Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    More routes? they seem to have pretty fine routing to the uk and across europe. I haven't tested asian routes.
    --
    Rich

Originally posted by hotrod1
    What exactly do you mean? Is it a high load of traffic on your site?
    Gee thanks for asking hotrod - no one else seems interested in my pitiful little problem. LOL

It's comical in a way. I host several small interactive sites on a total of 6 different servers in different DCs (all shared accounts except for this vps) I often get complaints of slow loads from a customer and when I check, everything is fine. In this instance the tables are reversed. Several times a day, I'll experience delays of 10-15 seconds loading a simple HTML page, waiting for FTP to connect or waiting for email program to connect.

Much of the time the VPS is very fast but about 10-15 percent of the visits I get this very frustrating delay. It seldom times out. The thing is, I have a 100 or so subscribers who access calculators on the server with about the same frequency and no one else has ever complained - just ME!

Servint says not their problem. Verizon (my ISP/DSL) says it's not them. I tend to agree it is not the VPS because loads are very light and there is nothing in the logs or WHM tools to suggest anything is haywire. I've been there nearly a year with only one outage (the cable cut) It's the best uptime I've ever had and I love the VPS. I believe their service is top notch although this is the only problem I've ever reported and the guy I got didn't seem very interested after he tested and ruled out his equipment. This behavior started about three months ago.

This is a very unusual problem which beyond my ability to troubleshoot. It only occurs on this account in this particular manifestation. All other web sites including my own sites on other servers are slow at times but not with this frequency. I like the VPS so much I guess I'll just tuff it out. (unless I start to get customer complaints of course)

Hmm, maybe it is other users on the server because on their site they say that each user their own memory level that they can reach and also a spike layer. The high loads might be due to other users on the server with their sites having a high load and it is affecting you at times and they might say it is not them because they don't really notice it.

>>Hmm, maybe it is other users

yes of course, but I'm not technical enough to know how to check for that.

My loads reported by cpanel are seldom above a fraction. sometimes spikes to 2.xx when I run a backup or something so the numbers seem relative to my part of the resource, not the entire machine.

Remember I have subscribers who have not complained - and they are a pretty demanding bunch lol

Lol yes they only way to check is if you see a spike send ServInt an email ASAP and they could catch it or check the log.

My servint account was way too slow with Cpanel. I upgraded it to their Signature plan and it was slightly better but still not usable. Modernbill was painfully slow no matter what, and simple CGI scripts (Bugzilla) would sometimes load instantly as they should, but often took 6 seconds or so to load simple pages. Not sure if I was on an overloaded server or what, I emailed support about performance a few times, but nothing really happened. Not sure how other people don't notice this slowness.

Moved that account to defenderhosting and it runs the Bugzilla fine. Modernbill was slightly faster, but I got sick of dealing with its bloat so threw it on a dedicated. When a customer complained about another account being slow, I upgraded the plan and they offered to move it to a less busy hardware node and that cleared up those problems.

Hmm I hope that this does not happen to me because I run a pretty active vbulletin forum and I don't want to have slow speeds and I was kinda trying hoping that this would be a drastic improvement.

You probably won't have issues if you're on a RAID10 host node. I really installed a ton of tweaks and such to my VPS to get it to run properly, tho. Otherwise, I'd have a huge load.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

The VPS on ServInt that I am looking at is Raid 10 but during the summer I will probably get the feeling for it and find some tweaks and tips to speeding it up and reducing the load but thanks for the comment because I was almost going to look for a different host to buy from.

Originally posted by mkc
    I emailed support about performance a few times, but nothing really happened. Not sure how other people don't notice this slowness.
    mkc this is my situation exactly including nothing really happening from support.

The thing is, I have a number of subscribers who would not tolerate the slowness I am experiencing. The only conclusion I can reach is that I'm the only person affected. If I could be sure of that, it would be comforting.

goldcd,

Have you tried installing eAccelerator? If you're a member of ServInt forums you'll find a few tweaks here and there listed. You can disable services that you don't use also. Are you on a RAID5 VPS Host Node? Everybody is being moved over to a RAID10 one quite seen as has been annouced in their forums.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by goldcd
    mkc this is my situation exactly including nothing really happening from support.

