Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

what's worse: marijuana or cocaine?

Most people believe cocaine is alot worse than marijuana.

But, the united states government recently passed legislation enforcing more tough guidelines on medical marijuana.

Now, i find this hilarious.

So many conservatives are pushing for a ban on medical marijuana.

Yet, cocaine is used in hospitals as an anesthetic frequently. Hell, my mother even had it when her nose was being worked on, after it miracuously started bleeding, for hours on end.

Then, you look at other drugs that are used in hospitals, which are really.. much more dangerous than marijuana. Hell, has anybody heard anything of oxycotin? That stuff that has come to be known as "Hillbilly heroin".

I really don't get it. Marijuana isn't addictive, and it's an excellent pain killer. Meanwhile, hospitals are handing out much much much much much much much more addictive pain killers, which can be abused to the same affect.

Can somebody please explain this?
      0 Not allowed!

DEFINETLY COKE!!!!!!!!!!!

Pot is nothing compared to coke......I dont smoke either,but from all i've heard and know,COKE is much,much worse.......

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!
      0 Not allowed!

I've never used any illegal drugs, but cocaine is definitely more damaging than marijuanna. Cocaine can be very damaging, much less than marijuanna.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth
      0 Not allowed!

Are you kidding me? Marijuana is much worse that cocaine, because it's a gateway to harder drugs. People who take cocaine, generally just stick with it.
      0 Not allowed!

You could use cocaine once and have a heart attack if your cardiovascular system is not healthy and has some defect. Also, you can overdose on cocaine very easily.

You could not smoke enough marijuana to kill you, you would pass out long before you could reach a lethal dose. You would have to sit down and eat a salad bowl full in order to die from it.

Unfortunately for illegal drug users, the content of any illegal drug they buy can't be guaranteed because these things are not regulated. There could be lots of other substances mixed into them that the user is not expecting.
      0 Not allowed!

Grandma, who needs to smoke some dope because she has cancer and keep any food down, is not who the goverment should be after.

The real issue here is that drug addiction is a serious problem that our goverment does not *really* want to deal with. Why? Because the issue would take a **** load of money and resources to actually address in a systematic, comprehensive manner - from education, prevention, criminal prosecution, treating addicts, and developing newer and better treatments.

Think about this - drug addiction is a physical disease, once it sets in, just in the same way that cancer is a physical disease. While I certaintly have no proof, I'm certain that the amount of funds dedicated towards finding a "cure" for cancer in the past 50 years are expotentially higher than the funds used for finding a "cure" of addiction. What if more funds were allocated towards developing newer and better methods for treating addiction? What if addiction could be cured?
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.
      0 Not allowed!

I just don't understand why more addictive drugs (cocaine, oxycontin) are allowed, but a drug that's hardly addictive, and equally helpful in fighting pain (marijuana) is disallowed.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by mikeylove
    I just don't understand why more addictive drugs (cocaine, oxycontin) are allowed, but a drug that's hardly addictive, and equally helpful in fighting pain (marijuana) is disallowed.
    It's all about politics mikey, all about politics. The politicians want to supress the medical marijuana because it is (seemingly) innocuous and more difficult for politicians to justify the prohibition of marijuana. It's easier to justify cocaine and heroin prohibition because of the high risk associated with them.

This is one area where many European countries have the U.S. beat. Instead of fighting an ever more expensive and futile "war on drugs", certain European countries treat drug use for what it is, a health issue.
      0 Not allowed!

I really don't get it. Marijuana isn't addictive, and it's an excellent pain killer. Meanwhile, hospitals are handing out much much much much much much much more addictive pain killers, which can be abused to the same affect.
    You have alot to learn my friend. Marijuana is addictive.

This thread is almost laughable, it's fairly obvious what's worse, coke by a long shot!
      0 Not allowed!

You have alot to learn my friend. Marijuana is addictive.
    That's funny, It didn't have that affect on me.

This thread is almost laughable, it's fairly obvious what's worse, coke by a long shot!
    That's my point. Cocaine is worse, but it is accepted in medicine. Marijuana on the other hand isn't.
      0 Not allowed!

They are both WORSE!! I dont see any point in it. I dont use those kind of Addicted Stuff!
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design
      0 Not allowed!

