Unlimited and unmetered BW

I wanted to know the correct difference b/n them, i have overcome these words many times but still cannot predict an correct answer for this one.

There are no such thing as unlimited or unmetered BD.
    Unlimited = Unmetered
    Unmeter mean not measured.
    Unlimited mean no ending.

Originally posted by indiaberry
    There are no such thing as unlimited or unmetered BD.
    Unlimited = Unmetered
    Unmeter mean not measured.
    Unlimited mean no ending.
    Of course there is such a thing and both are by no means the same.

Unmetered means the bandwidth is not metered, so let's say you buy a 100Mbit line from a DC and you are free to max that line out 24/7, but you still pay a fixed price.

Unlimited is a different matter though, and technically cannot be provided, but some people try to term it the same as unmetered.

For shared hosting, neither of them are very likely to actually be true offerings, however for a dedicated then they are.

Unmetered means i can produce BW ( unlimited ) , still cannot get it correctly,

Is it that we can connect the 100 MBIT line to many servers.

Originally posted by spechackers

Is it that we can connect the 100 MBIT line to many servers.
    Unmetered mean you will pay a fixed price, no matter how much you use. So if you got a 100Mbit unmetered line, then you pay the same for having zero usage and you would if you used the full capability of the line all the time.

Obviously you are still limited by what the actual line itself can transfer though, a line can only transfer so much data at any time.

Unlimited bandwidth is you can use bandwidth till you interfere with system resource usage , and that has different meaning for different hosts.

Unmetered means simply it wont be metered or charged above the regular charge so long as that does not interfere system resource usage.

Some hosts may not offer un limited or unmetered bandwidth
    but they may oversell bandwidth - while some may provide what they oversell, some may not provide - and as to what is 'over' selling some hosts usuall have fight over the meaning or delivery [ ref : just closed thread in this forum ] of that.

Do not go with hosts who offer unlimited stuffs

for an 100 MBIT line how much BW can i generate.

Is it that we can connect the 100 Mbps line to many servers.
    OK, let me term it the easiest way I could ever do it, which is easy to understand and follow.

Unlimited BW basically means that it's LIMITLESS. You could have someone connecting at 1GB and more. Basically, you could have limitless people connecting to your server at the same time, which will make it "UNLIMITED", which is practically IMPOSSIBLE as there has to be a limit on everything.

Unmetered BW means that if you're given a 100Mbps port, you could MAX out the 100Mbps port at any given time and let it remain at MAX for 24/7. This basically mean that your BW usage per month will not be measured (unlike the others which measures it and only give you 1000GB or something like that per month). So unmetered means that you could use up to eg. 2500GB per month and you'll never be charged for going over your BW limit.

Hope I made it easy for you to understand already.

Have a great day!
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

for an 100 MBIT line how much BW can i generate.
    Work it out .

100Mbit is 12.5Mbytes/second.
    750Mbyte/minute
    45Gb/hour
    1Tb/day
    30Tb/month

Unlimited means a connection of 100000000000Gb/sec .
    Unmetered means a connection of X/Mbit and you can use it all and nobody monitors what you use.
    Last edited by thomas7; 06-08-2005 at 04:22 AM.
    Andrew Thomas

You may also want to read the Terms of Service on FDC's site. No way you're going to push 30TB on their 100Mbps unmetered servers.

Unlimited means an infinite GB per second connection.

Unmetered means some reasonable transfer per second connection.

New site: www.talkutas.com

Originally posted by HstCreations
    You may also want to read the Terms of Service on FDC's site. No way you're going to push 30TB on their 100Mbps unmetered servers.
    So they sell you an unmetered 100Mbit connection, but don't let you use it?
    Now i've heard of unlimited hosts no letting you use it, but unmetered lines and not letting you use it?
    Andrew Thomas

Stay away from UNLIMITED disk space and bandwidth hosts. That is the best advice I can give you

Very interesting thread... but I'm having trouble reconciling the information presented here with the answer I got from one of the sellers here, he says that his "unmetered" is actually 3200GB per month. I don't get it... if it is unmetered, what is preventing it from going over 3200GB?

Check out the thread, here's the original offer:
    We are pleased to annouce our new unmetered hosting accounts.

1GB Disk Space / Unmetered Transfer - $8.99/mo
    2GB Disk Space / Unmetered Transfer - $12.99/mo
    3GB Disk Space / Unmetered Transfer - $15.99/mo

Unmetered Transfer is worked on that each physical server is connected on a 10mbit port giving all accounts on the server a combinded total of 3200Gb/mo.
    Here's my question filled with mistrust:
    So how many lucky people are going to be in that 3200GB Titanic? Seriously, how can you call it "unmetered" and then say that there is a "combined total of 3200GB/mo".

How many do you plan to sell on the same server? Normally I wouldn't ask, but in this case is key to know what are your monthly chances in that bandwidth lottery.
    And the answer of the the seller Vaserv came back:
    The 3200GB is split between 20 people or so. Its called unmetered as we don't impose a limit on the amount of transfer but the 3200Gb is the transfer for all the accounts on that machine.

Rus
    Again, I don't get it... if they don't impose a limit, how come "3200Gb is the transfer for all the accounts"?

I would really appreciate any explanations...

Originally posted by toptex
    Very interesting thread... but I'm having trouble reconciling the information presented here with the answer I got from one of the sellers here, he says that his "unmetered" is actually 3200GB per month. I don't get it... if it is unmetered, what is preventing it from going over 3200GB?

Check out the thread, here's the original offer:

Here's my question filled with mistrust:

And the answer of the the seller Vaserv came back:

Again, I don't get it... if they don't impose a limit, how come "3200Gb is the transfer for all the accounts"?

I would really appreciate any explanations...
    There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth, so there has to be some sort of limit. Unmetered does not mean unlimited at all, but way too many times I see people thinking this. When people are having a hard time understanding a word, I look in the dictionary!

from dictionary.com, definition of unlimited -
    Having no restrictions or controls: an unlimited travel ticket.
    It is 100% impossible to have unlimited bandwidth. Even if you had all of the datacenters and internet connections in the world all powering one website, there is still no way that it could have unlimited bandwidth. There is not an infinite supply of bandwidth.

I looked up unmetered, but I guess that its not a real word, because its not listed, so I'll have to explain it in my own words.

Unmetered in the hosting industry iessentially means that there is no cap put on the amount of bandwidth that you use. If you are given 1000GB of bandwidth with a dedicated server, that is a fixed amount and is not unmetered. You could use all of that bandwidth in one minute, and then you're out. If you have a 100mbit connection, the most that you would be able to use is 750MB of bandwidth (according to the numbers given in this thread, I cannot confirm accuracy) every single minute, but it is not accumlative. With that 100mbit connection, you are not capable of using more than 750MB per minute, so therefore you cannot use more bandwidth than you have. So if you have a 100mbit connection, and you fully utilized that connection (highly, highly unlikely) 24/7, than you would use around 32 terrabyes of bandwidth in a month. It is impossible to use any more, so there cannot be any overages.

I don't know if this makes any sense, I'm getting tired and I'm just typing and trying my best to explain something which is kind of hard to explain , but hopefully it clarifies a few things for you.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Unmetered can also equate to a bandwidth as well .

If you got a 10Mbit unmetered connection, that would equate to something along the lines of 3-4000Gb/month.

It is unmetered, since they are not metering how much traffic is going across your 10Mbit port- but the because the line is 10Mbit, you can only transfer 4000Gb- they are NOT setting that limit themselves, the 10Mbit connection has set that limit, since you can't get any more data across the 10Mbit.

Got it now?

Think of it like a water pipe, you have unmetered access to it (unless you are on a water meter), but there is a maximum you can get down the water pipe, because it's only a certain size- this is why you can only transfer up to 4000Gb.
    Andrew Thomas

It's just so you buy hosting from them because they know you'll never use that much. And when you do, your account will get suspended for exceeding CPU usage. Most of the time, it's like that.

well if we take a rack in some datacenters and connect an 100 MBIT line and can generate unmetered bandwidth.

Is it possible??

I can't believe that old fable is still going around that hosting companies actually offer unlimited bandwidth. What a scam!

Originally posted by thomas7
    Think of it like a water pipe, you have unmetered access to it (unless you are on a water meter), but there is a maximum you can get down the water pipe, because it's only a certain size- this is why you can only transfer up to 4000Gb.
    I wasn't able to think of the right way to say it, but you just put it perfectly there!
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Originally posted by HostingInsider
    I wasn't able to think of the right way to say it, but you just put it perfectly there!
    The water pipe analogy never fails.

Unmetered they limit the burst speed so there is far less potential but you can use upto the potential provided and usage isnt measured.

Metered the burst speed usually is much higher but your usage is measured.
    Chris Collins
    Hostingfreak.net
    Directadmin Hosting in europe
    www.hostingfreak.net