Chicago Providers w/ AMD 64 Athlons

Im looking for a Chicago provider with high quality bandwidth (Level3 or the liking) who host AMD 64 Athlons. This is what im looking for:

AMD 64 Athlon 3700+
    73Gb SCSI HDD
    1Gb RAM
    1000Gb Monthly Bandwidth
    Around usable IP's
    Preferably Debian, or CentOS

Any Chicago providers offer something close to this?

Thanks.

Serveraxis.com has an AMD Athlon 64 3400 w/1024MB DDR400 RAM and 800GB of transfer for $130.00/month. That should be suffice.

I read in your other posts that you do not like spending much money so the SATA hdd that Serveraxis.com offers will be good enough for gaming. Also, I'm not sure why you would need an AMD Athlon 64 3700 when you're only asking for 1GB RAM. 1000GB of bandwidth is also usually more then enough then you'll ever need.

I've never used AMD 64 Athlons so im not sure what CPU would be best, that was just the fastest single processor i saw. And BTW, i dont want hardware that "suffices" i want excellence. And yes, i dont want to spend alot of money, but that doesnt mean i can't spend $200/month on a single processor dedicated server. I just dont want to spend more than $200/month or so on the box, thats my onloy point.

So, i want the best AMD 64 Athlon single processor dedicated server in chicago for under/around $200/month. I also need SCSI (not SATA) and 1gb of RAM. 1000Gb of bandwidth maby too much, so i'd say around 800 or so is fine, but i do not want to have any overages.

AMD 64 Athlons in Chicago anyone?

zhsprovider, have you seen benchmarks that compared the SCSI and SATA hard drives? I don't think there will be much of a difference as map changes won't be too affected. I suggest you save the money on the SCSI and get the SATA hdd and then use the money saved to either up the RAM or move to a Dual Opteron/Dual Xeon solution.

You should not have any problems going over 800GB unless you have rediculously popular servers on a bandwidth intensive game. If you're just running normal HL/UT based games, and the servers are not all full 24/7, you do not have to worry.

I strongly suggest you reconsider the SCSI/SATA as I don't see any extreme advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by zdnet.com
    Since SCSI is much more expensive, the common perception is that it must be significantly faster. The short answer given to that issue is that with the release of 10,000 RPM SATA drives, SCSI simply does not hold the edge it used to, and one does not feel it is worth the sizable increase in cost.

Also, if your credit allows, I think purchasing/leasing a server, then colocating it would save you a lot more money in the long run. In Chicago, GoWebman.com offers 1000GB & 1U colocation for $99/month.

For example, you can purchase a good Dual Opteron server and sign a lease for about $85-$90/month (for a 24 month term). Then, colocation of $99.00/month plus the $90.00/month for the hardware lease would end up being around the $200.00 budget of yours. Plus, at the end of the term, you will own the hardware and only pay $99.00/month thereafter.

That's a dang good idea, thank you ill look into it.

The good thing about it is if, for some reason, you decide to part ways with your business, you can always just sell the server and use the money to pay off the lease, usually making some money off of that too...since you've already paid the $90.00 for x amount of months, let's say 10, you've already paid $900.00 of the server. If during that time, the Dual Opterons are still running around the same price or just a tad bit lower, you can sell it for around $1200.00 (depending on the configuration), pay the remaining $600.00 or so balance, and put the other $600.00 in your pocket .

http://serveraxis.com/

Use savvis, so it's nice I spoke with Dave over email on and off a week, and he was great to talk to. Answered all my questions and helped me out all he could.

Only reason we didn't nab the box was due to them not having full paypal support

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Yup, Savvis, L3 & BtN is a nice mix . I was going to use them for colocation a few months back but some unexpected events took place that prevented me from adding Chicago as a location.

Re: Chicago Providers w/ AMD 64 Athlons

Originally posted by zhsprovider
    Im looking for a Chicago provider with high quality bandwidth (Level3 or the liking) who host AMD 64 Athlons. This is what im looking for:

AMD 64 Athlon 3700+
    73Gb SCSI HDD
    1Gb RAM
    1000Gb Monthly Bandwidth
    Around usable IP's
    Preferably Debian, or CentOS

Any Chicago providers offer something close to this?

Thanks.
    Hmmm... might want to give Karl @ Steadfast Networks a call. I'm sure he could probbably put something nice for you together.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

This is probably a little late to post in the thread but just for future reference, Athlon64 + scsi is tough to find because there are no Athlon64 mainboards with onboard scsi, so you're looking at adding a controller card, which probably means a custom server.

well thanks, yeah i looked at Server Axis and they have some killer deals. Im probably going to go with the AMD 64 Athlon 3400 for $130/month w/ the SATA HDD. Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by zhsprovider
    well thanks, yeah i looked at Server Axis and they have some killer deals. Im probably going to go with the AMD 64 Athlon 3400 for $130/month w/ the SATA HDD. Thanks everyone!
    Good luck! Let us know how it turns out
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Serveraxis' bandwidth is provided by steadfastnetworks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cserver
    Serveraxis' bandwidth is provided by steadfastnetworks.
    Yea, that's the good thing. Great deals plus a killer network. Hope all goes well for you zhsprovider. Also, don't forget the colocation thing if you're planning for the long run .

Ah, interesting I was oddly reading about same providers, etc.
    I would hop right up to steadfast, skip any resellers as I've seen it can cause issues in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by HP-David
    I would hop right up to steadfast, skip any resellers as I've seen it can cause issues in the past.
    I don't think they are a reseller. I believe they have a rack from Steadfast and they use their own hardware. Dave? Perhaps, you can clear this up?
    Last edited by CyanoX; 06-07-2005 at 11:15 PM.

Serveraxis has a good reputation. I hardly see it as a risk?

If you define owning all of your own equipment and buying transit from someone else as not being a reseller, then we're not resellers. If you don't, then I guess you probably consider everyone in a carrier neutral datacenter a reseller

Id recommend serveraxis as well. I have been using them for my side company, and I have had nothing but good experience's with Dave, and I am a hard client to please.

ServerDave,

My apologies - had just made a silly assumption based on traceroutes!
    //So much for following my own directions about thoroughly researching.

the only reason i wouldn't want to colocate is because im afraid of the technology moving faster than my payments, so after a year of paying off say a pentium 4 3ghz, there will be something out much newer + cheaper + better that i should have waited for.. but yeah, ill let you know how my amd 64 athlon 3400 from server axis turns out!

I've spoken with zhs over AIM and have recommend Steadfast way before you guys.

But according to sales, they do not offer AMD 64 servers.

Delta Anime - you can buy servers from Dave, just click virtual online debit card in Paypal

also there is a difference between reselling bw and reselling servers.

Serveraxis owns all of their hardware
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!