicated servers. Just look at the file copy scores Unixbench generates. Or if you want copy a 500MB tar and watch iowait skyrocket on an IDE server, while it remains at 0.00 on a SCSI based Virtuozzo server.

If you're talking about anything other than Virtuozzo, I'd say it's not worth it. On Virtuozzo however, you could easily run a heavy site. We have many customers running extremely heavy sites, and performance is extremely good.

Whatever you do, make sure you are depending on SCSI disks.

Stay KILOMETERS away from anything IDE/SATA.
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120

Agreed, afa340a.

IDE/SATA on Virtuozzo is pretty scary.

--GSV

ok fast scsi disks and raid are certainly plus points that make vps more interesting compared to cheap dedicated servers.

burst CPU/RAM is great! come with raid5 hot swap.

maybe it 's better than dedicated server.

all hotfix security patch are automatic download out there.

Well some VPS's are fully managed. The difference in price between a fully managed VPS and a fully managed dedicated server is more than a couple of dollars.
    A fully managed VPS is very easy to use, especially if you get a good control panel (Plesk). All you have to do is set some preferences, create a client account and a domain, and your off!

I'd highly recommend a vps. If you stuff up your server you can easily reload/rebuild from restore.

If anything goes wrong with the server and you can't get it going again, you just email noc and they will

I've recently got a vps from ServInt - they are wonderful - can't fault them.

Kind regards
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: NetworkPanda.

Originally posted by elix
    Those really small VPSs can't do much more than handle DNS if you ask me.

--GSV

You can't run a webhosting company out of them but you can run much more than just DNS.

I got a cheap VPS that runs Apache with php for around 4 sites, email with postfix and imap for around 12 accounts and apps like slrn and mutt without any problems.

Martin
    Checkout www.crunzh.com for nice freeware programs. Including a program for monitoring your webserver.
    Any opinions in this post, unless otherwise noted, are my own personal opinions.

The problem with the VPS comes when you have sites that need lot of CPU power. I host just one site in a Servint's VPS with 50-70GB bandwidth per month and the load almost never goes lower than 1.5-2.5 even with SCSI 15k etc....

Same site in a PIII 800 (dedicated) with IDE 10GB 5200 rpms is running in 0.2 load... C

Can anyone from the VPS experts explain me that?

Same site, same control panel, same software etc.

Thanks

Re: Is a VPS account worth it?

Toying with the idea of getting one to play with but are they worth bothering with considering for a few extra dollars you can get a full dedicated server at several places? Isn't there a risk that someone else on the same physical machine will kill it one way or another? Suppose they could be useful for running dns or something like that but how suitable are they for running mysql for example?
    Huh? A fully managed server is at LEAST $200/month. VPS servers for about 20gb and 300gb of bandwidth is like $50/month... seems more cost efficient to get a VPS, especially if you are running a small business or something.

-Trav

Huh? A fully managed server is at LEAST $200/month.
    Maybe so, but I don't require managed.

Maybe so, but I don't require managed.
    Yeah, but a VPS is still cheaper than most dedicated servers, unless you are getting a clearance server.

Depends really, there are pros and cons to both options.. higher specs for less money with a vps perhaps (although on a shared machine which may or may not be an issue) against higher bandwidth with a dedicated with lower specs (but no shared machine issues).

MegaCGI,

I've never personally had issues with a VPS - a well configured one will run just as well as a low-end (or even better) than a low-end dedi.

I would recommend you continue to research - a VPS is obviously something to look into for the pricing/control of it alone, compared to shared.. and I wouldn't necessarily consider it a step below a dedicated.. just like a little version.

I've never heard of anyone on a VPS (a properly configured one) having too much of an effect on anyone else, so the whole "shared problems" don't exist if you're with the right provider.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.