DIYhosting.com vs. Site5

who is the better of the two for reseller? I like cPanel as it is what we currently have and it would make a transition easier - but if DIY is the hands down choice by those of you that have greater experience in this than I, then that will be the deciding factor. From what I have gathered they are both pretty good.

Thanks for your collective thoughts!

Did you search the forum for latest reviews on DIY? Don't know about them anymore. Site 5 is OK, also ResellerZoom, HostingZoom and Bliksemhosting.com. These are the best choice.

Originally posted by sebydd
    Did you search the forum for latest reviews on DIY? Don't know about them anymore. Site 5 is OK, also ResellerZoom, HostingZoom and Bliksemhosting.com. These are the best choice.
    Im not certain you can group DIY in with site5, RZ, bliksemhosting, etc..

I would think they target a different audience....

Bubbat,

If you think that both of them are good, I suggest that you give both of them a try, and tell us your experience

Originally posted by CartikaHosting
    Im not certain you can group DIY in with site5, RZ, bliksemhosting, etc..

What do you mean by catering to a different audience? Maybe this would clarify which way I go. Site reselling is not our main business - first and foremost we are a design firm looking at expanding what we already offer our clients. For the time being, I couldn't even see us marketing as a host - the hosting would just be part in parcel with the site design etc.

Originally posted by foress
    Bubbat,

If you think that both of them are good, I suggest that you give both of them a try, and tell us your experience
    Unfortunately it would be difficult to try both, I really want to have one and stay there as long as I can - last thing I want to do is move a bunch of client sites around - this is a portion of our offering to our clients so in all reality the less amount of time I have to deal with setting all of this up the better.

Don't like the idea of guinnea pigging our clients either - they account for 50% of our revenue - last thing I want to do is end up in my current situation again.

Originally posted by BubbaT
    What do you mean by catering to a different audience? Maybe this would clarify which way I go. Site reselling is not our main business - first and foremost we are a design firm looking at expanding what we already offer our clients. For the time being, I couldn't even see us marketing as a host - the hosting would just be part in parcel with the site design etc.
    Hello BubbaT,

This sort of thing is very typical for designers. Obviously you do not want to focus on hosting, but, you have the opportunity for some streamed revenue as well as keeping everything in house...

However, reliability becomes VERY important for you. You do not want to put your design business at risk over hosting problems, etc...

Because of their price points, they tend to target different market segments...

You are not kidding, IMHOSTED.COM has already put us in an uncomfortable position. The last thing we want to do is offer our clients anything less that great RELIABLE service. And going from one bad supplier to another is not something that I want at all! Thus my joining this forum - which I must say has been an unbelievable resource!!!

I have been in constant contact with DIY Hosting and it does seem that the H-Sphere is a bit beyond our needs, especially how we handle the hosting bit - but it does cover what we need and allows for growth should we choose to give the hosting bit more face time with new clients that way only want hosting.

BubbaT,

I recently purchased a Linux/cPanel, dedicated server from DIY. I can't speak for their reseller hosting services, I assume however, that the support staff for both reseller and dedicated hosting is the same, if it is, you are on to a winner.

So far, they have been fantastic. I couldn't have asked for any more. They always go that one step further to help you.
    - Jamie Harrop

you should consider reading their forums. not sure about diy, but site5 has a thread where they have requested customer testimonials. current reply dates range from 5/16/2004 to 6/9/2005.

http://forums.site5.com/showthread.php?t=363
    ..::: The quality of a person's future life will be determined by their current and past behavior. :::..

Originally posted by karma!
    you should consider reading their forums. not sure about diy, but site5 has a thread where they have requested customer testimonials. current reply dates range from 5/16/2004 to 6/9/2005.

http://forums.site5.com/showthread.php?t=363
    hmmm, wonder if they delete any posts?
    Custom Website Design, Website Maintenance, WHMCS/AWBS themes.
    Custom Web Design
    Website Maintenance - Website Management - Website Updates
    Contact US

Originally posted by CartikaHosting
    I agree 100%.

You are not only deciding between hosting companies, you are also deciding between site control panels. While there are some similairities between H-Sphere and CPanel/WHM, there are also many differences.

H-Sphere resellers offer an incredible amount of features namely, the ability to offer different operating systems to customers - Windows, Linux, VPS Hosting.

But perhaps you're not interested in that and want a simple hosting solution that just works and your customers are already familiar with?

So the decision to go with a control panel is different to the decision to go with a hosting company.

In my experience it's generally easier to pick the control panel and harder to pick the hosting company, but almost impossible to pick them at the same time without considering them seperately.

Originally posted by jwebby
    hmmm, wonder if they delete any posts?
    All posts in the testimonial section have to be previewed by a moderator from what I understand.

And, alot of hosts edit/delete posts whether they say they do or not.

Originally posted by ScreamingEaglePC
    All posts in the testimonial section have to be previewed by a moderator from what I understand.

duly noted.
    ..::: The quality of a person's future life will be determined by their current and past behavior. :::..

Also, some customers get so mad (with or without reason) that they completey forget about manners. Foul language fills the post/thread and the host removes it. The customer gets even madder and posts an even more offensive post, only to be banned in the end. The unhappy customer then complains publically that "they remove negative reviews/comments".

Fact is that there are indeed abusive hosts... but there are quite a few abusive customers as well.