They are both WORSE!! I dont see any point in it. I dont use those kind of Addicted Stuff!
    Let's say you start bleeding one day, and it doesn't stop after about 3 hours.

SO, You go to the hospital.

When you get to the hospital, they tell you about what will need to be done to fix your bleeding nose. This involves shoving a little a few little tiny rocks into your nose, and burning them to your skin, in order to close the wound.

You're willing to go through that super-painful operation without the aid of any kind of pain killers?
      0 Not allowed!

All drug dealers should be shot on sight.

All drug users should be locked away with President Bush for an indefinate period, that would solve two of the worlds worst problems.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?
      0 Not allowed!

Did you even bother to read the thread, doc?
      0 Not allowed!

Let's say you start bleeding one day, and it doesn't stop after about 3 hours.

SO, You go to the hospital.

When you get to the hospital, they tell you about what will need to be done to fix your bleeding nose. This involves shoving a little a few little tiny rocks into your nose, and burning them to your skin, in order to close the wound.

You're willing to go through that super-painful operation without the aid of any kind of pain killers?
    I dont want that to happen, But we have a lot of new alternatives now, which are not painful in some ways..
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design
      0 Not allowed!

I dont want that to happen, But we have a lot of new alternatives now, which are not painful in some ways..
    They didn't have an alternative 6 months ago, when that happend to my mom.
      0 Not allowed!

cocaine is of course, and I am for the full legalization of marijuana (not just medical marijuana) *puts down the bong*.
      0 Not allowed!

Why we havent legalized marijuana is beyond me... I personally think alcohol is worse then marijuana.

Cocaine is by far worse. You dont here about people selling their bodies or children on the streets for marijuana, however you do hear about these examples when it comes to crack and cocaine.
      0 Not allowed!

Did you even bother to read the thread, doc?
    What's to read, your asking people to vote on which illegal drug is worse, what is the purpose of the poll. Are you trying to say they shouldn't be illegal

I have never used illegal drugs, I don't think anybody should take illegal drugs, if my friends or family took illegal drugs I would have them charged. Both drugs screw peoples minds, If normal healthy people can't manage to get through life without taking mind altering drugs then they are in a sorry state.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?
      0 Not allowed!

Both are bad. And if you think your mum had the same drugs you find on the street then I am pretty surprised! Medical grade drugs are always going to be managed a lot better than what you buy from some guy on the street. The crap they mix in can cause more problems than the coke!

And for those of you who think cannabis should be made legal look at some of the news stories coming from the UK now that it has been reduced to a Class C drug (basically legal, you won't get arrested for using it unless you're around a school or other similar areas).
    Steve
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    And for those of you who think cannabis should be made legal look at some of the news stories coming from the UK now that it has been reduced to a Class C drug (basically legal, you won't get arrested for using it unless you're around a school or other similar areas).
    I would imagine that a slap on the wrist vs. a prison sentence would make users more docile and less likely to resort to violence against the police or people who might turn them in. I'd like to read some of the stories that would contradict that idea.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by TheDoctor
    What's to read, your asking people to vote on which illegal drug is worse, what is the purpose of the poll. Are you trying to say they shouldn't be illegal

I have never used illegal drugs, I don't think anybody should take illegal drugs, if my friends or family took illegal drugs I would have them charged. Both drugs screw peoples minds, If normal healthy people can't manage to get through life without taking mind altering drugs then they are in a sorry state.

Doc
    Someone who would get their friends or family charged for taking drugs is not human and is living in a much worse "sorry state" than a drug user.

Do you drink alcohol, consume caffeine or smoke cigarettes? If "yes", then you are a total hypocrite.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by TheDoctor

Doc
    What are you talking about? you'd snitch up you family or friends, some friend you are, honestly.....

Friends help them stop, not rat them in,

Its the dealers that shud be ratted on, and not the Users!
    although i know contacts for both kinds of drugs (yet i dont snort/smoke charlie or anysort)

And charlie is Alot more addictive then Pot, and more expensive,

But Coke being used it Hospitals is 100% cleaner than what you would buy on the street.
      0 Not allowed!

Most of my "successful" friends take coke. No ill affects on them...

I'm just saying.

Personally, I couldn't be bothered with the stuff. Too expensive. IMO alcohol is much worse. Just look at the statistics...
      0 Not allowed!

Marijuana is not a pain killer but rather it takes your mind off the pain you experience. Marijuana can even make you more sensitive to pain (especially in the cranial region) and it can cause phantom pains. I had an apicoectomy and I myself experienced phantom pains. Studies I've read also show that marijuana doesn't have enough of an impact on glaucoma to be worth the health risks (yes it can be addictive). Of course, there is a legal marijuana extract in Canada now so who knows?

With that said I think marijuana and coke are obviously brain changing drugs and you should have the right to alter your brain how you see fit. The government should keep their damn hands off the conscious altering drugs. I don't care for coke because it kills brain cells but I will continue to enjoy my green .
    "The impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wonderous universe with our conscious selves arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for existence of God; but whether this argument is of real value I have never been able to decide... The safest conclusion seems to be that the whole subject is beyond the scope of man's intellect." - Charles Darwin
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Staff.ie
    Someone who would get their friends or family charged for taking drugs is not human and is living in a much worse "sorry state" than a drug user.

Do you drink alcohol, consume caffeine or smoke cigarettes? If "yes", then you are a total hypocrite.
    Yes, I agree 100% with Staff ie. By the way Doctor, marijuana is proven safer then a good part of prescription drugs.. It's horrible... these drugs have so many side effects, that it's not even worth taking in my opinion.

Marijuana on the other hand is a very safe plant. You can't even use the argument that I'm hurting my lungs.. I use a $400 vaporizer, which only heats to a specific point, to vape the active ingredient (THC).

I think its absolutely horrible what the supreme court has done. There are people out there who pretty much need to have a quick smoke before they can even get out of bed.

There was a very high class business man on CNN, explaining how he has been using it for 30 years now, due to some kind of work related injury.. Once he smokes it, he can buy another 2-3 hours before the agonizing pain comes back.

Him, along with thousands of others, say that they have tried almost everything going (legal drugs), for their ailment.. and nothing can cure their pain like a little bit of cannabis.

How can people not accept that this is just a plant, with great medicinal qualities?

Have a good day
      0 Not allowed!

Of course Coke is 1000 times worse than marijuana, apart from the fact that marijuana is damaging to your lungs..so is any burnt carbon matter. Marijuana may not be physicaly addictive, but it is proven very mentally addictive. I do believe that alcohol is worse than Marijuana. When I was in college there was a saying "Man made booze, god made weed, who do you trust?"

Regardless, I personally don't do any drugs as I don't have the money to waste, the time, I don't need the addiction and I need to be fresh and ready for my job. I do believe marijuana should be legalised though, as there isn't a single death related case from smoking unmixed weed. Alcohol has a worse effect on the brain and can make you violent, some of my friends that used to smoke it were always relaxed and happy afterwards and didn't cause any trouble ever, they claimed they just don't feel like it after having a smoke. I do believe the eventual legalisation of the substance is inevitable, although don't expect it to be sold in shops too soon
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by IvialisRyan
    Are you kidding me? Marijuana is much worse that cocaine, because it's a gateway to harder drugs. People who take cocaine, generally just stick with it.

That's a nice talking point when a politician is trying to make a case against marijuana but it's complete bull.

There is no evidence at all that marijuana is a gateway drug.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by blue27
    That's a nice talking point when a politician is trying to make a case against marijuana but it's complete bull.

There is no evidence at all that marijuana is a gateway drug.
    I'm even skeptical of this whole "gateway" drug theory.

Why would Marijuana possibly make you want to do "harder" drugs?

From what I have seen, experienced etc., drug use is about certain personalities, not "ohhh he smoked a joint, he will upgrade to coke next".

My friends who like to relax smoke Marijuana.
    My friends who like to party take e and coke.
    My friends who like to wind down drink alcohol.
    (From what I've seen) people with no hope inject heroin.

I don't think any of the above are related, and I don't think one is an upgrade of the other.

Of course, I know of people who smoke/take all of the above drugs. But I really don't think it was because they smoked a joint as a teenager. They would do them anyway.
    Last edited by Max Renn; 06-08-2005 at 07:34 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

It depends how you get your drugs really. I know people from University who when they went to collect whatever they were buying they were offered extra things, and they did try them out. So in that sense it is a gateway.

