Experience with SolidInternet.com

Okay first off I'd like to start off explaining to let you all know that I've been hosting with Myacen / SolidInternet for it looks like coming onto 3 years now. I started with their Myacen plans and then moved to their better priced SolidInternet plans when they became available.

My current situation and why I've chose to leave SolidInternet: I have chosen to leave due to horrible server reliablility. I run a semi-large (4000+ member) phpBB message board and had CONTINUIOUS problems with connections. I spoke to the support and they told me that it was the phpBB software, not them. I stuck with it and thought I would wait it out, however it only got worse. I have transferred my website to a new hosting company and its running perfectly (phpBB software errors?? ha!) .

Now I am having the problem of them still billing my credit card after the account was cancelled.

And after all of this their forum support isn't available right now.
    Last edited by brettmeyers; 06-09-2005 at 09:03 PM.

Sorry to hear that you had to move.

Since Robert is a member here, I guess we'll have to postpone drawing conclusions until we hear the other side of the story. He should also be able to help you sort things out.

Their forums work fine for me at this time. Maybe they had a short problem or something?

Anyway, good luck with your new host!

Hello,

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to respond before making a decision in this case Dan.

My current situation and why I've chose to leave SolidInternet: I have chosen to leave due to horrible server reliability
    Really? http://uptime.alertra.com/uptime.php...850&id1=404438

I think for a budget provider the uptime we offer (the alertra link was the server you were on) is exceptional considering the fact we only offer a 99.5% sla, which as I should mention that we have paid out and will continue to do so if we fail to meet our advertised sla's.

run a semi-large (4000+ member) phpBB message board and had CONTINUIOUS problems with connections. I spoke to the support and they told me that it was the phpBB software, not them. I stuck with it and thought I would wait it out, however it only got worse. I have transferred my website to a new hosting company and its running perfectly (phpBB software errors?? ha!) .
    Correct it is phpbb, phpbb uses plenty of sql queries mixed with the amount of users online you’re going to run into our limits imposed on accounts of 20 concurrent sql connections. Frankly we host many boards vbb that is and they can hold 100 users online without any trouble. You can't seriously expect us to grant more sql connections to you for free and perhaps if you required more sql connections you should have upgraded your plan to support this. For the most part sites are fine on our servers but we need to impose some limits to ensure our users get the best possible service without being affected by other users sites be that a poor script or abuse.

Now I am having the problem of them still billing my credit card after the account was cancelled.
    Perhaps next time you will read the forum guidelines. It was taken care of however your account on the forums was banned due to your inability to follow guidelines. Guidelines are placed on the forums to prevent abuse.

Below is the extract of the forum guideline I refer to

2 - Billing queries will not be answered if your a solidinternet client with a question please email [email protected] if your a myacen client please submit a support ticket. Please do not establish a new post asking for a status update of your requests. If you do not receive a reply to a sales/billing query in 48 hours please resend your request to us.
    We don't put billing staff on the forums as billing queries often need verification of details and placing this on a public forum is not a wise idea. We care about privacy and the guidelines have been in place since July 1 2003.

Thanks
    Robert
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

I do apoligize for not reading through all of the forum guidelines about not posting anything regarding billing, however I did send an email to the billing email address and did not get a response. AND the billing problem has not been corrected yet either.

I don't quite see why you just didn't explain to me that I shouldn't have posted anything about billing and that you've taken care of the situation, but you go and ban my account on the support forum? I've been with you for a long time and to do that is outrageous, I've even still got a site with you so tell me how do I get support for that?

Originally posted by coight
    Correct it is phpbb, phpbb uses plenty of sql queries mixed with the amount of users online you’re going to run into our limits imposed on accounts of 20 concurrent sql connections. Frankly we host many boards vbb that is and they can hold 100 users online without any trouble. You can't seriously expect us to grant more sql connections to you for free and perhaps if you required more sql connections you should have upgraded your plan to support this. For the most part sites are fine on our servers but we need to impose some limits to ensure our users get the best possible service without being affected by other users sites be that a poor script or abuse.
    When on SolidInternet.com did you state about this limit of 20 connections? And why didn't you tell me that was the issue when I asked about it in the support forum? You kept saying that something was wrong with my phpBB, not that there was any limit, which I cannot seem to find mentioned on the website. You also mention that I should upgrade my plan, however I had the TOP plan you offered.

Originally posted by Twinky
    I use to have a problem with phpBB aswel...

i run phpBB on my hosting...

and it is VERY VERY slow...

in support all they do is find a way to blame me. 'There seems to be a problem with your template', 'We do not provide support 3rd party scripts' blah blah blah...

After i get enough money from webdesigning im just going to get a server
    Even running slow would be better than what I got.. I had the phpBB Critical Error: Could Not Connect To Database all the time.

SolidInternet - myacen

Originally posted by brettmeyers
    I do apoligize for not reading through all of the forum guidelines about not posting anything regarding billing, however I did send an email to the billing email address and did not get a response. AND the billing problem has not been corrected yet either.

When on SolidInternet.com did you state about this limit of 20 connections? And why didn't you tell me that was the issue when I asked about it in the support forum? You kept saying that something was wrong with my phpBB, not that there was any limit, which I cannot seem to find mentioned on the website. You also mention that I should upgrade my plan, however I had the TOP plan you offered.
    Reading through this thread as an impartial observer, I must say I find myself agreeing with Brettmeyer's sentiment. The host's attitude and response was disturbing to say the least, and I for one would no longer consider doing business with them (they were actually on my shortlist for a new host that I am seeking).

Re: SolidInternet - myacen

Originally posted by wbengal
    Reading through this thread as an impartial observer, I must say I find myself agreeing with Brettmeyer's sentiment. The host's attitude and response was disturbing to say the least, and I for one would no longer consider doing business with them (they were actually on my shortlist for a new host that I am seeking).
    Robert's a good chap. I'm sure there's more to the story than we know from this thread. We're only seeing snippets of what happened. I'm sure he wouldn't ban anyone for making a billing enquiry on their support forum.

brettmeyers, regarding the forum - you obviously need a VPS or a ded server for a forum of that size. Shared hosting has limits, and you pushed through those limits with the allocation of MySQL connections etc.

Do we speak about this company : http://www.solidnetsys.com?

I just signed up with them, because of this thread, and I believed it was this company, so I hope Im not wrong.

Now I try to e-mail them and I get the following error :

This is the Postfix program at host pasmtp.tele.dk.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program
    <[email protected]>: host schultz.solidnetsys.com[69.93.175.74] said:
    553 5.3.0 <[email protected]>... Unknown E-Mail Address (in reply to
    MAIL FROM command)

A bit scary..

trinitron although the companies have very similar names they are not the same. Coight's company is http://www.solidinternet.com. The owner of Solid Internet Systems posts regularly on WHT. But try contacting them directly for support first.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Originally posted by trinitron
    Do we speak about this company : http://www.solidnetsys.com?
    No.