Email only reseller account

If I have a few clients who each have their own domain, and want email facilities but not necessarily a website, is there such a thing as an email only reseller account?

Reseller accounts are generally for web/email purposes. There should be no problem using a general reseller account and having a blank web page and only using the webmail part of the account.

I've seen hosts offering shared web hosting packages and email hosting packages. For the email part of it, what exactly is the difference between having a web hosting account which includes email facilities vs having an email hosting account?

Hey there,

I know that cPanel has a theme called 'xmail' that can be selected for mail only accounts. That's of course if you are using cPanel/WHM

In Hsphere there is a plan builder for just mail based accounts.
    Jamie
    RadicalV.com High Velocity Hosting Services - Since 1999
    Hsphere Linux & Windows Hosting ~ Automated Reseller Plans ~ EasyApp Collection

Yes, I've read about the xmail skin in cPanel. I think I also read that once the user logs into cPanel, although the xmail skin is being used and thus only limited options are available, the user can still type in the direct URL to other options such as File manager etc and get to those options. I am not sure, as I've not tried it myself.

I was just wondering whether there was any advantages of having a email only account vs web + email account.

Originally posted by WebSpider
    Yes, I've read about the xmail skin in cPanel. I think I also read that once the user logs into cPanel, although the xmail skin is being used and thus only limited options are available, the user can still type in the direct URL to other options such as File manager etc and get to those options. I am not sure, as I've not tried it myself.

I was just wondering whether there was any advantages of having a email only account vs web + email account.
    A good advantage to an email only account, is that they can just add nameserver 3 and 4 to their domain name..

Then if their main server goes down, as long as yours is up, they'll still have email online, even though the old one is down.

VERY VERY Important for the hosts who have frequent downtime, and easy-to-anger customers.

Dns?

How does this work as far as dns. The user has their domain at the registrar (Primary Zone). Do they just ad my name servers or just their point the mx record over? They have web hosting somewhere else or dont have web hosting at all just email..

In their cpanel account /zone file, would I just omit a www record?

jamz..

Not sure exactly with other registrars, but with Go-daddy, you're able to enter up to 10 nameservers as far as I know, as I have multiple backup servers for email purpose. And all are added through 3rd, 4th, 6th, and even 8th nameservers.

Edit:

A better example of my structure attached to one of my domains using multiple servers for dedicated email is:

DNS1: ns1.mydomain.com
    DNS2: ns2.mydomain.com
    DNS3: ns1.somehost.com
    DNS4: ns2.somehost.com
    DNS5: ns1.anotherhost.com
    DNS6: ns2.anotherhost.com
    DNS7: ns1.yetanotherhost.com
    DNS8: ns2.yetanotherhost.com

DNS 1 and 2 are used for my site and my main mail server and FTP..

DNS 3-8 are used for dedicated mail.

But you have to remember to sign up each mail account with the other places with the same username and password.
    Last edited by swflnetworks; 06-08-2005 at 01:53 PM.

What is the multiple DNS entries for?

Is it so that if ns1.mydomain.com or ns2.mydomain.com is down, it will go down the list and use other ns which is available?

Or is it that if the client domain pointed to by ns1.mydomain.com or ns2.mydomain.com is down, it will look for a replacement client account pointed to by other ns down the list?

Email cPanel xmail

Hi Guys,

I have seen you guys mentioning about the cPanel xmail, can i know where to locate the theme? as i'm not able to find the location.

Please Advice.

Originally posted by WebSpider
    What is the multiple DNS entries for?

Is it so that if ns1.mydomain.com or ns2.mydomain.com is down, it will go down the list and use other ns which is available?

Or is it that if the client domain pointed to by ns1.mydomain.com or ns2.mydomain.com is down, it will look for a replacement client account pointed to by other ns down the list?
    It really depends on how you set your CPANEL up.

I have mine clustered into 5 different servers with 4 different providers besides myself..

So if my main server fails, I can still get my mail from 2-5 without a problem.

The xmail skin option is in the WHM when you create or modify a new client account.

Does cluster mean spreading or sharing your hosting account over several servers?

Do the emails that go to different servers when one is down sync up with each other automatically?

Hi all,

radv is right here, H-Sphere resellers are able to define there own packages to sell on, there is a wizard that glides you through building the packages to sell, one option of this wizard is email only based packages.

Extra bonus of using hsphere are that you get you're own ticket and billing system included with reseller accounts.

Maybe worth taking a look.
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Domain Registration
    Free 24/7 support H-Sphere control panel
    www.GuardianServe.com
    [email protected]