I need A Godaddy Customer

I need somebody who has been a godaddy customer at one time or another to answer these questions.

1) How long does it take for you to get your domain name after paying, using Paypal......

....Using Credit Card

....Using A Check

2) Is there support Good.

3) Are there any bad things about them.

Re: I need A Godaddy Customer

Originally posted by I The Man

1) How long does it take for you to get your domain name after paying, using Paypal......

....Using Credit Card

....Using A Check
    Never paid godaddy through a check or paypal, but using a credit card, they processed the order pretty promptly.

I haven't tried calling them before but, my experience with their email support has been good.

Not that i can think of. Though there are some people who have had bad experiences with them.

How promptly?

In hours?

My domains showed up within minutes of payment. It has been a while now (over a year I think) since I bought a domain at GoDaddy, though.

Thanks rotoiti, Im going to be ordering it in a minute

GoDaddy is not my favorite registrar... but they do offer real-time domain name registrations (once you get past all the ads for add-on services). I use them still for backorders and they catch the occasional domain.

Support generally answers about 10 to 15 minutes everytime I call and are generally helpful - sometimes more than others depending who you get (pretty normal for a large registrar).

GoDaddy is run by an iron fist by it's owner, Bob Parsons. There have been reports of people losing their domain name if they were even accused of spamming. I'm very sensitive to this since almost two years ago someone sent out millions and millions of spam emails advertising a penis enlargement device using a phoney email address pointing back to one of my shorter .com domains. [My whois listed email for that domain was FILLED with flames I can't repeat here - People apparently are very sensitive about their penis size. And what those people were threatening to do with MY penis size... it was a very disturbing experience ].

Anyway, if people had taken the time to look at the email headers, they would see that the actual sender was out of Russia and was not me. Enom and SpamCop investigated the situation and eventually exonerated me. But, if the domain had been with GoDaddy... I don't know what would have happened.

Overall, though, I certainly don't lose sleep though over the 15 or so domains I have laying over at GoDaddy. Despite some mild concerns, I certainly don't hesitate to do business with them (and everyone else it seems ).

BTW...my favorite registrar is eNom where I have a reseller account. For just the occasional retail domain... I don't think you can do much better than NameCheap. But GoDaddy or NameCheap... they're both reasonably reliable registrars.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by 4solutions; 06-07-2005 at 11:38 PM.
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

Re: I need A Godaddy Customer

I need somebody who has been a godaddy customer at one time or another to answer these questions.

....Using Credit Card

....Using A Check

1. I used only CC; once, approx. 2 years ago, their billing suddenly started to deny my CC; I have almost wired money for their 'Good as gold', but they fixed the billing by that time.

The domain is registered indeed in real time. Usually I have a site created and ready, set up DNSes while registering domain atGoDaddy and 2-3 minutes after the order is verified (automatically), the site with the new domain is already working.

Note: that refers to international (.com, .net etc) and several national (.us) domain names. Several CCTLD such as .de could require several hours or days to actually register the domain and demand additional conditions (e.g. DNS in diferent C class networks).

2. I have really bad support case recently, but it was only once; during all the time I am with GoDaddy (more than 3 years) the support response is quick (5 to 25 minutes when contacted via email) and rather useful.

3. The site is stuffed with ads. All kinds of additional services are offered now and then. Beyond that, I suppose they are good company. The cloaking service (DomainsByProxy) is rather expensive compared with, say, ProtectFly, but after al the difference isn't that much.

Originally posted by rotoiti
    My domains showed up within minutes of payment. It has been a while now (over a year I think) since I bought a domain at GoDaddy, though.
    It's the same for me, except the domain name was purchased very recently.

My problem now is I cant login. It says our system is not familiar with your information.

I tried to reset my password and they were supposed to e-mail me some information. But they still havn't.

I know I put the right e-mail addres in, because Last night they e-mailed me with a confirmation letter.

What do I do?

somebody help me plz.

Have you tried emailing or calling them?

Try using the customer number that GoDaddy assigned you. It is in the email confirmation that GoDaddy sent you. Don't use the receipt number - but the shorter Customer Number.

Alright.

I have e-mailed, me but they redirected me to that page, where they send you the directons on how to reset your password through e-mail, and I still havn't got THAT e-mail yet.

This is frustrating, and go daddy sucks so far.

hey
    i am about to registar a .com at godaddy as well.

their price is 8,95 per year.

there are now hidden fees in this right ??

Alright.

I have e-mailed, me but they redirected me to that page, where they send you the directons on how to reset your password through e-mail, and I still havn't got THAT e-mail yet.

This is frustrating, and go daddy sucks so far.
    I have had experience with lost password. If you can't call them, try also sending messages to support describing your problem.

If the problem persists, you should call. After that, I can't figure out what to do - other than emailing their CEO, the last resort, if support doesn't react and your speaking English isn't too good to call.

Originally posted by Fetusborg
    hey
    i am about to registar a .com at godaddy as well.

their price is 8,95 per year.

there are now hidden fees in this right ??
    Could you please elaborate? There's additional 0.25 USD ICANN fee, so the final price would be 9.20 USD. But I wouldn't call that hidden, it's explicitly shown when you view the shopping cart.

GoDaddy, as other registrars, offers at times limited-time discounts, after those prices return to their usual value.

oh man
    i saw it

i registerd about namecheap actually... mainly because the owner, or at least a high employee, visits this forum and talks to some people who are having problems. that was cool to me... cause if i have a problem, i could come here and find him if all else fails

i transfered funds to paypal. but i transferred the exact domain reg. ammount: $8.88.

i didnt add 0.25 for ICANN. but all went well, and my domain is up.

when is the 0.25 fee charged ?? anyone know?

oh man
    i saw it

i registerd about namecheap actually... mainly because the owner, or at least a high employee, visits this forum and talks to some people who are having problems. that was cool to me... cause if i have a problem, i could come here and find him if all else fails

i transfered funds to paypal. but i transferred the exact domain reg. ammount: $8.88.

i didnt add 0.25 for ICANN. but all went well, and my domain is up.

"If you still understand nothing, it's time to read, at last, the manual"

Colleagues, I suppose the best thing is to visit ICANN site and read the related discussions, such as this:

http://www.icannbudget.org/letter_to_icann_fc.htm

ICANN simply wants more money and dictated additional fees imposed on certain TLD. The ICANN fees are either silently included without raising the prices, or added, explicitly, to show the problem.

ICANN is very slow, clumsy monster. It allowed many unpleasant events (such as the famous 'unused domains' traffic redirected to sites of TLD operator - shall I tell the name?). It;s rules about DNS issues are out-od-date; the appearance of 'alternate Internet' such as New.net shows that.

Methinks, GoDaddy wishes to demonstrate that ICANN wants more money, just by raising registrars annual fees. That's all.

From http://www.icann.org/financials/budg...5-06oct04.html
    Creating a Reserve Fund

Five years ago as part of the approval of the 1999-2000 budget, the Board stated: "It is the intention of the ICANN Board to create a reserve account of at least one year's operating expenditures, to be funded over several fiscal years." Approval by the Board of the 1999-2000 budget implied that the Board accepted this statement about the appropriate level of reserves.

Up to now, ICANN has made essentially no progress towards this goal. The present budget calls for a contribution to reserves of less than $200,000. ICANN initially wrote a budget for the upcoming fiscal year that made a more significant contribution to reserves. That budget required a variable per transaction fee significantly greater than $0.25. After intensive consultation with stakeholders, ICANN agreed to the $0.25 fee. Balancing whether to apply resources towards accomplishment of strategic goals or building strategic reserves, ICANN chose the former.

Over a period of several years, ICANN will build a reserve fund. When reserve goals are met, a portion of the billable event fee will be eliminated.

Given the spending plan described below, ICANN anticipates the billable event fee to be $0.25 per billable event. ICANN is committed to ensuring long-term certainty for the registrars in terms of that fee.
    As masterbo said, "The ICANN fees are either silently included without raising the prices, or added, explicitly, to show the problem."
    Last edited by 4solutions; 06-08-2005 at 07:41 PM.

Thank you, 4solutions. The explanation is exhaustive. ICANN site isn't too easy to navigate and look for essential information.

I hope only ICANN will easier introduce new TLD. Otherwise, Internet may divide into more than 2 parts, up to segregating into many smaller independent groups supporting their own versions of the same TLDs.

That won't solve the problem of cyber-squatting, of course, it can hardly be solved at current ICANN regulations in effect. So the traditional COM/NET/ORG names can as well become 'stagnant', with the majority of names already taken and held inactive. That's just to illustrate that ICANN pays little attention to real , not imaginary, problems.

Originally posted by masterbo
    ICANN is very slow, clumsy monster.
    That pretty much sums ICANN up, masterbo.

They are more interested in inflating their own budget than dealing with the real problems of the internet.

We're not alone in our opinions. Checkout www.ICANNwatch.org

Originally posted by 4solutions
    That pretty much sums ICANN up, masterbo.

They are more interested in inflating their own budget than dealing with the real problems of the internet.

We're not alone in our opinions. Checkout www.ICANNwatch.org
    Thanks again. A nice resource, added to the list of sites to visit often.

I still have not gotten an e-mail regarding my password issue.

I still have not gotten an e-mail regarding my password issue.
    There may be a thousand and one reasons why email doesn't come. With current SPAM paranoia and blacklists the mail can be as well lost in process.

I'd recommend contact their support using alternate email address. If possible, send them a fax (ther are many free Internet fax services on the Net), - use all means to draw attention.

I do not personally like large registrar behaving like that, but email can be lost and that coukd be not their guilt.

Could you give me a link to a free fax service, and do you have to have a machine?

Could you give me a link to a free fax service, and do you have to have a machine?
    Google search for 'free Internet fax service' reveals many such, at once.

You can try efax.com and MaxEmail.com services. You can subscribe to Unifier2.com services. There are many truly free, but these have a free trial.

Of course I'd strongly suggest to subscribe to those if you are satisfied with their trial service.

If you don't wish to pay at all, try ourfax.com, not a trial service.

Usually they send faxes to email, or you specify email in your fax message. Not necessary to have a fax machine of your own.
    Last edited by Master Bo; 06-08-2005 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks Masterbo, that was a huge helping hand