Question on Hosting & Maintaining

Newbie to the Forum, I have just finished getting my buisness website completed. A local internet service provider designed this site. I have around 1.5 MB 6 pages nothing fancy and they want to provide hosting/maintaining for $100 a month. I felt this was a little too high. I see other sites advertising for $4.95 and up per month. Now I realize that is just for hosting. So what I need help on is understanding where that extra money charge each month is coming from. As far as maintaining the site there will be no changes or if any maybe 1 or 2 within a year. Can someone enlighten me to this new world of website hosting/maintaining. Thanks ahead for any help.

aslinc

100 a month would be insane for a site that should have no issue fitting on a shared service.

They're most likely just charging 'more', doesn't necessarily mean a better product overall.

Ask them why they're better than anyone else- they may give you a decent answer but I don't think you should go with it either way.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Thanks for the input David. As I posted earlier I am new to all this. I'm just trying to get a grip on what services I really need. This ISP has just opened up here locally and I decided to give them a shot with it. They did a great job with the website but during the building of it we discussed hosting/maintaining 3 different times. First it was going to be $45per/month, thats when we were talking about 3 pages. The next time around $85per.month but it was up to 4 or 5 pages. The 3 time was $250. When he told me that it was like NO, but -ell NO. I told him we are going to have to sit down an talk about this. Well, he came back with this last charge (offer)of $100. He did tell me he would throw in free dial up service with this. I will surf the forum and see if I can find more info out about these services and what companies to deal with. I didn't mean to ramble on but I just need some guidence on this matter.

I don't see how $100 is worth hosting and dialup, lets take aol for example, they are the highest priced provider right now at $24.95 per month, and lets take an average $10 shared hosting and we get $34.95 per month, which is no where near the $100 per month you were quoted.

Almost any webhost for a small fee will modify a page for you as long as its something simple and happens very rarely, so one month you'll pay a little more.

Stay Frosty!
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting Managed Dedicated Servers SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 www.webair.com 24/7/365 Support Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

You should look for a shared host in the offers section, you will find most offers to be under $10/month.

For $100/month you can get a dedicated server, which you do not need.

Remember, just because they are expensive does not mean they are the best. You have to search around for the best suitable host for your needs!

I have around 1.5 MB 6 pages nothing fancy
    In all honesty, that doesn't sound like a site that will need a lot of in terms of maintaining. Is it a brochure type site? How often to you plan to make chances to it?

ISPs are rather known for being rather pricy when it comes to hosting services for example; that's because they know that the local market that they target can generally handle/accept these higher prices.

Is there a college in your area? Maybe you can find some students who have a passion for webmastering/web design and would be more than happy to help you out for what will most likely be a much lower price. With the design part sorted, you could then get hosting anywhere you want.

$100 would be right if they would be updating the website for you tons of times a month and adding/editing content but you say once or twice, a year? And plus, only 6 pages? There's no need for you to be dishing out $100 to them every single month. Some people don't even pay that much for a dedicated server. My advice to you is to first tell them to screw off with the hosting. After you do that, check out the Shared/Reselling Hosting Offers forum and find a good company that can suit your needs. I'm sure you can find a very cheap plan since I doubt you will need much bandwidth.

Good luck
    X5 Internet - Cheap, affordable web hosting w/ dedicated solutions!
    24/7 support, 99.9% uptime, cPanel & More

..Everything you want from a hosting company..

$100 a month for a 6 pages website is a rip off

Hi,

This does seem a tad expansive, maybe you should use the search system here at WHT to give you a better idea.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/request.php
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Domain Registration
    Free 24/7 support H-Sphere control panel
    www.GuardianServe.com
    [email protected]

Originally posted by x5internet
    $My advice to you is to first tell them to screw off with the hosting.
    Sure sounds like a professional response.

How about just let them know that their pricing isn't competitive with the webhosting industry, and look for an alternate.

simple enough, weigh in the alternatives and then choose what you think is best based on your research.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Don't use request.php, no one uses it anymore.

Gosh folks, thanks for all the responses and help. I have to meet with them Friday AM. Who creates these so called (meda-keys). Do they come with the website design part? Or does the hosting company create them for you? Thats all it seems to be left for them to do. I'll know more tomorrow after the small meeting we are having. I'll also check around the site here in the meantime. I'll keep you posted on the outcome. Thanks again for all the help.

aslinc

Yup ISP are well known to charge a whole bunch for nothing really. As well phone companies do the same thing. No matter how good the deal is I would double check with WHT to see if it is a good deal or not. I would never pay $100.00 a month for someone to update and watch the site. Not a 6 page site at least.