Dreamhost, Site5 or Powweb?

Hello,

I'm currently administrating a quite large community in need of a host move.

What we need is basically the following:

150-200 GB/month in bandwidth
    5-10 GB in disk space
    A large amount of subdomains
    A large amount of ftp accounts
    A large amount of emails
    Unlimited mysql
    phpMyAdmin
    Good statistics
    Access to raw log
    Shell access
    SSH, if possible
    Some kind of control panel

I've been looking around, and have spotted three packages that might suit my needs (give or take a feature or two) and have a fairly good pricing:

- Dreamhost's Code Monster
    - Site5's Superhosting MultiSite
    - Powweb's One Plan

(I would link them to you, but forum software says I can't... Google'll work, though. )

In short, I can see pro's and con's with all three solutions. Now, I'd like to ask someone with more experience in webhosting than myself. My own personal site is hosted by a local Swedish company that, although they're great, can't match the bandwidth issue.

Suggestions and thoughts, anyone?

site5 in all probability if the choice is limited to those three ...
    you can also take a look at micfo or tera-byte

Thanks for the tips, but neither micfo or tera-byte seems to have the disk space or bandwidth needed.

And can you please specify why you think Site5 would be the best alternative?

The first two on your list are nice choices. I have been very happy with Site5 and you can check for yourself that Dreamhost has a solid rep.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Re: Dreamhost, Site5 or Powweb?

Originally posted by SConrad
    Hello,

I'm currently administrating a quite large community in need of a host move.

What we need is basically the following:

150-200 GB/month in bandwidth
    5-10 GB in disk space
    A large amount of subdomains
    A large amount of ftp accounts
    A large amount of emails
    Unlimited mysql
    phpMyAdmin
    Good statistics
    Access to raw log
    Shell access
    SSH, if possible
    Some kind of control panel

I've been looking around, and have spotted three packages that might suit my needs (give or take a feature or two) and have a fairly good pricing:

- Dreamhost's Code Monster
    - Site5's Superhosting MultiSite
    - Powweb's One Plan

(I would link them to you, but forum software says I can't... Google'll work, though. )

In short, I can see pro's and con's with all three solutions. Now, I'd like to ask someone with more experience in webhosting than myself. My own personal site is hosted by a local Swedish company that, although they're great, can't match the bandwidth issue.

Suggestions and thoughts, anyone?
    I've been with DreamHost in the past for my own personal site. They were alright, not the greatest and not the worst by any means. However, what I did find was that they do have a rather interesting setup for PHP and other things which make deploying semi-complex applications rather interesting.

I'm currently with Site5 for the same sites. They have (for the most part) exceeded my expectations with their server stability and support (there was a period, during the SuperHosting launch when support was significantly slower). However, they seem to have bounced back from that and I'm happy to say that I'm with them and will probbably be with them for many months/years to come.

-- Jonathan
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

And can you please specify why you think Site5 would be the best alternative?
    Already answered above

well my recommandations are http://www.hotlinkhosting.com

Site 5 is not good in their support, as said by one of post . powweb does not have an relaible servers ( you may see more downtimes)

other one is new to me.

Originally posted by spechackers
    Site 5 is not good in their support, as said by one of post
    I'm assuming that you're a Site5 customer if you're making claims like this. Would you be so kind as to email [email protected] with any ticket numbers where you felt our response time was not up to our usual standards? We're constantly evaluating and improving our support team's performance, so it would be very helpful to be able to see past examples of issues.

Thanks much!
    Matt Lightner - http://www.mattlightner.com/
    - First initial to the last name at the mail service provided by the world's largest search engine
    - Founder and CEO (Former) Site5.com, sold in 2008
    - Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

I am using site5 now, I have to say site5 support is better than some other hosting company I have used and using.

Those are all very popular hosts, I did hear that something was wrong with Site5 recently but I am not sure what, I am guessing they have got it fixed. Powweb is kind of sneaky so before you register with them read their TOS very well. Other than you should choose the plan that best fits you.
    Phlint! Web Media [http://phlint.com]
    [email protected]

hear good things about dreamhost

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I've sent some additional questions to the pre-sales department of Site5. Matt's reply in this thread was reason enough to turn the tide, even if it wasn't for jslivko, mtbl34c and DevilDog's posts.

I don't think you'll be sorry
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Originally posted by Site5-Matt
    I'm assuming that you're a Site5 customer if you're making claims like this. Would you be so kind as to email [email protected] with any ticket numbers where you felt our response time was not up to our usual standards? We're constantly evaluating and improving our support team's performance, so it would be very helpful to be able to see past examples of issues.

Thanks much!
    Let us know if the e-mail actually comes through

Personally I would say Site5 out of the list. They have a really good reputation lately.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

Originally posted by spechackers
    well my recommandations are [url]
    Site 5 is not good in their support, as said by one of post . powweb does not have an relaible servers ( you may see more downtimes)
    I've been with Site5 for a couple months now and they have the best support I've experienced in a host. I definitely recommend Site5 out of all the hosts known to man, or any other kind of species you are thinking of.

I would go with dreamhost, preferably, because i have a friend with him and he has liked it there...

I've exchanged a few e-mails with Taber on Site5, and I'm actually impressed with the the fast replies and satisfying answers to my questions.

It's leaning towards Site5. It sounds like they have the capacity for my needs and my.Site5 really looks awesome.

the prices that Site5 offer are not cheap compare to some other hosts, but i've heard quite a lot of praises about their support and their fast server.

Originally posted by SConrad
    I've exchanged a few e-mails with Taber on Site5, and I'm actually impressed with the the fast replies and satisfying answers to my questions.

It's leaning towards Site5. It sounds like they have the capacity for my needs and my.Site5 really looks awesome.
    Yes, I agree.

P.S. I hear they're also looking for a new webmaster, but shhhh.....