The thing is, I have a number of subscribers who would not tolerate the slowness I am experiencing. The only conclusion I can reach is that I'm the only person affected. If I could be sure of that, it would be comforting.
    You are not the only one affected.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=415122

have you asked the noc to investigate the issues?
    --
    Rich

hotrod - thanks for the heads up. I'll post over there - seems a bit more on topic.

>>have you asked the noc to investigate the issues?

richy,
    yes of course. They say it's not their problem and it appears that is the case.

thats harsh, I could see if it affects me if you wish? it could be unique to your isp perhaps?
    I wouldnt state for a minute that servints vps's are the fastest things under the sun, their base vps isnt going to compare to a vps. however its weird how some people are affected. A lot of slowness can be attributed to people getting a vps, clicking all the buttons and loading the server to the brim with every option possible to the point where simply running cpanel is crippling the server.
    I hope it works out for you
    --
    Rich

No problem and I also hope that you can get your problem solved quickly.

goldcd, let us know if moving to the raid10 nodes help. It's funny that providers are finally realizing that raid5 is crap I whined to defenderhosting about it a while ago but they said raid5 was nice... read recently on their site that all of their storage servers are raid10 now.

RAID5 is very ineffiicent for writing to the actual disk but it is actually not bad for reading from the disk. It depends on your need.

Thanks,

Originally posted by mkc
    goldcd, let us know if moving to the raid10 nodes help. It's funny that providers are finally realizing that raid5 is crap I whined to defenderhosting about it a while ago but they said raid5 was nice... read recently on their site that all of their storage servers are raid10 now.
    Yep. Knock on wood. Good job Tom and crew
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Well, since I'm basically using PowerVPS too, I'm going to write a review on both together.

"ServInt Vs. PowerVPS" : Coming Soon.

This should help people who are in the middle of choosing either provider.

Thanks,

Originally posted by elix
    Well, since I'm basically using PowerVPS too, I'm going to write a review on both together.

"ServInt Vs. PowerVPS" : Coming Soon.

This should help people who are in the middle of choosing either provider.
    Great, you are indeed a bold person to take on such a 'popular' comparison.

I'm about to place an order, so can you do this in the next 60 minutes ... please?

- Vince

Originally posted by hostingvince
    Great, you are indeed a bold person to take on such a 'popular' comparison.

I'm about to place an order, so can you do this in the next 60 minutes ... please?

- Vince
    Sorry, you might have to wait a little longer than 60 minutes. But, if you want my opinion now, please feel free to send me an e-mail or contact me directly via the messenger contacts in my profile.

Thanks,

Elix, will you be accepting bribes? LOL. I am sure both companies will be interested to read your comparison. I know I am.

Support:
    Both top notch. Initial email replies in a few minutes. Servint I'd need to wait until higher level techs got in for things like Apache modules being recompiled if I emailed at odd-ball times. PowerVPS I'll sometimes need to wait for Charles or Tom to get in. I found the staff at both providers to be very friendly overall. This one is a tie in my opinion.

Network/Stability/Uptime:
    Both have fast network speeds. ServInt had something like a 6 hour network issue a while back when I was there when their lines got cut by construction workers or something. PowerVPS is in Equinix so that is a lot less likely, but I recall one instance of a bit of packet loss to one of my ve's, and another instance of new firewall rules blocking ping for a while (and thus setting off my monitoring scripts).

ServInt had their network issue, but have handled that by increasing redundancy. PowerVPS had disk problems for a while, but things have been stable since they made some changes to their RAID arrays. ServInt has been around a lot longer, so you know they won't buckle as they grow, but so far PowerVPS has been growing and adding staff quite well.

I think this is very close, but points would go to ServInt for being around longer and proving themselves over time. PowerVPS has great stability too, but it just hasn't been time tested for as long since they are a much younger company.

Speed
    PowerVPS wins this easily. It's been said that new ServInt VPS are faster now, but I can't comment since I moved a while back. Points go to PowerVPS.

Price/Value
    The lower prices of PowerVPS combined with the faster performance and increased choice in control panels gives these points to PowerVPS.

Flexibility/Personalized Service
    ServInt was nice and let me try out any upgrades free for a few weeks before deciding if I want to keep them. Charles and Tom at PowerVPS really go the distance for custom setups and requests.

Thanks MKC and I await your review elix to see recent information about both companies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast