Thread: more ram??

more ram??

hello may sound like a dumn question to most of you but i have ac omputer that im about to buy looking to get some more ram, can i just go to a local computrer sotre and just buy some ram or does it have to be based on your processor or w/e?

i have 256 mb now of ram but im looking to throw it up to 512 or 768, can i just go to a sotore pick up the ram that i like or best fits in my pricing? and then put it inside of my computer? or do i have to have it so it fits my processor??

Re: more ram??

Originally posted by StanSQL
    hello may sound like a dumn question to most of you but i have ac omputer that im about to buy looking to get some more ram, can i just go to a local computrer sotre and just buy some ram or does it have to be based on your processor or w/e?

i have 256 mb now of ram but im looking to throw it up to 512 or 768, can i just go to a sotore pick up the ram that i like or best fits in my pricing? and then put it inside of my computer? or do i have to have it so it fits my processor??
    You have to admit there is a comical irony in the fact that you misspelled the word dumb.

RAM will be based on the type of system you have. Everything from the motherboard to the CPU and the RAM that is already in the system.

The best place for RAM upgrade (IMHO) is www.crucial.com

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Re: Re: more ram??

Originally posted by sirius

The best place for RAM upgrade (IMHO) is www.crucial.com

Sirius
    Maybe the best place to check what type of RAM for a specific pre built system. Definitely not the best place to buy it.
    Affordable web hosting, design, & domain registration services since 2001
    www.serve-you.net

Re: Re: Re: more ram??

Originally posted by serve-you
    Maybe the best place to check what type of RAM for a specific pre built system. Definitely not the best place to buy it.
    That's your opinion. As I stated in my post, IMHO (In my humble opinion....) it is the best place to buy it. But thanks for offering nothing to the thread.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Crucial are THE ram people in my opinion. Certainly I would reccomend with going with a brand name ram stick e.g. crucial, cosair, samsung, etc.

Cheap ram just breaks and isn't much cheaper......

Jona

Find what type of RAM You need on crucial then go to newegg and get it there (It will probably be cheaper).
    Corsair, Samsung, Mushkin, and Kingston are all pretty good.

I second crucial. Got my ram from them. Very stable and no problem running day and night.

Corsair is good, but you should check out the site posted (newegg.com), don't get it from the company site :-)

256Mb sounds kinda old, make sure its not PC100/133 etc so you dont go buying incorrect rams. And buy ones at correct clocks.
    It's Scott!

the first step you should really take stansql is to check what motherboard you have.

Open up the computer case, and the model number/make should be printed on teh motherboard. Then go to the makers website and read the RAM specification.

It is most probably (if its a fairly new system, p4 or athlon etc, ddr pc2100/2700. However, if its an older chipset it will be SDRAM pc133.) If you check up with your motherboard manuafactorer it will certainly tell you what you need.

I havent really bought from crucial before (for home use any way), i find corsair very good.