Can a 100% static site cause high server load??

One of my site was disabled by my host recently. The reason given to me was that it cause a very high server load. Now my site is not using any script / php whatsoever. Its consists of 100% static html pages only.

Further, the site is getting about 5000 unique visitors a day and its data transfer is around 1 gb - 1.2 gb on a daily basis. I am using this site on a 100+GB data transfer reseller account.

So, my question is, is it possible that this site could cause high CPU load. I asked the same question from my host but no reply..

So any answer here at WHT??

You're being ripped off, simple as that. The guy was overselling and you called him on it. You're using too much of his resources for him to be profitable on your account, and as such you're being dropped.

You should probably go with a more honest provider who you would be paying more to, or get yourself a dedicated server.
    TWSites.com - Business Web Hosting Solutions & Server Management Since 2003

5000 uniques, totally static content, 1-1.2G per day? That should be literally no load on a server typically. I'd be skeptical about the claims that it's your web site dragging the server down and not someone/something else on that server....
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

"no load on a server typically"?

It's no load on anything you could reasonably describe as a server. Even a first-gen Pentium could move that with ease.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Ive seen static sites that serve huge files everyday, perhaps 200 GB+ a day and still see no hiccup at all.

Guess your host really wants u to leave.

Unless your host provided proof of the load your getting ripped off...

In the words of steve miller, "Go on take YOUR money and run"
    HostXM - Going the extra mile since 2001
    http://www.hostxm.com

To top it all, my site was disabled without any advance warning to me. I came to know about it only after my site was suspended for more than 12 hours.

And my host is one who is getting so many positive review on WHT and is very very popular at WHT.

I guess its time to find a new host..

So, who is it?
    //N!cklas

That is suprising. HTML sites have never caused problems that I know of. They just sit there and do what they do and you never notice them.
    -- Matthew

sakg,

If the site you speak of is the one if your profile - I can see some PHP used in it.

--GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by elix
    sakg,

If the site you speak of is the one if your profile - I can see some PHP used in it.

--GSV
    The site in my profile do use php.. in fact, it's a 100% php based site.

But my other site which is 100% static was suspended by by host. In fact, first they suspended my other site which is php based site. I moved this php site to a new host. When I moved this site I asked them is there any problem with my other site. And they said .. its fine.

But within a week they suspended two more sites. One of them was a php site and another static site. I am in the process of moving out.

Originally posted by N!cklas

So, who is it?
    Its sonataweb.net.

I was very much satisfied with their support otherwise. I had two reseller account of 125GB each with them (signed in a span of 15 days). When I moved my first site, they even refunded the payment for second month.

Now I have taken a VPS from servint (again on the recommendation of Terry from sonataweb) and am in the process of moving my sites. But still I must say that they should not have suspended my static site in first place .

I hope this will be a blessing in disguise as I am going to work with my first VPS and I am getting used to it really fast.

You forgot to mention we disabled TWO of your sites. One was admittingly, not causing a high load on the server, and was mistakenly suspended.

Clearly your 2nd site (which I won't mention the name of since you didn't) was a resource hog. With your site being hosted by the us the load of the server was 4+. The load is now under 1. I think it's clear what the outcome is. It's not as if we use some weak Celeron server either, this was on a P4 3.0 GHz with 2 GB's of Ram and SATA Drives. If you'd like I have logs that monitor the load of the server every 5 minutes, I can show the "WHT Crowd" the load of the server with your sites being hosted by us, and without them.

To top it all, my site was disabled without any advance warning to me. I came to know about it only after my site was suspended for more than 12 hours.
    You were emailed at 1:21 AM by me personally, 2 minutes after your websites were suspended. There's several others users on the machine that deserve that quality hosting -- I'm more than willing to sacrifice one if it means pleasing others. This is a shared hosting account, you have to realize that. The servers aren't for your personal recreational use to test your scripts out and host sites blowing through 120 GB's of bandwidth a month with over 80 concurrent visitors on them at one time, all powered by PHP & MySQL.

Please, if you're going to tell a "story" tell the whole story.
    Last edited by IGobyTerry; 06-10-2005 at 07:06 PM.

Originally posted by inogenius
    You forgot to mention we disabled TWO of your sites. One was admittingly, not causing a high load on the server, and was mistakenly suspended.

Please, if you're going to tell a "story" tell the whole story.
    Dont get offended so much (I guess you have been used to read only good review). I have told the whole story. Please read my post carefully.

I have clearly mentioned that you suspended two sites one of which was using PHP. Its only here that you admitted that one site was mistakenly suspended. If you or anyone from your support have informed me (even after my two emails on the subject) I wouldn't even have posted this thread here. I was sincerely wanted to know if a static site could cause server load.

Further, I have never got any email from you about suspension of my site from you as mentioned in your post.

Terry, If anyone read my post without bias, anyone can understand that I was not that much critical of your company, but you seems toooooooo much bothered just because I told the truth. You know I wrote you about my static site being suspended wrongly and asked you if I can continue this site at your server. You reply that write to support not to me about this. It was when I have send the copy of my email to support as well. I have not yet received any reply till date to that ticket.

The servers aren't for your personal recreational use to test your scripts out and host sites blowing through 120 GB's of bandwidth a month with over 80 concurrent visitors on them at one time, all powered by PHP & MySQL.
    Now, you are really going beyond reasonable. If my sites are blowing through 120GB a month that why I bought 2 reseller account with 125 GB a month from you. And I am not testing my scripts on your server. These site are not made in one day. I have hosted these sites with my previous host for more than 2 year without any problem. The reason I swithed is that he closed the business and is practically unaccessible.

I was really thinking of continuing with my second reseller account with you. I have already shifted my PHP site (the other one suspended by you). I didn't cancelled my PayPal subsciption and I paid your company my monthly charges (for second month) today only. But after seeing your above post, may be I have to reconsider my decision.

If you'd like I have logs that monitor the load of the server every 5 minutes, I can show the "WHT Crowd" the load of the server with your sites being hosted by us, and without them.
    I will request "The WHT crowd" as Terry has mentioned in his post to comment.

I have requested sonataweb to refund my payment which I made on 10th June. But they simply choose not to respond.

What alternate I have??

Originally posted by sakg
    I have requested sonataweb to refund my payment which I made on 10th June. But they simply choose not to respond.

What alternate I have??
    You just sent the email today, 4 hours ago to be exact. You'll get your refund tonight when I process the cancellation.