Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Question UK hosts - do you accept business from the US?

    We only get a few orders from the States but most of them appear to be fraudulent or people who claim back as a chargeback.

    As they are outside of the UK, we have no legal comeback.

    We cannot defend a chargeback as it was CNP. We lose!

    Paul

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,854
    Don't have any problems with USA orders. All seem to be fine for us.
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,277
    Same here - no problems

    Most of our fraudulent orders come in from other countries.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,134
    Paul,

    The US is probably one of the least likely SOURCES of credit card fraud. Many fraudsters
    will use a US address... but trace the IP and it goes to the middle east, eastern europe or
    asia.

    Dan
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    464
    Originally posted by midphase-Dan
    Paul,

    The US is probably one of the least likely SOURCES of credit card fraud. Many fraudsters
    will use a US address... but trace the IP and it goes to the middle east, eastern europe or
    asia.

    Dan
    Well then again, some might use proxys which would then make the order appear to originate from the united states. I once had a completely "fraud free" order that had US contact info, US IP address and telephone number.

    Only thing that triggered a red flag was the email address had some indonesian words in it.

    As expected, it turned out to be a fraudulent order when the card holder was contacted.

  6. #6
    My problem is I've had a US customer who's been hosting with us for a few months and has now claimed every payment back as a chargeback.

    If she was in the UK we could take them to the smalls claims court but as she's not and it was a CNP transaction - she get's all her money back!

    I lose.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,134
    Originally posted by xperience
    My problem is I've had a US customer who's been hosting with us for a few months and has now claimed every payment back as a chargeback.

    If she was in the UK we could take them to the smalls claims court but as she's not and it was a CNP transaction - she get's all her money back!

    I lose.
    If you are able to verify that the order was not fraud, then look into hiring a US based
    collection agency.

    Best wishes,

    Dan
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

  8. #8
    We have no problem with US orders except those from AOL. Now, we decline all orders from AOL.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    @ Work - Usually!
    Posts
    835

    Re: UK hosts - do you accept business from the US?

    Originally posted by xperience
    We only get a few orders from the States but most of them appear to be fraudulent or people who claim back as a chargeback.

    As they are outside of the UK, we have no legal comeback.

    We cannot defend a chargeback as it was CNP. We lose!

    Paul
    99.99% of all orders we receive outside of the UK are fraudulent.

    We NEVER accept an order from folks outside of the UK.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    @ Work - Usually!
    Posts
    835
    By the way - since putting this policy into force 18 months ago we have a chargeback rate of zero.

  11. #11

    Re: Re: UK hosts - do you accept business from the US?

    Originally posted by mlovick
    99.99% of all orders we receive outside of the UK are fraudulent.

    We NEVER accept an order from folks outside of the UK.
    I'm seriously thinking about making this policy too. Shame really.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    @ Work - Usually!
    Posts
    835
    Well - in place of the country field we have the following message:

    "We only serve clients in the United Kingdom"

    But we still get people trying it on - but they are very easy to spot.

    I regret that our business does not grow at a higher rate but thats OK really, 'cos we have never really wanted to be a "stack'm high sell'm cheap" host anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •