Dedicated or VPN for Online Business

I'm in process of getting started with an online business. It will be an e-commerce business with payment gateway, SSL certificate, shopping cart and such.

I'm having trouble deciding if we need Dedicated Server or VPN for that?

Also, I'm looking for very reliable servers and have some trouble deciding which one to pick.

Initially I am looking at Verio, RackSpace and LiquidWeb.

I'll have one product to sell and affiliate program.

I hope for some traffic as I'll be in Google ADWords and Overture.

Please advise me.

Thank you very much!

Few more that I looked at:

ServerMatrix and ServInt. I love RackSpace but do not think we can afford it right now.

Only one product then how much traffic do you expect?

Small VPS may be the way to go, stable platform no hardware to worry about, most hosts will allow you to upgrade the VPS package as you need more resources so you can start with the small package and then move up as you get more popular.

If you start with a dedicated then you have to take into account the running costs of the server and the admin tasks required.

Which shopping cart will depend on how you are selling the product and which payment gateway you use. Some will provide you with the cart or suggest a particular one which supports their platform.

If you are using a Third Party Processor then you will have to take into account their regulations on what you can sell and to who(geographically), fees will range around 5% plus. If you have enough volume then a merchant account with a local bank will be cheaper.
    Ron Rogers
    Need SSL Certificates? WEBYSSL.com (rapidssl.com International Affiliate)
    Put Your Mark on the WWWorld with WEBY Systems

I can say this much, you definitely aren't looking for VPN

That would be a Virtual Private Network, very handy for a list of purposes but is not an E-Commerce solution. Trigger mentions VPS, or Virtual Private Server, which might be a good start if you aren't sure how much traffic to expect.

Google adwords and Overture won't drive much traffic though.. unless you're going to spend a lot. You will be OK with VPS.

Oops, I meant VPS

The merchant account will be from the local bank (or other merchant, wheatever fees will be better) and Authorize.net or VeriSign gateway.

As for as Google Adwords and Overture, this will only be in addition to a SEO. We have few more options as far as marketing and advertising goes.

As far as traffic, I'm thinking about couple of thousands a day?

It is a guesstimate.

Thanks!

Will ServInt do the job? How are their dedicated servers when the need for one arises?

Thanks!