How long is too long?

My dedicated server provider has taken almost 2 days to respond to a reboot request. Is this acceptable?

No it is not.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

How long would be a "acceptable" time be? Their website says 2 hours or less and when I emailed sales they only took 15 minutes to reply.

2 days for a reboot request?!?!?!

Acceptable terms would be in under an hour by my standards, you've waited 2 days and aren't foaming at the mouth?

Who hosts you? If I were you I'd start screaming left and right about this.

Submit your tickets, call them up. 2 days is HIGHLY unacceptable.

Originally posted by iamawesome
    How long would be a "acceptable" time be? Their website says 2 hours or less and when I emailed sales they only took 15 minutes to reply.
    There is no "acceptable" time that we can give you... it is what it is. Most providers should be able to do it in 15 minutes.

Find another host. Period.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Thanks for the advice. I will begin searching for a new host. It is not a top priority as I am not using this server for production purposes. Can anyone tell a good dedicated server host (one that you're not affiliated with )? My assumption is that the majority of the hosts in that advertise in the dedicated server offer section are generally not very good in terms of the support, as I had the same problem with the shared hosting section.

I recommend Steadfastnetworks. Remote reboot is included with each dedicated server and support is excellent.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Originally posted by ushdlew
    I recommend Steadfastnetworks. Remote reboot is included with each dedicated server and support is excellent.
    When they have internet in their offices

I have a Steadfast VPS and I like them alot. Definite reccomendation.
    Last edited by Alex; 06-09-2005 at 05:44 PM.

Does that mean that they sometimes lose connection in their offices? Can you confirm that?

Originally posted by iamawesome
    Does that mean that they sometimes lose connection in their offices? Can you confirm that?
    They have been having some internet problems recently because they moved offices into their datacenter. I think it has been cleared up though. I would still reccomend them, like I said before.

Fastservers (www.fastservers.net) is also a reasonably good provider. Minimal downtime with them over the past couple of years.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Steadfast Networks remote reboots are done via a seperate pannel and are technician independent. You literally just click "cycle power" (or something similar) and the power strip itself hard reboots your server.

And yes... 2 days is WAY too long. Double check that you sent the email to the right address and a ticket was created. If it took this long it may be a miscommunication. Don't jump ship before you know the ship is sinking...
    Nick Catalano
    Account Manager at Steadfast Networks
    Email/XMPP: nick @ steadfast.net | AIM: CatalanoNick

Well it turns out my server didn't crash, they're having serious networking problems. On the live chat, they said if I emailed sales I would be entitled to a full refund. I do not know if they will honor their word yet.

A top-notch host will be able to do it in 15 minutes; a decent one will be able to do it in an hour, or as soon as the guy running the show wakes up from his four hours of sleep on the DC floor; whichever's sooner. (While I count the downtime at 4AM into my averages, my two experiences with early-morning downtime have shown me that non mission-critical customers rarely notice or care.)

However, two days of downtime without an explanation is completely unacceptable if you're paying anything serious (more than $60/month) for a server. Take your refund and switch to a better host (Heck, even BurstNET; they at least kept folks informed during an outage.) If you've got $100/month (plus $20 for CPanel), JoseQ of TailoredServers.com comes highly recommended; he occaisionally offers deals in the Dedicated Server forum where he sells everything from Celerons to Dual Xeons with quad SCSI's for $99/month (the Xeon will run you a hefty $300 setup fee, though.) $70/month will get you a nice server at LayeredTech.com (plus CPanel).
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

Originally posted by adb22791
    When they have internet in their offices

I have a Steadfast VPS and I like them alot. Definite reccomendation.
    Yeah, I would just like to say that the issue has been fixed and that we now have full email and phone service in our new offices. We apologize for any troubles this has caused.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Originally posted by linux-tech
    Fastservers (www.fastservers.net) is also a reasonably good provider. Minimal downtime with them over the past couple of years.
    Thats not true the last 30 days. HE has had terrible outtages, and latency problems. Infact my server with them had 4 days in a row of outtages at one point. I am canceling my service with them at the end of the billing cycle.

But I do have to say their support staff has to be one of the better group of people I have dealt with.
    Last edited by concept; 06-10-2005 at 12:22 AM.

Thats not true the last 30 days. HE has had terrible outtages, and latency problems. Infact my server with them had 4 days in a row of outtages at one point. I am canceling my service with them at the end of the billing cycle.
    For the record, they're NOT putting new servers in the HE facility. They stopped doing that , ohhh, a few months back, so anything ordered will go directly to CF.

As far as the HE issues, please reread what I said:
    In the past 2 years, I've had minimal downtime. YES, I agree, that the past month has been absolutely horrid (I actually claimed 2.25 hrs in their SLA and they granted it). However, this is not typical of FS, and they know that this costs their customers $$$. Knowing this, they are already working on better peering arrangements.

In the past two years, I've seen very little downtime from Fremont, and that's a credit to FS as a company. Admittedly, yes, the past month has been crap, I'm not denying that, but hey, we ALL have bad days, no? It's how those bad days are dealt with that's key. They're dealing with that the best way they know how, by assessing the peering options, and re-evaluating the business model completely for Fremont.

Overall, I'd say that the service w/ FS has been outstanding, and the network top notch. While Fremont IS a concern (for existing customers), again, they're not putting anyone new on that network, they're putting 'em all in Iowa, according to Shane which, while new, is quite stable.

Don't let the past month get you down, this is SO not typical FS, it's not funny. Usually, they go months without any sort of major problem and catastrophy.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details