Reviews on first 3 Threads

I dont really know why but it looks to me like self promotion or so... i have been seeing lots of users who just register in WHT to make a great review about some host they are using. I say this because i dont think that i would register in WHT just to post a review on an hosting company that i just started to use...

It's a common occurance and almost always they get questioned and questioned again until they get rumbled
    -- Matthew

In my views most of the time they are spamming just to get their name out. They might be fake users created by the hosting company itself or on behalf of that company.
    Real Value Hosting - Every day hosting solutions since 2003
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting VPS Dedicated Servers True 24 x 7 x 365 Support

You cant really kill messages like that.
    Be honest. Who know sites like these anywayz.
    You have to be connected or forwarded to sites
    like these to get onto it.

So can t you automatically mention that a good
    review about a hoster is also automatically the hoster
    itself?.

I don't see a problem with it - I originally found this site back while looking for aid with one of the shared hosts I was "back then" (made2own.com) and found webhostingtalk - if I would have taken note of the reviews I most likely would have made my own review (and probably did, I can't remember now )..

That doesn't mean I was a thief/fraudster/liar, just a concerned shared user who had a domain hijacked!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Re: Reviews on first 3 Threads

Originally posted by Spaceh
    I dont really know why but it looks to me like self promotion or so... i have been seeing lots of users who just register in WHT to make a great review about some host they are using. I say this because i dont think that i would register in WHT just to post a review on an hosting company that i just started to use...
    75% of the time, someone reports such a post and we do extensive investigation. If after a while, the thread starter never returns to answer questions put forward, then the thread is removed. With the added pressure of new signups due to summer holidays up north, I suggest anyone suspecting anything suspicious use the report post link to draw our attention to these type of threads

I personally ignore any post pro or con to a host made by anyone with less then 100 posts.

I dont really know why but it looks to me like self promotion or so... i have been seeing lots of users who just register in WHT to make a great review about some host they are using.
    IMO it is normal human behavior.

You see, some people come here while searching for places where they can liberally tarnish a host's reputation. They signup and they do their thing.

Some people get here by accident and for some reason like the place. They decide to register and they feel like posting something. Since they're not exactly into hosting, what better or more on topic thing could they post than some info about their past hosting experiences?

Then there are the shills, who signup only to boost their or their friend's hosting company reputation. Most of these crack when they're under heavy fire, or are spotted instinctively by a member or moderator.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 06-13-2005 at 07:43 PM.

Originally posted by ArtieFishill
    I personally ignore any post pro or con to a host made by anyone with less then 100 posts.

Yeah! Down with noobs! Wait.. ouch.
    WHT is now used as the Universal Hosting Helpdesk.

I like to promote my services too, but WHT teached me a lot of stuffs and i love the fair play involved. So i simple promote my services honestly... i dont need to ask my friends or costumers to came here and make reviews about our services. Our company is growing and most of all is month to month promotion a costumer tells another and so on...

This is an interesting thread (but probably one that should be in the WHT-specific forum) IMO.

Anyhow, my belief is somewhat in line with ldcdc. I extend it by saying that many (including myself) buy a product/service in hopes that it will deliver or perform according to their expectations. They re-inforce this hope by writing reviews that seem to glorify the host but should, naturally, be taken with a grain of salt. The poster himself is concerned about the viability of his own review day-by-day as he continues to evaluate the service only to be let down.

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

Well, that really depends on a few things actually. There are some who already know about WHT and found there host here on WHT yet, they never registered. There are times when it is not spam if someone has less than 100 posts. I would say if the person includes the web host hosted and the review sounds honest with any 'holes' in it then, there is no problem.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by Zeyr
    Yeah! Down with noobs! Wait.. ouch.
    Owned I don't have a problem with people coming and having their first post as a review. That's no problem by me as long as they have proof that they're a customer. I know some of my customers have asked me where they could write a review, of course to my luck none of them have posted here ....
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

Originally posted by RefreshNet
    Owned I don't have a problem with people coming and having their first post as a review. That's no problem by me as long as they have proof that they're a customer. I know some of my customers have asked me where they could write a review, of course to my luck none of them have posted here ....

Maybe they just need a little encouragement - provide a link to WHT on your site; promote WHT and ...
    "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."