Road Runner, Comcast, Verizon, Pacbell spam policies

What do these large companies do when they receive a report (and logs) that their broadband customers are sending mass amounts of spam and virii.

I've sent thousands of emails with complaints including logs, dates, times, ips but I feel that these emails will be disregarded.

Do these broadband providers shutdown accounts with infected computers? I've cleaned many many computers with virii which were certainly sending out spam, and I've never heard from a customer that their broadband ISP is threatening to disable their account because of it.

Maybe it's time to pressure them to do something. I send as many spam reports as possible to show them that I will continue to report it.

Perhaps a petition of thousands of web hosts and large companies that threaten to block these large ISPs if they do not take action will have an impact? If no one holds them responsible, then they have no reason to take action against their customers, and the problem will only get worse.
    Avi Brender
    Reliable Web Hosting by Elite Hosts, Inc
    CPANEL Reseller Hosting - Fantastico - Rvskins - ClientExec

Re: Road Runner, Comcast, Verizon, Pacbell spam policies

Originally posted by MaB
    I've sent thousands of emails with complaints including logs, dates, times, ips but I feel that these emails will be disregarded.
    Have they responded or taken any action? No? There's your answer.

The large broadband providers are notorious for disregarding abuse reports. This is nothing new.

-B

And perhaps they are getting away with it because no one does anything about it
    Avi Brender

One thing that I have noticed with at least some of the hosting companies and data centers when I report the spam to (especially in the US) - I always put : SPAM from you IP address and for some reason that tends to get noticed a bit more.

I have actually received a reply from Road Runner once as well as another major carrier telling me that they are looking into it. It did surprise me but it was something other than the generic form letter

What do these large companies do when they receive a report (and logs) that their broadband customers are sending mass amounts of spam and virii.
    I knew a Comcast customer who had their computer hacked by a spammer and used to send out tons of it. From what she described it sounds like Comcast first tries to contact the customer, and if no contact is made within 24 hours then service is cut off.

Perhaps a petition of thousands of web hosts and large companies that threaten to block these large ISPs if they do not take action will have an impact? If no one holds them responsible, then they have no reason to take action against their customers, and the problem will only get worse.
    I'm sure the big ISPs are concerned about the amount of upstream being abused.

I've heard somewhere that a fresh-install of XP SP1 connected to the internet can be compromised before the user types in his password. So my guess is the big ISPs are doing something about SPAM but they just don't have the manpower available to deal with all the zombies out there.
    SolidState - Open Source Billing Solution for Web Hosts

Originally posted by MaB
    Yup, that's about it in a nutshell.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be flip with my original reply. As a man of principal (I recently left Roadrunner because they would not shut down a fellow RR customer whose infected machine was spamming me daily for months, and am moving my production machines away from The Planet because of the growing spam-tolerance and general ineptitude of their abuse department), I am -very- much in agreement with you on this.

That said....If this were 7-10 years ago, then maybe the idea of banding together against lax/irresponsible providers would have some merit. Actually, it does have merit, but it has little chance of happening. People are very much in "I've got mine" mode these days; there seems to be very little interest in doing anything for the common good anymore. As much as I'd love to see it happen, I'm not holding my breath.

-B

Originally posted by TMX
    Yup, that's about it in a nutshell.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be flip with my original reply. As a man of principal (I recently left Roadrunner because they would not shut down a fellow RR customer whose infected machine was spamming me daily for months, and am moving my production machines away from The Planet because of the growing spam-tolerance and general ineptitude of their abuse department), I am -very- much in agreement with you on this.-B
    This happened to me actually about a year ago with PacBell. I called their customer service and of course know one knew what to do to. I could not get hardly anyone to contact me either because I was not a PacBell customer.

I started calling on Thursday and by Saturday I was finally transferred to someone who used a little common sense intead of trying to read a screen in front of them. By the time the call was done, they had shut down the service

(yeah I know I can be persistent at times )

Originally posted by Corey Bryant
    I started calling on Thursday and by Saturday I was finally transferred to someone who used a little common sense intead of trying to read a screen in front of them. By the time the call was done, they had shut down the service

(yeah I know I can be persistent at times )
    I've got logs of a verizon customers computer who is sending out virii in email to our servers - I will call tomorrow and demand to speak to a manager and I will not stop until I'm guaranteed that the account will be suspended... spam is one thing - sending out virii to infect other computers is something that I won't let slide without a fight.

I hope that every ISP and web host here takes the time to email spam reports religiously and then call and follow up with severe cases until something gets done
    Avi Brender

Originally posted by MaB
    Things are done about it.

http://www.spews.org
    http://www.sorbs.net
    http://www.spamhaus.org

Of course, you will find a vocal group that hates the "put the pressure" on them approach as well.

Well after spending time this morning bouncing from 1 dept to another at Verizon to report a customer of theirs sending out VIRII - they've said that they cannot terminate the account because it would leave them open to a lawsuite... they said "how would you feel if your account was just suspended?"

I said "I've forwarded you, and I'm willing to forward you again the EXACT date, time and IP address as well as the logs of EXACTLY what viruses were sent through our email gateway which you can use to show your :customer" that they are infact sending out virii and that it is against the verizon Terms of Service and AUP and is grounds for termination"

They kept saying that they couldn't do it, all they could do is forward to [email protected] which I've done days ago...

I told the last manager that I spoke to "I guess that $30/month you get from this customer is worth it for you... after all, it's your computer thats getting destroyed by this computer thats sending out virii, but one day it will be."

If a computer on the Verizon network had hacked NASA, I'm sure that they'd have a way of suspending the account...
    Avi Brender