Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hostingcon 2006....LA?

Hello,

As I wait for my delayed flight home to Los Angeles from Chicago, I came around to thinking about hearing rumors about the next hostingcon being held in my home town LA.

Did anyone hear this or is this just a rumor?

2. That will be Godsent
    The only reason that I didn't attend this yr is the distance.
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

Re: Hostingcon 2006....LA?

Originally posted by WebRhino CEO
    Hello,

As I wait for my delayed flight home to Los Angeles from Chicago, I came around to thinking about hearing rumors about the next hostingcon being held in my home town LA.

Did anyone hear this or is this just a rumor?
    This would be a rumor. We have had alot of great suggestions as to cities to hold Hostingcon2006 in. Once we finish with all the closing of 2005 we will sit down and begin discussing and looking into all of the possibilities as to where and when Hostingcon2006 will happen.
    Thank you once again.. Mouse
    Frank Spaulding COO Purity Networks

Sorry but ugh to California, New York or Florida as a location.

Chicago is a central location of couse Las Vegas would be central too!

Best bet is to check the location of everyone attending and see if there is a concentation in any part of the country.
    http://www.ChicagoJobResource.com
    Chicago Job Resource
    YOUR career connection for Chicago jobs, careers and employment

* Silly Response

We could have it in NorthEast Tennessee!

WE HAVE DOLLYWOOD !!

Only Kidding.... You don't want to have it here...
    Jake Necessary
    ServerMotion
    If you need any help just ask me. See Profile for IM Info.

Re: Silly Response

Originally posted by 6PS
    We could have it in NorthEast Tennessee!

WE HAVE DOLLYWOOD !!

Only Kidding.... You don't want to have it here...
    Speaking as someone who just moved from there this past January, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.. just left Sevier county, dont wanna come back for at least 2 years, while traffic is crazy here in Chicago as well, down there it is all concentrated into 1 long parkway..

Also Knox wouldnt be capable of handling the flight needs of many of our out of country guests.. beautiful place to visit though.. Mouse
    Frank Spaulding COO Purity Networks

7. Good call!
    I wouldnt mind Las Vegas, its pretty close to Cali and a little more central.
    I think its really perfect for parties after the conference.
    Even Apachecon 2005 was held in Vegas.

Originally posted by markcw
    Sorry but ugh to California, New York or Florida as a location.

Chicago is a central location of couse Las Vegas would be central too!

Best bet is to check the location of everyone attending and see if there is a concentation in any part of the country.
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

13. I assume that you attended Apachecon with the rest of the cPanel dudes this year and had a pleasant experience.
    Hence the vote for Vegas. Correct me if Im wrong.

Originally posted by nickn
    I'd be up for Vegas...wouldn't mind Los Angeles though...although I really don't know that it's where we'd have the best time.

Who says this has to be a yearly thing? Internext and NANOG are multiple times a year... Vegas in january!

I must say one thing.

NO HOSTING CON AT THE SAME HOTEL

This was one of the worst hotels I have ever been to.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

eleven2: Why do you say that? We received a lot of positive feedback about the hotel rooms and facilities.
    George A. Roberts IV ~ President & CEO, Purity Networks

Powerful, easy to use antispam services

No air in the hotel rooms, no cell phone signal in most of the hotel, wifi was horrible...

Food was great.

Hotel in the middle of no where, would be allot better if it was downtown where everything else was, but I have stayed at better super 8's than this hotel.

Great conference. But not a good location. I will not be back if it is the same location.

eleven2:

That's weird. I had awesome cell signal throughout the whole hotel. No air in your hotel room? Mine was downright chilly.

The wi-fi was a bit overtaxed I think, but I didn't end up using it much because we were busy almost the whole time.

The problem with a hotel in downtown is that you won't get into one with a conference center the size needed for something like HostingCon for under $229 a night, which I doubt most people who attended are willing to pay.

George,

I do understand the pricing concearns.

I do have a t-mobile hotspot account for years so really I already paid for it, but it was super slow, did not work in bottom floor where the breakfast/keynots/sessions were.

I haev nextel service and it was really spotty around the hotel, no reception in my room at all, even on the balcony.

I do admit the exhibit area was really nice, same with the area downstairs. But the hotel was in the middle of no where and would seem very logical to move the location every year.

The hotel doesn't make the hotspot available in their conference areas because a lot of conferences have network access brought in with their own wi-fi hotspots and they don't want the conflict.

We probably would have provided wi-fi in those areas ourselves but it wasn't in the budget this year. When we send out surveys in a week or so, please be sure to let us know these things so that we can make decisions for next year. Thanks!

No problem, all was great!

But the location.

I thought WHIR hinted at HostingCon 2006 being in Chicago again?

I thought Hyatt was pretty darn nice. I didn't stay in the hotel, but rosemont is great for us suburb drivers since its not in "downtown." McCormick place is just far too big. My cell phone reception wasn't that great in the lobby, but it went from 1 or 2 bars to full 5 or 6 once I crossed the threshold by the Mens bathroom towards the Grand Ballroom.

I think for a first year event the conference went off great! Next year we'll all know a little more in terms of the conference, such as Midway getting better rates in flights, but its farther away obviously and can be a hefty taxi ride if you don't take the train. ;-)

Maybe we should have the next con in Iowa so the FastServer guys don't have to travel as far and they'd make the after hours party even bigger!

