hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : HostingCon : EMOTIONS - My feelings about HostingCon

Forum Jump

EMOTIONS - My feelings about HostingCon

Reply Post New Thread In HostingCon Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Guru

Exclamation

EMOTIONS - My feelings about HostingCon

I wanted to angle this post a little different because I have some feelings about HostingCon which I am having trouble understanding. I am not talking about the event itself, but the relationships built over a couple of days with, for the most part, complete strangers. I am curious if you all have the same types of feelings? Read on and let me know.

I am challenged to put some of the feelings I am having into words. Quite honestly, I expected some things from HostingCon and received something much different and rewarding. I feel “foggy” about the experience; I didn’t want the experience to end.

What I expected from HostingCon was simply to hear some valuable keynotes, sessions, and see how others were doing business. My expectations were clearly met. However, the most rewarding thing about the conference was the “Hosting Bond” formed with many of you!

I have always tried to be, as Microsoft termed their representatives, a “Hosting Evangelist.” I really believe in this business. I think after all the hours you sink into hosting, the monster becomes almost like your child (including the diapers). You are a Hosting Dad (or MOM). What completely blew me away and was probably the most rewarding thing about this convention was the fact others seemed to have this parent-like intensity.

People who do and love the same things tend to be really good friends. I suspect that is why our bonds as friends were formed so quickly and strong. When I was in the Navy and would go to sea (Got some good submarine stories we post later), I watched guys reunited with their wives and kids after a long deployment. The emotion at this time was quite joyful. However, a few months later you would return to the sea and I watched the emotion level be just the opposite.

Although a little different, the emotion of this conference was similar to the sea analogy I discussed above. When I first got to HostingCon, I was just another guy with a freshly printed business card. Over the course of a few hours, I had some new business friends. As the hours ticket away, I actually felt like I had known some of you for years. At the GNAX Party (WOW), I began to feel like we were all “Brothers in Hosting.” We are family.

As the night rolled on, we arrived back at the Hotel and started saying our goodbyes. I bet you I said goodbye to the Solidhost and Rochen guys ten times. I didn’t want to say bye. That is when the conference went foggy (no it was not alcohol related). I felt the emotion I did back when I was in the Navy and would go to sea. The shocking thing and one of the reasons I believe this has had such an emotion effect is because we did this over a three day period. I jumped a plane, made some contacts, some friends, discovered “Family” I never knew I had, and then left wondering if I would see or even talk to these “strangers” again.
Sorry this post is so long. I am guessing some felt different about the conference. I also suspect some of you my have had the similar emotions. I believe it’s important to understand emotions. We all have altering events in our life. I know that the emotion of this event and the bonds made will impact us all in the near future.

The purpose of this post was three fold. First, I made a good attempt at explain my emotion because you should always understand emotions that have an impact. Second, I am hoping you all will respond with your thoughts (other than Jake is a quack!). Finally, most importantly, I hope we all keep in touch. The relationships we form on the boards are business-like. I believe what was formed this week was a family.

What do you all think?

Sponsored Links
Old

I felt the same way. I'm sad that I have to leave this amazing city in a few hours and say goodbye to my first big conference.

Coming into this trip, I had talked with no more than five people in the hosting industry outside our customer base, one of which I planned to meet_up with during the convention. Now, I have made contacts with a ton of people and look forward to talking with all of you guys in the future.

Make sure to keep in touch!

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by RackmountBrian
I felt the same way. I'm sad that I have to leave this amazing city in a few hours and say goodbye to my first big conference.

Coming into this trip, I had talked with no more than five people in the hosting industry outside our customer base, one of which I planned to meet_up with during the convention. Now, I have made contacts with a ton of people and look forward to talking with all of you guys in the future.

Make sure to keep in touch!

I agree as well. This convention has been nothing less than amazing, and the contacts we made, along with the people we met have just made me feel more "at home" per se. It is always wonderful to put faces with names, and I look forward to seeing everyone again in 2006!

Sponsored Links
Old
WHT Addict

Jake, I just wanted to say really quick that it was a pleasure meeting you and Chris and hanging out with you guys over the past few days. You guys are awesome, and I really enjoyed talking with you guys. Thanks again for letting me crash with you guys. Hope to see you again next year!

Greg

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Greg,

We had a blast! You will have to come down to our neck of the woods. We are a good stopping point for the night if you are heading to the beach or even Atlanta.

Old

I realy agree with u martin..... It was very nice to meet you guys and I realy hope we could keep in touch until the next hostingcon event!
My feelings about the event was exactly like yours...

regards,
Geraldo

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
ResellerClub Presents HostingCon India Web Hosting Events 2014-07-10 09:34:49
ResellerClub Presents HostingCon Europe Web Hosting Events 2014-07-10 09:05:53
HostingCon 2014 Australian Symposium Web Hosting Events 2014-07-08 15:02:39
HostingCon Launches Enhanced Networking Opportunities For Event Attendees Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 09:47:04
ResellerClub presents HostingCon China Web Hosting Events 2014-03-31 11:59:13