spamd using a lot of memory, should i turn it off ?

Spamd (spamassassin ?) is using up a lot of memory on my server. I have 512mb of ram and at the moment upgrading it is out of question.

So i went ahead and disabeled spam assassin in WHM and then did killall spamd in ssh.

Any issues i should be aware of ?

See what user the process is running as. If it's a specific user, check their /home/user/.spamassassin directory to see if any autowhitelist, bayes, etc. files are too large or if their account has met their disk quota. Check the email logs to see if there's any errors, any files are staying in a locked state, etc.

Ahmed,

Better try to decrease the number of SA childrens , I think the default is 5 running each consumes ~15-20MB , you can set this safely to only 2.
    knowledge is Power , Spread it.
    www.e-tutankhamun.com
    [email protected]
    AIM:AhmedFouad0 , yahooID:xor2004

How to limit spamassassin childrens ?

Assuming you are using cPanel , it can be done from WHM -> Addons -> SA configurations

and for any system this can be done from the init. script which is usually located at /etc/init.d/spamassassin

The default configuration is

SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -c -a"

You should use the -m option

-m number , --max-children=number

This option specifies the maximum number of children to spawn. Spamd will spawn that number of children, then sleep in the background until a child dies, wherein it will go and spawn a new child.
    Incoming connections can still occur if all of the children are busy, however those connections will be queued waiting for a free child. The minimum value is 1, the default value is 5.

Please note that there is a OS specific maximum of connections that can be queued (Try perl -MSocket -e'print SOMAXCONN' to find this maximum).
    knowledge is Power , Spread it.
    www.e-tutankhamun.com
    [email protected]
    AIM:AhmedFouad0 , yahooID:xor2004