Thread: Stupidity.

Red face Stupidity.

Yesterday I watched an interesting documentary titled "Stupidity". To my surprise, none of the surveyed people could describe how does one decide that something is stupid when you see it.

Despite our culture's extensive access to knowledge and information, humans continue to choose stupidity. Why?

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Why? This one has a rather simple answer. It's the easiest choice. Remember, people are lazy.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Lorand, how do you then define something as stupid (or act of stupidity)?

Like let's say that I like take a gun and start playing with it and like accidentally like shoot myself or like oh my gosh... set myself on fire or something while trying to light a candle.

Like oh man that would be like pretty stupid.

You're all stupid.
    Cody Watson
    Business Student @ SFU [Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Management & Technology, Co-op Certificate, Honours]

Stupidity or more of a concept, but it can be largely equated to acts that define the logical, basic knowledge, acting in argument with common, proven facts.

You're right Artashes, it's quite hard to describe stupidity on a level that everyone understands.

Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Originally posted by Lorand M
    Stupidity or more of a concept, but it can be largely equated to acts that define the logical, basic knowledge, acting in argument with common, proven facts.
    So are you talking more of an IQ way of intelligence? How about Emotional stupidity, natural stupidity, genetical stupidity, political stupidity, social stupidity, etc? Who sets the rules, definitions, limitations?

EDIT: Just noticed your added sentence. See, it is very hard to define. I didn't expect it to be easy. I've been thinking about it for the second day straight.

Mine was absolute basic understanding of stupidity. Of course intelligence plays an important role in it. But then again, acts of stupidity can occur by mistake, lapsuses, influenced by groups, group leaders and so on.

Now, after all, "stupidity is in fact the foundation of our civilization".
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Originally posted by Lorand M
    But then again, acts of stupidity can occur by mistake, lapsuses, influenced by groups, group leaders and so on.
    Sure... but then how do you know its stupid?

See, its like a mystery cycle.

An act which defies sense. For example, voting for bush or blair
    Basically stupid is where somebody does something which can only be explained by the person not being capable or not actioning basic though processes that most people would be capable of, like oh , not dressing your kids up in camo and letting them out of your sight at a firing range, that would be sensible. Not to do so would be stupid. Or not checking and double checking the breaks on a wagon (Im thinking of a particular incident at a company I worked for where some moron was too busy 'reading' page 3 and managed to kill several colleagues with a truck) when you go for a cup of tea. Actions which defy belief, actions to which most normal people would naturally avoid.
    But what the hell, in today's society of zero culpability, sue rather then have to think, what do you expect. Its easier to sue rather then actually have to think. Some moron is trying to sue the owner of a resovior here after they nearly died after walking past the signs warning them it was dangerous. Apparently it wasn't their fault they were too damn stupid to read the signs and they weren't physically impeeded. The sooner we let stupid people kill themselves the sooner theyll stop killing others by 'accident' and the gene pool can start to recover from the last 50 years of abuse.
    --
    Rich

I don't know about the rest of you, but my mom always told me stupid is as stupid does.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Stupid does and stupid sues. The same mantra but for a new millenium
    --
    Rich

stupidity can be used as an accuse for an example. If you do horrible through k - 3rd grade they give you a test and if you fail it they put you in a special education class therefore making your life easier all the way to highschool. I've always wondered why I was so clever do this and get easy work compared to others... playing stupid can reap alot of benefits, but be sure to read and educate yourself along the way so you're not stupid in the end.
    Kerry Jones

Now all this reminds me of a very special "stupidity".

I used to work for a wierd company not long ago (long story, I might tell you about that, it was the worst experience in my life so far). Now, that company was buried in debts, lawsuits, problems with the govt. and so on. One day, 3 representatives of the govt. came by the office to speak to the lead lawyer of the company, a 31 year old, incredibly looking woman. Prior to the meeting with the govt. represenatives she had a consultation with 3 other lawyers, from a law practice, that advised her not to recognise any debts to the govt. under any circumstance and as matters would be taken to court, the company will win the case. (I know for a fact that they would).

Now, as she just left the office of the 3 lawyers (same floor of the office building) and stepped into the meeting room where the govt. represenatives were, she IMMEDIATELY recognised the company's debts and she, by herself, offered to sign a statement.

3 months of strategy planning went down the drain in a matter of 2 minutes. As she left the conference room she went smiling to the lawyers and CEO of the company, happy that she did a good deed. (?!?!?) Right then I almost saw a murder.

Now how's that for an act of stupidity?
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Stupidity is like beauty, its all in the eye of a beholder. I would almost classify stupidy as an emotion. Nothing is actually stupid, people just think or feel that it is/was...
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

"Dare to be stupid."
    Weird Al Yankovic