Anyways, no matter how good the event, there's always better next year, but kudo's to the interjuncture team for a job well done.

There's reasons for every local, but I did enjoy Chicago, and that's biased because I was so close.

The Hyatt's staff were great but, the hotel itself was a bit off the beaten track and took a bit to find even with proper directions from Mapquest.com/Blackberry services.

For the most part the hotel rooms were nice but, the rooms were far too warm. I set the climate control to 60oF when I arrived and it never got even close to that.

Chicago was okay for going on with others in the industry but, Las Vegas just offers so much more possibility for "wining/dining" potential clients.

I have to say that if the convention is held at the Hyatt I will not likely stay at the hotel again.

Just a few reasons:

1) Location
    2) T-mobile wifi that was quite expensive.
    3) Paid parking which I found to be expensive considering the price of the room
    4) Warm rooms

The HostingCon itself was great though and I will definately be attending again!

I agree, that Vegas would be the best place to hold hostingcon2006. Lets just hope not to many people are hung over during the show =- )

About the hotel, anyone have problems with there room keys demagnitising?? I had to exchange my key 5 times during the 72 hours i was there! boy was i getting frustrated!

25. I already said my opinion in person to IJ... but I have to agree that the hot-spot sucked... I paid 40.00 for it and got to use about 5 minutes of it at 3:00am. My cell phone had issues all over the hotel too.

I suggested moving it downtown too, but was told nobody would buy the rooms and it was too far - which is probably true. I personally would pay more to be near some sort of entertainment beyond Denny's - lol. Even if the rooms were 100.00 more a night, I would have come out cheaper than all the cab rides I bought.

I will say though, for a first conference it was great. I personally think props are due to interjuncture for putting it together and pulling it off so well. If all we have to complain about is hotspots and cells, then they did one hell of a job for a fist conference!

Thanks to FastServers, Interland / Server Central, and Stargate / MB for the great parties too!

Joe
    MadRooster.com

ouch yea.... the $40 cab rides hurt, forgot how many i got just to get to some entertainment beyond dennys like madroosteradmin said.... downtown chicago was fun!

We took the train thing at 3.00 ish. However, on the way back we were almost killed or worse That monster bounces around pretty rough.
    Jake Necessary
    ServerMotion
    If you need any help just ask me. See Profile for IM Info.

28. I'd say I have to agree in general with the comments made previously.

We had a lot of problems with housekeeping - they didn't take out all of our garbage (even when we specifically asked two different housekeepers to do so right before they started cleaning our room), they didn't leave any soap or shampoo one day, and they forgot to replace the towels another day. The latter two issues were easily revolved by going down to the front desk and asking for a few supplies, but I suppose I expect a lot from a hotel running more than $100 a night.

Additionally, there was the transit situation. These kinds of conferences beg for afterparties and invitations to customer appreciation dinners. With our options from Rosemont to a plethora of restaurants being a 20-30 minute trainride (plus the walk to the station) or a taxi, it's somewhat difficult to wine and dine each other. By far, this is my biggest problem with the Hyatt Regency as a convention location.

Finally, there's the internet, as everyone has already mentioned. If the plan is to work free wifi into the budget next year, things shouldn't be quite as bad; it would be great if there was free wifi in the hotel rooms, though. (Did anyone think the billboard stating "Wifi at Hyatt" was a bit misleading?)

We noticed the Billboard too. We were making jokes about it the whole time. I actually had my sprint phone and USB, so I had internet. But I saw the frustration with the tmobile. I was getting faster speeds at 120 - 160K then tmobile ever did, even at 3:00am when it was useable...

At very least find us a hotel with a hardwired RJ45 jack that we bring our own wireless APs, and do room internet from there.. LOL
    Tony Holloway
    Delivering Custom Hosting Solutions Since January 2004
    madRooster.com
    Fun Name ... Serious Solutions

LOL, ya that Billboard was funny.... and they had it everywhere!

How about Australia?

Just got off the plane in the UK and I have to get on another in 2 days time for Australia... bleh!!!!!!!!
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Originally posted by [email protected]
    I assume that you attended Apachecon with the rest of the cPanel dudes this year and had a pleasant experience.
    Hence the vote for Vegas. Correct me if Im wrong.
    I actually attended Internext in January not ApacheCon...

Internext is the adult show right? I've been to that one several times in Florida =-) I suggest anyone in the area to go this years which is in Aug.

http://www.internext-expo.com

If it's in Vegas, count me in.

- John C.

Same here, i know any hotel can beat the o'hare.

Their is no reason to hold it in Chicago again, obviously George and Frank are from chicago, but that should not prevent it from being somewhere else. Should'd really be much they have to bring that the other exhibitors don't.

There are other reasons besides our being located in Chicago why we chose it:

It is centrally located and pretty equal travel time for anyone in the US and since we're doing only one show per year at this point, it makes sense to keep it centrally located.

Chicago is one of the easiest places to get to from international locations and since 20% of our attendees were from outside the US, that is a big consideration.

It was cool to have it in Chicago as its one of the places we hadnt yet come over to visit!

I wasnt very impressed with the Hyatt though, or its staff. I think the size of the hotel makes its service lack in some areas.

Not bad for $131 a night though I guess.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

What's interesting to me is how varied people's perspectives on things are. I had a lot of people tell me that they loved the Hyatt and thought the hotel was great and the staff was great. I guess when you get that many people together in one place everyone is going to have a little different experience and perspective on things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast