* Layerdtech Order ( Lets see how long this one takes )

Just ordered a server from layerdtech after reading reviews in this forum about there wicked support

Lets see how long it takes them to setup my box

If you chose a rapid deploy box, about 6 - 8 hours. Otherwise, it could possibly be up to 3 days (as they state).
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Ohh right - well i didnt order a rapid deploy - i am hoping its not upto 3 days tho has ive canceled my ev1 server and i need to ftp stuff across ekk!!

I guess it all depends on how many boxes they have in the queue.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Yep - i used to be with them really dont know why i changed over to ev1 i think i liked the thought of ev1s online chat system to tech support but they only say please submit a ticket via that so not much help really to be honest.

Do you have a server with layeredtech ?

I used to, not currently tho.

Originally posted by PlatinumSpace
    Ohh right - well i didnt order a rapid deploy - i am hoping its not upto 3 days tho has ive canceled my ev1 server and i need to ftp stuff across ekk!!
    Why would you ever want to cancel your old server before you have a new server up & running, and tested?

- Matt

did you get rid of it for any bad reason ?

plus whats your views on ev1s support ?

Matt,
    That's a good question. However, once I had a box with them that was cancelled but they left it up for a good 2-3 months after they stopped billing for it.

It might be an idea to do a full backup of your current server now..

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Originally posted by jslivko
    I used to, not currently tho.
    Because ive recieved really bad support with ev1 and ived asked them to cancel my server with a refund

they have said fine but it shall be offline within 24 hours

Not too long then

No, I didn't get rid of it for any reason in particular - just that I didn't need such a big box anymore.

As far as EV1's support, it's touch and go, depending on who you get. But more often than not, they will go the extra distance and help out where they can (if it doesn't take too much time). Otherwise, they'll just ask you to restore the OS back to factory.

(With the newer servers though, they have remote reboot/remote serial console/automated OS restore so most of that you can fix yourself if you have the prerequisite knowledge, other than if it's a hardware or abuse issue).

Overall, they're not bad for the money - same with LayeredTech.

Actually, if you read their Terms of Service, they say that they don't give refunds for any reason. Also, you have to remember that for all intensive purposes EV1Servers is UNmanaged (as is LayeredTech), but both will go out of their way to help customers if possible. If your new to server administration, I might suggest that you hire someone to secure and manage your server for you once you get it.

Yeah the problems i had with ev1 was one of there techs said it was allright to upgrade to 7.5 has ev1 support this then another tech said they dont support 7.5 after the migration lost about 50% of my data they refered it to plesk support after mucking around with it without reply for 2 days i then decided there support was a 2 sided story and they wasnt informing me with what was going on so i decided to move to layeredtech as there windows 2003 servers can come with plesk 7.5

Originally posted by jslivko
    No, I didn't get rid of it for any reason in particular - just that I didn't need such a big box anymore.

As far as EV1's support, it's touch and go, depending on who you get. But more often than not, they will go the extra distance and help out where they can (if it doesn't take too much time). Otherwise, they'll just ask you to restore the OS back to factory.

(With the newer servers though, they have remote reboot/remote serial console/automated OS restore so most of that you can fix yourself if you have the prerequisite knowledge, other than if it's a hardware or abuse issue).

Overall, they're not bad for the money - same with LayeredTech.
    if the problem is quite bad and you send an email to their customer support they will refund you but only on a case by case basics .

i did send layerdtechs sales support an email before i ordered and still no reply from them

there not so open like ev1 but its not the nice pictures of the datacentre and staff i am after here

Well, who did the upgrade, them or you? If they did it, then they have a right to either fix it or refund you and let you go on your merry way.

If you did it, then they have no responsibility to fix it other than to submit the case for investigation to the software developer (SWSoft) and/or try and troubleshoot it themselves, which by your own admission they did. I don't see grounds for a refund if that is indeed the case.

