E-mail - MX Problems

Hi,

New to the forum, hopefully I can find some answers.

I have a dedicated server that I am running. I am locating in Toronto and many of my clients who use the server are in Vancouver. Vancouver has a highspeed provider called SHAW. My clients can't receive e-mails from users sending e-mail from SHAW. BUT they can receive e-mails from everyone else!

I have followed up with SHAW and this is what they said:

The problem here is that racketsandrunners.ca does not have a valid MX
    record, which means that when we lookup the MX record we are just directed
    back to racketsandrunners.ca as a CNAME to mail.racketsandrunners.ca. Some
    larger mailservers, like our own, cannot handle a virtual or aliased mail
    host, and so if this hosting company were to change the CNAME for
    mail.racketsandrunners.ca to an A record pointing to 72.9.248.50, then the
    email system should accept mail from us.
    I have played with the settings on a test account, but no luck yet. It is very frustrating.
    My server runs WHM and Cpanel.

Please help!!!! A screen shot of how it should be is something I need to find, but I can't find it.

The image included is how it is set up right now. (I did make some changes, but I'm still receiving e-mail.)

Thanks.

I found a screenshot that might help you better setup your DNS in WHM:

http://www.reachcustomersonline.com/...m_dns_1024.jpg

Two things of importance here are (1) an "A" record for mail.yourdomain.com and (2) the MX record pointing to mail.yourdomain.com.

When done, visit http://www.dnsreport.com/ to confirm the setup.

Good luck!
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Dont really know if this is the solution but i had a similar problem and it was related with reverse DNS, ask you NOC to set it up to you, maybe you will get it to deliver mail that way...

With Shaw (and Rogers) in Canada - just add the A record they are asking for...

Not sure how to do this in cPanel - but, in hsphere - just select the domain, then edit dns record...

Also - as Spaceh suggested, make sure you have the NOC setup rDNS from you....
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Excellent information. I've made the changes to the domain, but I'm not sure at what level I do the rDNS changes. Do I have to edit the DNS settings for my nameserver (akiwebhosting.net)? or for the domain?

Also in the image example provided, the two A records added, where is says ns1.anotherdns.com I'm assuming I don't put this in because I don't have a back up server.

Thanks so much, hopefully I'm getting closer...

probably a dns issue.

Spaceh has a good point regarding reverse DNS. Usually the data center where the server resides is responsible for setting that up, so there isn't anything you can normally do from your end. Email them and make that request. I see that the IP address of your mail server doesn't have reverse DNS (otherwise known as a "PTR" record).

Reverse DNS is most commonly associated with problems sending email to AOL. AOL has that as a requirement for sending them email. See http://postmaster.aol.com/ for further info. I don't think it is related to the issue you originally posted about.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

A little off topic but it still is good to know when dealing with Vancouver Customers...

Customers who are on TELUS (the local DLS/telephone provider in Vancouver)....

If they are having trouble sending mail through your server while using your ourgoing SMTP server be sure to tell them to use smtp.telus.net. I think SHAW does the same thing but I do not know their outgoing smtp server. Probably smtp.shaw.ca

Telus and Shaw blocks all outgoing smtp requests that are not using their servers. Why I don't know, all it does is use more of their bandwidth to process all of their customers email.

You probably knew this but I thought I would jump in and post it anyway.

C
    Mega Hosters Inc. - The Last Host You Will Ever Need!
    Hsphere Control Panel, 24/7 Phone Support, EasyApp, Shared SSL, Daily Backups, Dedicated IPs, PHP4 & PHP5, FFMPEG, Legal Adult Content Allowed + More!
    Treating A Customer The Way They Should Be Treated For Over 5.5 Years Now!