* URGENT: Charter Blocking Port 25!

After an influx of calls today (Convieniently while at Hosting Con ) I was forced to call Charter to see why none of my clinets using their internet service were able to send through our servers.

After speaking with a Charter tech I found out that Charter started blocking port 25 in my market (Madison, WI) and will soon be blocking it natiowide.

So just giving a heads up so everyone is ready.

Charter's outgoing server is:
    smtp.charter.net

It requires no authentication.

Well hope everyone had fun at Hosting Con.. I had a great time getting to meet everyone!

-Jesse

This is, in fact, quite common for ISPs. Since the mail goes through their servers, it's much easier to identify spammers and spam relays.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Yup, port 26 works well though .

I have found that you can't change the outgoing port on some mail clients, which really stinks.

True many providors block port 25 but up until now Charter has not. And they failed to contact any one letting them know the port will be blocked. So I just wanted to give a heads up to hosts that have a strong charter presence in their area.

Yes, it is common among many ISPs, but I wasn't aware of any broadband/cable providers doing it? This is ridiculous; port 25 is used in the course of tech work, as well as for sending e-mail. Besides, I don't want my private ISP mail server/account listed in the headers of business e-mails...

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Unfortunately can't really complain to Charter with this though
    port 25 is used in the course of tech work, as well as for sending e-mail. Besides, I don't want my private ISP mail server/account listed in the headers of business e-mails
    They will reply "What!?!? you're doing business over a home account? upgrade it to a business account for $100 / month and we'll open up the port for you"

One time we had a big outage and gave them the "Down for X time I want a substantial refund because I was unable to get work done." This didn't sit well and they tried to get me to upgrade to a business accont for my home.

We had this happen a few months ago - it was PacBell. Fortunately, all our customers knew it was not out fault.

Unfortunately, these larger corporations just have loss the sense of communication

What I've done in the past is turn that into a positive by having all of my users configured to send on port 465 with SSL enabled. It's annoying that they do that, but I can hardly blame them.