Can i trust ebay

what if i order something and its broken?

Before placing a bid look at the seller's reputation. See where they are located, how long they have been a member, what other buyers/seller are saying about them, and how many good points(+) and bad paid points(-) they have. See if they a have a verified account.

Also read the iteam description CAREFULLY and the terms of the sale. See what are your payment options, PayPal, Money Order, or Check.
    If they are asking for Western Union be cautious.

If the iteam never arrives or in the condition described, eBay has procedures in place to attempt to resolve the problem. Although if you pay with something like money order or Western Union you're not likely to get your money back.

You can look to see whether PayPal Buyer Protection is offered for the item. If so, you are covered up to $1000 if you do not receive the item or if it is significantly different from the auction description, if you pay by PayPal.

Look at the seller's feedback number as well as their %positive feedback. You can also take a look at how many negatives they've received in the past month and past 6 months, and even see how they've responded to those negative remarks.

A safe way of purchasing on ebay is to do so using paypal. You may give yourself added assurance by using a credit card as it provides you with an additional recourse if the item (sold by a merchant) does not turn out as advertised.

Ebay and Paypal are jokes. Their systems rely on a reputations rating, which on the surface appears to work. What they don't warn you about is that many accounts are in fact stolen from legitimate members who have positive feedbacks. So, whatever you are buying/selling, just realize there is a risk that you may lose your money/product to a scammer.

And if you think Ebay and Paypal are on your side, think again. As long as they get their cut, you are nothing more than a pest if you get screwed and complain. You will be run around in circles, have TOS disclaimers used against you, stalled, etc.

My advice is, do not ever perform transactions over $100 on Paypal/Ebay. Use an escrow if you have any big ticket items. Otherwise, just realize the risk you are taking with your money/product.

Originally posted by E_man3
    Before placing a bid look at the seller's reputation. See where they are located, how long they have been a member, what other buyers/seller are saying about them, and how many good points(+) and bad paid points(-) they have. See if they a have a verified account.

Also read the iteam description CAREFULLY and the terms of the sale. See what are your payment options, PayPal, Money Order, or Check.
    If they are asking for Western Union be cautious.

If the iteam never arrives or in the condition described, eBay has procedures in place to attempt to resolve the problem. Although if you pay with something like money order or Western Union you're not likely to get your money back.
    I agree with his point, Ebay is really trustfull but person selling items in ebay may be an cheater.

Check for his reputation, donot pay fully untill you get the product.

My recommendation is to keep away from it as long as you can.

I disagree... I've used Ebay since 1999, and Paypal from 2000. With ebay, I've some poor experience, but thats because I went on the limb in buying a sub par product. (you get what you pay for kinda thing) With pay pal, actually I've had some great experiences. A while ago I had my wallet stolen and I forgot i even had a paypal debit card, (never used it) well somone tried buying a $600 bed on it and it declined. Well, paypal reconized this and called ME! They informed me of the fraudelent action my card and asked me if it was me.

I've never had a company call me about fraud to help, and well at that time, PayPal did.

Yes, Legitmate accounts can get fished, but the percent of those are less than 1% and most of those auctions are shut down before it ends.

Yea, paypal has had a past, but when ebay bought them out, they've improved overall 200%.

My recommendation, use your head. Think smart about buying / selling. Would you buy from someone you can't see/talk to? If not, then ebay might not be for you.

Sean

Originally posted by Skeptical
    Ebay and Paypal are jokes. Their systems rely on a reputations rating, which on the surface appears to work. What they don't warn you about is that many accounts are in fact stolen from legitimate members who have positive feedbacks. So, whatever you are buying/selling, just realize there is a risk that you may lose your money/product to a scammer.

And if you think Ebay and Paypal are on your side, think again. As long as they get their cut, you are nothing more than a pest if you get screwed and complain. You will be run around in circles, have TOS disclaimers used against you, stalled, etc.

My advice is, do not ever perform transactions over $100 on Paypal/Ebay. Use an escrow if you have any big ticket items. Otherwise, just realize the risk you are taking with your money/product.

ebay is abit risky, i nearly got mugged on there, if you ask me its much better to actually go out and buy the goods from somewhere you can physically see them first

btw this isnt related to e-commerce

e-commerce
    Why you think so ? what you do there ? sell goods, online, then it is e-commerce

oops, i never thought of it like that, sorry

If you can trust anyone on web, that can be only eBay. I have only good experience, however only with books.

I don't trust ebay.^V^

Ebay does pretty well with monitoring the users and anything you buy that is over $300.00 I would suggest you purchase the insurance. Anything over $1000.00 you might want to consider an escrow on the funds until the item is recieved.

Ebay is not so bad. Alot of people have bad experiences but it is because they don't research their buyer/seller. And some of the blame lies on ebay. I have sold a car on there I had to sell three times because deadbeat bidders and ebay didnt hellp on the funds.

Paypal is about the same story. I have been using both since 2003. Had a few overpriced experiences on ebay and paypal was actually flawless until a few days ago. I sold a stereo apmlifier for a car back in the beginning of march. The guy used it since march and friend it out... most likely had the gain too high. I sold the guy two amps... identical to each other. He immediately sold one of them and got the majority of his money back and then used the other for three months. He fried it and issued a chargeback for the whole deal. So I lost all of the money from both amps and paypal allowed this. That kind of frustrated me. In my auction description I clearly stated that the only guarantee was that it would not arrive DOA... which three months is well more than DOA. Either way they arent too bad just be careful with large purchases because you could end up giving that money back three or four months later

END OF RANT
    High Quality Low Cost Hosting For all of your hosting needs. Windows and Linux Dedicated, VPS And Shared!
    http://kaveyhosting.com

gone through all the comments, was of great help to me

also there is alot ebay scam... people are scamming each other.. i had scamed myself not once, i dont trust ebay!
    MSN - as@smurfas.us
    ICQ - 299267340
    Best Regards!

You can likely trust eBay as far as you can any large company. Trusting the buyers and sellers that use it's service is another subject altogether. I have only one unpleasant experience and it was resolved with little difficulty. It's like any other business - "caveat emptor"
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."