Thread: Which Whois ?

Which Whois ?

Im writing a PHP code to access port 43 and get whois info.
    Take for example http://dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=xxx.com
    It says "I was referred to whois.opensrs.net; I'm looking it up there."
    How can I get that ? I have a list of whois servers for various TLDs. But it shows for .com and .net its whois.networksolutions.com which is obviously not correct as there are many for .com, .net and .org.

Checking whois.networksolutions.com for xxx.com will return
    No match for "XXX.COM".

So how do I figure out which one to search for ?

Thanks

whois.internic.net will show you the part of the registry

such as:
    Code:
       Domain Name: WEBHOSTINGTALK.COM
       Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
       Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
       Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
       Name Server: NS1.INETDIRECTORIES.COM
       Name Server: NS2.INETDIRECTORIES.COM
       Updated Date: 24-may-2005
       Creation Date: 23-mar-2000
       Expiration Date: 23-mar-2008
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Excellent. Thanks Bashar.
    So is whois.internic.net is like a root info kind of thing - will it have all the domain names listed so that I can know which whois server to refer to - in this case whois.godaddy.com ?

Thanks

Is there something like Another problem is an network solutions ban IP address from getting owner contact which reaches 1000 query limits in 24 hours.
    Cannot I query more than 1000 a day ?

Hello anjanesh, there is a php whois class available on this website. http://www.phpwhois.com

You could probably analyze the code for your questions also there are also many php and cgi whois scripts available on Hotscripts.com.
    Name123.com [ We are online Since 2004! ]
    Cheapest Domain Registration & Reseller Services!
    ENOM Domain Reseller Account with Lowest Industry Prices! (Details)
    Plus Excellent Technical Support Along The Way!

most scripts get banned from networksolutions by whoising them too much
    whois.sc was banned in the old days and they worked it out i think and many whois sites are banned now
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

mdadnan - I know how get whois info from a whois server by connecting to port 43 using PHP.

I need to check for some 10,000+ domain names - Will this be legal if I start hitting whois.internic.net so many times ?

Gee... I think they cut me off at ten when I was doing it manually on their website. I can't remember how many it was exactly.
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

The best whois checker IMO ist whois.net , i find there every name which i want..

Sorry to revive an old thread, but...

#1 - If you read the text in the response of most WHOIS/NICNAME lookups it specifically states that you are required to 1) use the data for informational purposes only, and 2) that you will not abuse the service.

To that end, I find that OpenSRS has a fairly open server and isn't too ticked off that you use it.

As well, I have found that doing a whois through Network Solutions without registering the name (if available) within about 24 hours will result in someone at NetSol mysteriously registering the name you looked up within 48 hours, no matter how obscure the domain may be.

Finally, if you look up a GoDaddy.com domain, for instance, and you don't query the GoDaddy.com whois server for it, you will only get a partial record. Because of this annoyance, about three or four years ago I wrote a whois script that will continually perform a recursive lookup until it queries the right server. It does this in a very intelligent manner as well, it doesn't just brute force all the known servers until it finds the longest response.

If anyone would like it let me know and I will mail it to you. It's very easy to integrate into any site.