starting an Internet radio station? help

Hi

I want to set up an internet radio station which broadcasts world-wide. Has anyone done or researched such a project before at all?

I don't really have an idea on how to go about such a thing. Would I have to operate it through my web hosting provider resulting in the listeners using up my bandwith allowance?

Also does anyone have any idea on the hardware/software requirements? also is a liscence needed aswell?

Any help or advice is apprieciated

With thanks!
    Sig free forever.

Yes you would need to host it through a provider and have a pretty decent bandwidth allowance.

You could run a ShoutCast.com server locally & use Sam2 for automation (queue/playlist scripts, ports setup etc...). Your wesbite would be used for promooion & to direct people to your station (IP address & port #). List ypur station on ShoutCast to get traffic

It is illegal to broadcast songs without paying royalities to the artist. The chances of getting caught are higher than downloading illegal music or movies thru bittorrent (because you are not anonymous peer-to-peer, you are publishing your IP & have a website they can WHOIS).

Yea, shoutcast servers are very easy to start if you are into what you are doing and have some motivation. I know a lot of people that have radio servers of their own, once you get a large ammount of listeners you may wan to start advertising because it can get very expensive!
    Phlint! Web Media [http://phlint.com]
    [email protected]

very expensive!!! you will need a 10mbps server if you are planning to provide music to more than 100 listeners..

just do a search in here, there is a tutorial on how to do shoutcast.
    el Dutty-Dutty

Thanks a lot everyone. There wont be any music involved except prehaps a small bit at the start and end which I will make myself. It's going to be a news channel.

You all appear to be saying I need a seperate server or something. If i pre-record the broadcasts which is what i'm planning on doing could'nt I just use same server I use for my site's hosting?

I could just run the broadcast at the same time each day.
    Sig free forever.

Originally posted by Swerve1000
    Thanks a lot everyone. There wont be any music involved except prehaps a small bit at the start and end which I will make myself. It's going to be a news channel.

You all appear to be saying I need a seperate server or something. If i pre-record the broadcasts which is what i'm planning on doing could'nt I just use same server I use for my site's hosting?

I could just run the broadcast at the same time each day.
    I'd advise contacting your hosting provider. Running a shoutcast server on a shared host might not be aloud. They may not install shoutcast unless its on a dedicated server...

Streaming

I've done a lot of reaserching these days about streaming services. There is a lot of providers having in their offer streaming.

Here is some of them: EGIHost, StreamGuys,SpacialAudio...

These are very good providers for the services that you need. I've spoked a lot with them these days. They are ready to cooperate and ready to answer at all of your questions.

Hope I helped. Feel free to contact me on: [email protected] if you are having some more questions.

Re: Streaming

Originally posted by Svigir
    I've done a lot of reaserching these days about streaming services. There is a lot of providers having in their offer streaming.

Here is some of them: EGIHost, StreamGuys,SpacialAudio...

These are very good providers for the services that you need. I've spoked a lot with them these days. They are ready to cooperate and ready to answer at all of your questions.

Hope I helped. Feel free to contact me on: [email protected] if you are having some more questions.
    Nice one. I will send you a PM.

Anyone have any idea on price if my hoster did'nt offer it? Say 100 listeners at 64kbps connection for 1 hour = 23gig. Thats a lot of bandwith. Especially 4 broadcasts per week I will also check with my hoster.

Also any idea's on the downsides of just offering pre-recorded 'show's' available for download off the site?

Once again.

Many thanks.
    Sig free forever.

I have a lot of information that you might need. Send PM and I'll answer all of your questions. I know there is a lot of them