Subnet Masks and Multiple IP Addresses

I've just got a new server. In Local Area Network properties I see:

IP Address: 1.2.3.244
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.240

I was trying to bind additional IPs to this machine. After playing with it for a few minutes I realized I could successfully add:

IP Address: 1.2.3.245
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

OR I could add:

IP Address: 1.2.3.245
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.240

Can someone please explain to me why the above two work? I somewhat understand subnet masks, but am not totally sure what is going on here.

Andrew

This is a windows machine by the way. Not that I think it matters, as this should be a numbers game, and nothing to do with Microsoft I don't think.

When you say successfully exactly what do you mean? Do you mean it simply let you put them in, or did they both respond successfully?

As far as I know, only one should work and that is the one with the same netmask as the default gateway unless you have specified additional gateways.

I mean I was able to put those two subnet masks in, and I was able to ping that IP address and do web hosting off of them. I agree, that it seems odd that both 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.255.240 work. And no, I only have one default gateway set up as 1.2.3.241, but I don't know what it's subnet mask is.

Andrew

They would both work because ideally as long as you only used IPs within your assigned subnet it 'should' be switched/routed properly (ymmv there). If you tried to use IP'd below your own assigned subnet (as it looks like you have the tail end of the /24 in question) then you would start seeing things begin to break.