Buying a new Dell dual Xeon 2gigs or 4gigs of ram?

Hello,
    I am looking to buy a new Dell Power Edge server. http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd Would I notice any difference if I bought the server with 4gigs of ram vs 2gigs of ram? Also is it that much of a difference that it would be worth the extra $$$? I am going to be useing the server for hosting websites. Thanks in advance.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Buying a new Dell dual Xeon 2gigs or 4gigs of ram?

Originally posted by Soulwatcher1974
    Hello,
    I am looking to buy a new Dell Power Edge server. http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd Would I notice any difference if I bought the server with 4gigs of ram vs 2gigs of ram? Also is it that much of a difference that it would be worth the extra $$$? I am going to be useing the server for hosting websites. Thanks in advance.
    With a base operating system load you wouldn't notice any difference. What kind of load you plan on putting on the server will determine how much you should purchase. If you want to be able to load as many web sites as possible, it will always benefit you to have as much RAM as you can possibly afford.

You could consider getting the minimal amount of RAM and purchasing the additional RAM on the aftermarket. Dell's RAM prices are typically quite inflated. You will probably save several hundred dollars if you do want to get 4 gigs or more of RAM. If cost really is a concern, consider purchasing say 2 gigs in 1GBx2 increments that way you can at least load it up to 4 or more gigs later.
      0 Not allowed!

2GB is perfect for a typical Linux based web server. Other than that you really need to state what applications/load you intend to be running on the server?

You can always buy more 1GB memory sticks from Dell or Crucial.

For my Dell PE1850's running VMWare, I usually either max them out with 6x1GB's, or use 2GB chips to get up to 8GB total. As far as webservers I never put in more than 2GB, and I haven't seen any disk swapping to date.
      0 Not allowed!

We just bought a bunch of them and with SCSI 15,000 RPM HDD & Raid the total cost was ~$3000 USD Each.
      0 Not allowed!

That's about what my Dual 3.0 2mb cache 146GB Raid 1 servers ran that I picked up on the last promo. Nice little rigs.

I'm trying to hold off on any further servers in that price range till I can find a AMD Opteron that I like for MySQL servers that's competitive with Dell.
      0 Not allowed!

The server will be used for alot of small websites no more than 1gig each. So I will be useing the server as a webserver. I want to put as many websites as possible and with in reason. If a extra 2gigs of ram lets me put another 50 websites on the server then its well worth it.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, just start with 2GB and it should be plenty. It really depends on the types of sites and how you balance the ram/cpu usage with your apache and mysql settings.

Plenty of options if you need to take care of high load, no reason to worry too much about needing tons of ram when you're starting out.
      0 Not allowed!

Unless you're gonna slam it from the start, get 2G now and upgrade later, buying ram from someplace like mwave.com or newegg.com is probably going to be cheaper anyway.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck
      0 Not allowed!

Actually, you have to be careful when ading ram to 1425's. It can actually cost as much or more (if you happen to get a deal when buying the machine(s)) to add ram later. We use a bunch of dell models and we've had no problem with ram for 750's, but 1425's 1825's and 2850's dont like having just any brand of DDR2 ecc reg in them.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Buying a new Dell dual Xeon 2gigs or 4gigs of ram?

Originally posted by Soulwatcher1974
    Hello,
    I am looking to buy a new Dell Power Edge server.
    my dual-xeon dell poweredge runs fedora mighty fast with 2gb of ram. bear in mind that my previous web hosting system was a 600mhz celeron that i built 5 years ago.
      0 Not allowed!