Getting Into Popular Search Engines

Hi there!

One of my clients is having trouble with his site for getting into popular search engines. I already put meta tags into his design to see if that helps and it didn't seem to. Is there any easy procedure to get into popular search engines? I wouldn't mind paying a company a nominal fee, but I am looking for a recommended company that someone has experience with.

Thanks for your assistance!

--GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

best way is to submit site at dmoz.org,
    than wait few weeks ...
    it is free

One of the best ways to get listed in search engines is to have your site linked on other sites that have already been indexed. This can also help your ranking if the site that links to you is 'popular'.

If your client posts in forums related to his/her field, it may be worth having them put a link in their signature (pending the forum rules).

As Samdax said, dmoz.org is good too, however it can take several months to get listed.

If it's a commercial site and needs visitors right now, I'd suggest some sort of CPC program like Google Adwords or Overture.

What search engines in particular?

Google doesn't pay real attention to meta tags, it's all about the amount of back links (links from other sites, relevent and high quality). I suggest you check out www.seochat.com for more information on search engine tactics

Submit your site to google to be indexed, submit to dmoz as well (can take months to get listed). Also, it took my forum about 6 months to appear in serps (due to the sandbox)

I am mainly trying to get into Yahoo and Google for now.

--GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

SEOchat.com is a great resource. I would be wary of spending money on things to get yourself listed right away. Browsing that forum is a good idea. In addition to DMOZ.org there are a number of free directories you can get listed in. The basic way to get "big" though is to keep adding quality content to where people naturally link to you. Simple link exchanges don't work typically because the links are buried on links pages and the SE's know everyone is doing that. Have your friend participate in forums related to his content and use his sig file to attract people to his site. It it's good then they will start linking to it. Also, if he can monetize, he can do PPC ads to get traffic. If the site is good then the sites that benefit will link to his site as well. Bottom line: good content and patience are the name of the game.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

There si some interesting things you might need at statcounter. Check them. I think they can help you with your problem.

Originally posted by elix
    I am mainly trying to get into Yahoo and Google for now.

--GSV
    will take atleast 3-6 month to get a decent rank on yahoo.

and 6-12 for google.

and in this time you need to get lots and lots of related back links