As for the data loss, that is unfortunate, but "upgrades" and "migrations" like this are usually better done to a fresh server with no customers on them to prevent something like this from happening. Granted, you'd be paying for 2 servers for one month, but it'd be alot easier than going through the hassle and headache of moving hosts. It's times like this when I say "backups, backups, backups".

In any event, regardless of what Customer Service said, legally they have no right to give you a refund (and if you try a chargeback and they show your credit card company their ToS, then the card company will have no other option but to cancel the chargeback in their favor.)

they have allready gave me the refund , has there support adviced wrongly and there turnaround times was poor so they issued a refund for this month as goodwill

but i only paid for the full month 4 days ago so all in all it was fair

If you paid only 4 days ago, then you might have ethical grounds for a refund, but not a legal one. But, I still don't understand who actually did the upgrade/migration.

i personally done the upgrade so all in all its my fault but there was alot of trouble tickets to the licence upgrade and ev1 saying they dont support 7.5 and wont put the new licence in and another person saying they could they then refered it to plesk and esculated to there webtech department who wasnt very helpful , on there member upgrade they offer the upgraded licence but certain members of there support say they dont offer it and wouldnt help me atall

Sure, they could probbably provision the license for you - but beyond that, your on your own is what it sounds like they said.

PlatiniumSpace,

First of all, welcome to WHT - you have found a great community!

I have a few inquries / corrections to your statements for you.

1) Why would you cancel your old server when your new server is not even up and secured, nevermind has your old data on it?

2) If you conducted this Plesk upgrade yourself then, EV1 has no obligation to help you fix the errors caused by it. They are correct to send you to SW-Soft. Remember that EV1 offers self-managed servers and not fully managed servers. Did you conduct this upgrade yourself?

3) Are you handling things on your server by yourself? If so, you might want to hire a professional server administrator to lock down your server and do upgrades such as the Plesk upgrade properly to cause little if any problems.

4) Last time I checked, EV1 only did sales support with their live chat. Most companies do this, anyway. It is perfectly OK if they direct you to make a ticket as they will have a complete paper trail of their responses and your inquiries / requests.

5) Not to be harsh but, the problems that you are experiencing seem to be completely your fault if I am not mistsaken. LayeredTech offers 100% self-managed servers as does EV1. Because most of the problems you had with EV1 were related to server management, there is no reason why you will not have those problems with LayaredTech.

Put simply, you need to re-think your plan for managing your dedicated server and you do need to watch your statements and watch who you are blaming in this situation. Please consider hiring a professional server administrator.

If you have reached here in my post, I applaud you.

--GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

yeah i am not totally complaining with ev1 they have been allright

but with some of the tickets i have submitted they have mucked me around a bit concerning my questions before i upgraded i asked if they install the new licence and they said yes , after i upgraded they said they dont support it and there was confusion to my one support person said yes they can and why another said they couldnt which then they esculated to there suprivisor - i understand the migration was completly at my own risk and its another one of lifes lession losing 6 months of my website work

i have chossen to go with layerdtech rather than stay with ev1 is that layerdtech offer plesk 7.5 as ev1 only support upto 7

thanks for the welcome

PlatinumSpace,

Maybe EV1 *does* offer that version of Plesk. Perhaps, when they said they don't support it, that may mean the scope of their support does not fit the problems you are having? In other words, that their support is not obligated to help may be what they meant by saying that.

--GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

nope there wording was we dont support that version of plesk in other words they wont install the liecence for it they refuse too -

Well if you didnt go for the rapid deploy (I am not LT here just know the drill) you are probably waiting for a 3 days for a setup. Its just the way it is. Generally worth it but you should have factored that in before cancelling.

I hope you dont have customers.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Nah not at the moment , just personal sites and friends sites

Platinum,

Can you please contact us ASAP via phone or using our support portal at http://support.layeredtech.com we are unable to reach you at the email address you have provided and need some more information.

Thanks,

Jeremy