I also know people however who get things just from other friends and cannabis is all they are interested in and are never given the chance to try anything else out so are unlikely to take the next step to harder drugs.
    Steve
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Staff.ie

Because kids are stupidified by media and politicians. They are tought that pot and heroin are just about the same. So if they can smoke a join on Saturday and there is no bad side-effects , there is no addiction, why would they not be able to do the same with heroin. Anyone putting heroin and pot in a same bag is lier and it doing huge unjustice to everyone.

As marihuana, it is not physicly additictive (both can be socially addictive but so it can be drinking pop). Cocaine does deal more physical damage though.
      0 Not allowed!

I just wanted to note as well, that it doesn't make me the least bit lazy

In fact, I can work much more efficiently when I am smoking cannabis. I am a designer, and I get that "designers block" once and a while. When I smoke, my mind is filled with fresh ideas. Some of my most prized work, has been planned out & designed while high on cannabis.

Have a good day
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by deleteme420
    I just wanted to note as well, that it doesn't make me the least bit lazy

In fact, I can work much more efficiently when I am smoking cannabis. I am a designer, and I get that "designers block" once and a while. When I smoke, my mind is filled with fresh ideas. Some of my most prized work, has been planned out & designed while high on cannabis.

Have a good day
    I agree. I don't smoke grass that much, but if I do, I always get the most bizarre and outrageous ideas. It defo beings me close to genius

But the next day my lungs hurt. So I try not to smoke it
      0 Not allowed!

I think the question should be "Which one is better?"

coke!
      0 Not allowed!

I can speak from experience.

Both pot and coke can be bad - it mostly depends on the user. Pot isn't phsycially addictive but it turns some people into stupid unmotiviated lumps. Coke is physically addicting although it's most dangerous to people with addictive personalities. Pot won't hurt your body but after a while coke sure as hell will tear you up.

In terms of what each drug costs society for health care both drugs pale to insignificance compared to alcohol and tobacco.

Pot should be legal but it never will be (in the US). The war on drugs makes too much money for too many people now for it to go away plus there's no way to regulate and tax pot when anyone with a flowerpot and window ledge can grow their own.

Coke (and other hard drugs) I have mixed emotions about. The Libertarian in me says adults should be allowed to pave their own road to hell however they wish. I think if we took the money we spend on law enforcement and prisons for drug users and spent it all on health care for the same people we'd be better off but I can't prove that'd be true.

As for medical marijuana, I believe that will eventually come to be accepted at the Federal level but not until the Dems come back to power.
      0 Not allowed!

Defidently cocain! Weed isnt too bad. Cocain kills people!
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com
      0 Not allowed!

cocaine is also a lot harder for the average person to create. Anyone can grow pot, which is what the government doesn't want. Why? because when people can grow it themselves, it's no longer a controlled substance. Oxycotin is a controlled substance because you need a prescription to obtain it on your own (legally of course). But when if you gave a prescription for pot, and you ended up just growing your own, the government can't tax you on that because you aren't selling it.
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?
      0 Not allowed!

[QUOTE]Are you kidding me? Marijuana is much worse that cocaine, because it's a gateway to harder drugs. People who take cocaine, generally just stick with it[?QUOTE]

Its just a lie by consertives to press their efforts to ban Marijuana. I know plenty of people who smoke weed and they don't want to try different drugs.

I personally think people are overlooking the benefits of weed. I've always thought the stuff could be treated for eating disorders in the form of a pill and yes alot of the drugs they come out are far more dangerous and than illegal drugs or have similar effects.
    Kerry Jones
      0 Not allowed!

I believe it should be legalized (marijuana not cocaine.... coke's horrible). I've read through this whole thread and seen not ONE reason to keep it illegal, aside from it being mildly addictive, and even then, less so than cigarettes, alcohol or even soda! There's no point to keep it illegal!
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    [email protected]
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Jay Suds

Think about this - drug addiction is a physical disease, once it sets in, just in the same way that cancer is a physical disease.
    What absolute and utter rubbish to class drug dependancy as the same situation as cancer is absurd NO ONE forces people to take drugs but you dont have a choice if cancer comes a calling.

I would legalise every drug there was that would wipe out the drug trade in a nanosecond and i would let the druggies take as much as they want hopefully they would kill themselves sooner rather than later.

Druggies are scum plain and simple they lie, rob and generaly stop being usefull human beings, far from being innocent victims as some hippy do-gooders would have you believe they are ring pieces who dont deserve the life they have.....
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast