Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* It's been over 10days! No response from Affordablehost.com/Dotcanada!

It's been over 10 days that I have been unable to use my website and I have not heard from affordablehost.com/dotcanada. Meanwhile I have lost revenue and potential clients.

I understand they made a change to their systems and transfered accounts to another server over a week ago and their would be potential problems.

However, they have not received a single reply to my ticket, they have only added comments during a couple calls.

No word from them if they are actually looking into my ticket, if anything happened, or what they are going to do about it or if they want me to dissappear.

They are not answering the toll-free number posted on the dotcanada website.
    http://new.dotcanada.com/index.php?page=contactus

The only way I can talk to someone is to dial the number listed in the whois (+1.7055242450) and even then I am given the run around.
    At first I would leave messages with either Pat or Jef or the machine. And when I asked to speak to a tech or supervisor, it's either the supervisor is in a meeting, or talking to clients, or just stepped out.
    I heard some rumors that their ticket system may not be working, but that was quickly dispelled as they were able to find my tickets easily during my calls.

It appears as if they are stonewalling me until my contract runs out.
    I believe I have been more than patient with AffordableHost/DotCanada and given them every opportunity to reply to my ticket and resolve the problem, but they have refused. All of this leads me to believe that AffordableHost.com/DotCanada has been negligent and no interest in their customers!

Up until now I have been very patient and diplomatic. This last call I admit I was a bit perturbed when I offered to wait on the phone for a supervisor and was told that I would be tying up their phone line. Well they are tying up my life!
    They really know how to make people feel worthless!

Let me just make it clear that I do not wish any harm on dotcanada, I just want my tabledata so we can go our separate ways. If owner Richard Madison is reading, please respond accordingly so we can put this issue to rest.

Any other advice from forum goers is appreciated. Thank you.
      0 Not allowed!

They aren't stonewalling you just run extremely poorly. Do yourself a favor and move now because the situation will not get better. I cannot stress this enough it will not get better as can be seen by the many other posts with the same problem. Hopefully you had a backup yourself but if not you might have to accept that all your data is lost. I can't sugarcoat this one for you ,but I hope that this was a satisfactory enough answer for you.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?
      0 Not allowed!

If you do a search here on WHT for "affordablehost" or "dotcanada" there are numerous threads dealing with the same topic.
    • Greg Lubbelinkhof
      0 Not allowed!

hi Bruin03

We hope the issue will be solved as soon as possible, if you have still problems after 10 days, maybe you should think twice and find a better hosting place.
    Rotmax - Advanced Hosting Solutions
    | Providing premium hosting since 2001.
    | http://www.rotmax.com
    | Follow us on Facebook: Rotmax-Facebook
      0 Not allowed!

Affordablehost are currently sending out blank billing e-mails - they have 2 of my sites currently up, but not sure for how much longer.

Apparently, all the non-dedicated customers were sold-off, and AH staff have little interest or ability to deal with our position.

AffordableHost are trying to rebrand as AxisHost - but I'm not exactly going to go running to them for any kind of dedicated services - the whole takeover fiasco reflects just as bad on AH as dotcanada.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by I, Brian
    Affordablehost are currently sending out blank billing e-mails - they have 2 of my sites currently up, but not sure for how much longer.

Apparently, all the non-dedicated customers were sold-off, and AH staff have little interest or ability to deal with our position.

AffordableHost are trying to rebrand as AxisHost - but I'm not exactly going to go running to them for any kind of dedicated services - the whole takeover fiasco reflects just as bad on AH as dotcanada.
    I know this has been talked about many times but..... AffordableHost is DotCanada and the former owner and staff of AffordableHost are now AxisHost and they have no control of anything to do with AffordableHost now so to say that they are to blame is ridiculous.
    • Greg Lubbelinkhof
      0 Not allowed!

Affordablehost is not AxisHost. Affordable host is DotCanada. Tina sold off her smaller clients, and changed the name of her company since she does not own AH no more.

AffordableHost was a great company before DC took over. So if you are looking for quality hosting you might look into AX.

0 Not allowed!

Bruin03, as far as I've seen, dotcanada does not follow/respond to complaints made here anymore.

I understand that you need your data, and IMO your only chance is to gently or not so gently make them give it to you, if they still have it. However, according to their Terms of Use, "All account data backups are the account holder's responsibility. AffordableHOST, Inc. is NOT responsible for your data backup or subsequent loss. "

It's definitely not pleasant to learn this lesson the hard way, and I hope you won't have to, but you really should make your own backups (regularly) in the future. Best of luck!

AffordableHost is DotCanada
    Actually, according to Tina, Affordablehost Inc as a company was not sold. What was sold was a part of its hosting accounts and, I assume, the "AffordableHost" brand and site, but not the company itself. Tina said she asked dotcanada repeatedly to remove "Affordablehost Inc" from their site.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Torith
    Affordablehost is not AxisHost. Affordable host is DotCanada. Tina sold off her smaller clients, and changed the name of her company since she does not own AH no more.

AffordableHost was a great company before DC took over. So if you are looking for quality hosting you might look into AX.
    Exactly!
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog
      0 Not allowed!

Respondents,

Thanks for offering help. I've been following the threads highlighting the affordablehost.com/dotcanada issues and now that they're closed, I am trying to get advise and/or help for my particular dilemna.

I'm definitely moving to another host, but it is of the upmost importance that I receive my most recent database talbes as they contain pertinent information need to run my business (my property). As of now, I have been separated from my property without any explanation whatsoever. It's like I'm renting office space and the landlord all of a sudded decides o summarily lock me out, rent paid to date and everything!

Does anyone know how I can get in contact with the owner or manager of the company? What recourse do I have?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Lubby
    I know this has been talked about many times but..... AffordableHost is DotCanada and the former owner and staff of AffordableHost are now AxisHost and they have no control of anything to do with AffordableHost now so to say that they are to blame is ridiculous.
    I'm under the impression that she sold the domain, not the company name - but that she is changing the company name to AxisHost.

As for not having any control over anything - certainly I've read Tina's responses in the thread hyperlinked above - but I'm disappointed there's little she has to say to help encourage her former clients. She seems to have washed her hands of all of us who invested in her company.

Originally posted by Torith
    You're joking, yes? And what if she wanted to sell on dedicated hosting clients on to another dotcanada? I certainly shouldn't intend to put myself in that situation, and especially not on a dedicated.

I don't mean to sound like I have a particular vendetta here - business decisions are business decisions, and as someone with accounts with around 40 different hosting companies, I'm certainly aware of market realities and the experiences of different buy-outs.

However, Tina has to take some responsibility for the way the take-over was managed, and if that means she made some mistakes in the decision making process, then that is something she will be held to account for.

Perhaps Tina is genuinely sorry and has already spent many threads at WHT trying to address her former clients and help with their transition - but it is also hard not to be left with the impression that she has very little care for the clients she has left behind or the situation they are in. Which hardly inspires confidence in her new company. That is not to be taken as a personal attack, but a business decision.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Bruin03, as far as I've seen, dotcanada does not follow/respond to complaints made here anymore.

I understand that you need your data, and IMO your only chance is to gently or not so gently make them give it to you, if they still have it. However, according to their Terms of Use, "All account data backups are the account holder's responsibility. AffordableHOST, Inc. is NOT responsible for your data backup or subsequent loss. "

It's definitely not pleasant to learn this lesson the hard way, and I hope you won't have to, but you really should make your own backups (regularly) in the future. Best of luck!
    Ldcdc, thanks for your reply. Let's not jump the gun here. Affordablehost.com/DotCanada has NOT told me they experienced dataloss.

I consider their refusal to contact me or reply to my inquiries negligence. If we were to just to look for the TOS/TOU everytime there was a problem, anyhost who nolonger wanted a customer could simply decide to say "we had a problem" and point to their TOS and get away with it.

I feel have been cheated, as I have not fully recieved the service I signed up for and I feel it it the responsibility of the consumer to warn others. As I've told Affordablehost.com/DotCanada.com, If they don't have a favorable resolution by 5:00pm today, I am contacting a lawyer.
    There are too many to choose from in these parts. (Los Angeles)
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Bruin03
    Ldcdc, thanks for your reply. Let's not jump the gun here. Affordablehost.com/DotCanada has NOT told me they experienced dataloss.

I consider their refusal to contact me or reply to my inquiries negligence. If we were to just to look for the TOS/TOU everytime there was a problem, anyhost who nolonger wanted a customer could simply decide to say "we had a problem" and point to their TOS and get away with it.

I feel have been cheated, as I have not fully recieved the service I signed up for and I feel it it the responsibility of the consumer to warn others. As I've told Affordablehost.com/DotCanada.com, If they don't have a favorable resolution by 5:00pm today, I am contacting a lawyer.
    There are too many to choose from in these parts. (Los Angeles)
    Have you tried contacting them from here?
    http://www.affordablehost.com/sales.shtml

I've received a response from a helpdesk, but still not been able to persuade anyone that e-mail address plus CPanel has yet allowed myself to log into billing.
      0 Not allowed!

Brian, yes I have.

UPDATE: I called Affordablehost.com/DotCanada an hour ago and was told and told the phone rep that I wanted to speak to a tech. AFter some back and forth, he promised (yet again) to have someone work on it. I asked for the person's name and was told Mike would be looking at it

Just moments ago, 1:15PM PST I called them back and the had the phone rep (Pat) transfer me to Mike who said they had my DB table data on both the old server and new server and the site will be up momentarily and to keep hitting CTRL+ R.

Since then, I've seen the databasess disappear and reappear and the database break.
    My php script has the following error Can't find file: './mydb_cms/mytable.frm' (errno: 13)

I'll remain hopefull but I won't hold my breathe.
      0 Not allowed!

Just chiming in...

I have a trouble ticket that will have been open for a month on Thursday. They check in with it every few days, then never fix the problem. It's not a difficult problem and indeed they know how to fix it, they just never do.

DO NOT HOST WITH AFFORDABLEHOST.
    DO NOT HOST WITH DOTCANADA.

There's a millions hosts out there. It's not like their prices are that great anyway...
      0 Not allowed!

I think we need to make a thread on AffordableHost.com/DotCanada, merge all existing threads on this topic, and sticky it.
      0 Not allowed!

She seems to have washed her hands of all of us who invested in her company.
    Brian, I'm quite sure I would feel something of that sort if I were an affected customer. Then again, I am not, and I can more easily see that according to her statements she appears to be in a position that gives her virtually no option other than to say "sorry".

Just as I'm quite sure dotcanada did not plan for things to take the current turn, as it does them no good, I'm sure Tina did not want to see things end up like this either, even if (in a worst case scenario) for vanity reasons only.

The situation is Lose-Lose-Lose. No one could possibly want that.

Bruin03, I didn't mean to jump the gun or assume anything. I was only trying to cover all scenarios. Sorry for not building my earlier post in a better fashion.

It's good to hear there are signs that you might be able to get your data soon. Good luck!
      0 Not allowed!

You're joking, yes? And what if she wanted to sell on dedicated hosting clients on to another dotcanada? I certainly shouldn't intend to put myself in that situation, and especially not on a dedicated.
    I don't mean to sound like I have a particular vendetta here - business decisions are business decisions, and as someone with accounts with around 40 different hosting companies, I'm certainly aware of market realities and the experiences of different buy-outs.
    However, Tina has to take some responsibility for the way the take-over was managed, and if that means she made some mistakes in the decision making process, then that is something she will be held to account for. - I, Brian

Thanks Brian - thats a very good and valid point.

Its inexplicable to me how both affordablehost ( dotcanada ) and axishost both be
    Affordablehost Inc at the same time. Axishost still says they are Affordablehost Inc, now with a changed name. While Tina says she has asked dotcanada to remove Affordablehost. Inc from their site - there is no proof of that, Dotcanada ( while they had the chat on in the initial few days ) said that they are Affordablehost now. No idea as who is being not honest but someone is being. And to once again make people remind that - before the sale, instead of keeping quiet they actually went on saying of bigger better services and the same good support. If they were not sure of that ( as it has now turned out to be ) they either would have kept mum or given the customers an option to have their backups or let them rethink before some of them went for lengthy renewals.

So far as the former owner saying that the shared business got stressful for her to manage and she was looking for less stressful environs and different business model, to anyone neutral, the dotcanada and axishost have more or less similar business model as far as the webhosting plans are laid out ( albeit some differnces in prices ) . If the shared clients were getting too stressful - it would have been honest if that was admitted clearly in either forum or chat ( instead of shutting them out ) so that customers could rethink before renewing with a stressed out host, instead rosy pictures of great future services were drawn { and that was done by the former affordablehost, ??? just on assumptions , and NOT by dotcanada - dotcanada did not promise anything ] and how everything will be back to normal and even better. Just curious - will axishost have a cut off for number for acceptance of the number of shared clients - it makes no such mention in the site, but I guess it should have, to give a fair idea to the prospective shared clients that the host might get stressed out with shared clients.

I think we need to make a thread on AffordableHost.com/DotCanada, merge all existing threads on this topic, and sticky it. - printerboyweb
    Thats a very valid thing. This should have been done by now.
    Last edited by mahut; 06-06-2005 at 06:40 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I had the same issue with affordable host when dotCanada took over. I opted to get my own virtual private servers. You should do the same.
      0 Not allowed!

Does anyone know how I can get in contact with the owner or manager of the company? What recourse do I have?
    The owner of Dot Canada is a member here but hasn't posted since April 22cd. His username is Lightspeed...maybe he'll answer a PM. Good luck!

Deb
      0 Not allowed!

As big a fan of Tina as I once was, even I cant believe the claims that she bears no responsibility for what has happened to her ex-customers.

It was her right to sell her name and customers, but those who got shafted also have the right to remember how they were so easily pawned off to a bunch of idiots for a few bucks with no notice.

I know I would never give her another dollar of my money, regardless of her price or my hosting needs. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
      0 Not allowed!

As for not having any control over anything - certainly I've read Tina's responses in the thread hyperlinked above - but I'm disappointed there's little she has to say to help encourage her former clients. She seems to have washed her hands of all of us who invested in her company.
    I sympathize very much with those who are stuck in this situation, but the above is not at all how I see Tina. I've read a lot of her responses, and my impression is that she cares but can't do any more. Key points:

- She sold the company because she needed to cut back on her work for health reasons.

- She didn't sell the company to the highest bidder. She chose one that appeared to be interested in providing good customer service.

- She has no more involvement with the company, so she has no power to change anything.

- She signed a no-compete agreement, so she can't provide hosting to previous AffordableHost clients.

If she had built up the company just to sell it to the highest bidder, I wouldn't be standing up for her, but that isn't what happened.

Someone suggested in this forum that she stop posting on this topic. Perhaps she took that person's advice. Whatever she does, I imagine someone will criticize her.

It's sad to see what's happened to the company she worked so hard to build up. I'm sure that with hindsight, she'd do things differently if she could, but we've all been in situations where that is true.

I wish the best for Tina's future and for her former clients, who are now in a predicament we all hope never to be in.

Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt
      0 Not allowed!

So I guess I am lucky ... dotCanada suspended my account on Friday and slept over it the whole weekend until yesterday 11:00 AM reaction.
    (I am a webmaster of a non-profit NGO and have sent mass email, but non-comercial and non-promotional email, with opt-out option and explicit explanation that this is no SPAM by Affordablehost's definiton).
    No repsonse on the weekend at all. And I was just asking to restore at least ftp and phpMyAdmin so I can copy the data ...
    Finally they did yesterday - I have already prepared everything at unitedhosting.co.uk and moved it right away.

dotCanada is pbviously a bunch of lazy Canadians (don't say a word - I am Canadian myself!), who obviously don't care at all about customers.

The customer service number on the AH website will get you to automated menu. After choosing "2" (tech support), NO MATTER when you are calling, you will get a message "All our representatives are busy at the moment. *Please leave a message with your details ]blah blah]". *Any time*!
    There is no "representatives" at all - just a garage ot basement based farmer operation, I guess. The "representatives" is just to inflate themselves.
    But even the average kid won't buy it today.

So *run away* from Affordablehost/dotCanada:
    - no customer services at all
    - no SSH anymore (I need to to access my databases when I am behind corporate firewall which kills phpMyAdmin)

Shame on you, Tina!
    I would've understood your point of the health problems if you have at least mentioned something to give us a sign - but you decided to take all the revenue you can take, and leave us to take all the problems a losses ... I don't think this is ethical at all.
    And please don't give me "This-is-a-business-decision" "b.s." - it is just an excuse to trash your customers.

Still, I wish you good health and long life. But please never do anything like this with your customers ever.
      0 Not allowed!

@writespeak
    Tina did not sell the company but a certain bundle of clients and customers - she retains the company which has just changed name to Axishost. Read her recent posts or other posts in this forum to know. ( However , funnily the same company exists too without the changed name )

She says she brought in a long time trusted partner to minimise the hassles of the job that webhosting demands, but we are confused why the same partner could not be utilised to do the same for the shared clients whom she sold.

While ( in the weeks before and around the sale ) the chat support was taken off ( as well as forums shut ) and stuffs like email were going downhill , she kept on saying everything will be back as before and in much bigger better way - it would have been honest and nice if she kept silent rather than making these assuring statements and painting rosy pictures, which did not give chance to re-think to those who went for lengthy renewals. If she had no control on what services dotcanada would provide, she better had not made this announcements or assurances.
    Dotcanada made no promises ( prior to sale ) but the promises were made by her , which were never delivered.

>>"She didn't sell the company to the highest bidder. "

We have no way to know that - it is not documented to us and the sale was not transparent to us ( not that we ask for that )
    It is just what she keeps on saying "not sold to the highest bidder." - And even if that was not done, what differnece it makes ? Maybe things would have been dealt better by the highest bidder since it would have more money at stake

Not the sale, but the way in which it was handled was misleading utterly and not whatI may call honest.
    While it is a company's policy whether they will announce a slae or not beforehand, it is worth noticing how a similar company ( webdudes worldzonepro ) went with sale at the same time almost but with a prior one month notice to all customers.

If it was outright sale of the company it would have been one matter,then perhaps there would be much less or nothing to say but that she was being hassled by too many support issues demanded by shared customers and this putting stress on her should have been clearly admitted when customers kept on asking "what is happening?" instead of distrubuting assurances over which she had no control ( as is clear now ) - customers if they knew that giving out support was stressful to the host , they could have thought twice before they continued .....
    Last edited by mahut; 06-07-2005 at 04:43 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Wow. Those are some of the longest "sentences" I've ever seen.

[sarcasm]
    It's good to see this thread has already degraded down to the level of the last two locked threads.
    [/sarcasm]
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Lubby
    Not to blame, but there is some residual negative brand effect spilling over to Tina and co, from the way the new Affordablehost owners are running the business. Tina was so strongly branded/bonded to Affordablehost, that it's going to take some time for that link to be severed, from a client/brand perspective.

The new affordablehost owners (dotcanada) should have taken Tina up on her offer to stay on with them, through a transitional period, but they did not, and as such will suffer the consequences.
    • AussieHost.com • Aussie Bob, host since 2001 •
    • Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!! •
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by webcho
    . . . Shame on you, Tina!
    If you want to assign blame, assign it dotcanada's way. Tina did what she felt was right for her and her family. You cannot fault someone for that.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by mahut
    . . . Not the sale, but the way in which it was handled was misleading utterly and not whatI may call honest.
    While it is a company's policy whether they will announce a slae or not beforehand,

You cannot announce a sale of a company, a month before it actually happens. It's just not possible or sensible.
    it is worth noticing how a similar company ( webdudes worldzonepro ) went with sale at the same time almost but with a prior one month notice to all customers.
    Which if memory serves me correct, was aborted and was pretty much a disaster, with clients being down for several days. No offence intended to Webdude, but you can't hold that (attempted) sale up as any kind of example, in this context.
      0 Not allowed!

@ Aussie Bob

>> You cannot announce a sale of a company, a month before it >> actually happens. It's just not possible or sensible.

As I said it is the company's decision - whether it is not possible or sensible depends on the company Many people beleive it to be possible and sensible too Many companies' sales,mergers, takeovers are well announced in press much before - we all know that and have seen that to happen.

Do you think of your clients as your friends ? as partners in success of your company ? It does not matter whether anyone has seen clients in such eyes or not but if you did so you would have been frank particularly when not the company but a certain section of poorer customers were being sold off.

Anyway, that has been their decision and they are free to take that in a way as they like.

About worldzonepro

get your facts from the following :

the company as a whole was sold, not that some customers who were "stressful" were sold , and those who were advantageous were retained

they found it both possible and sensible to tell about the sales more than before one month and offered ample help to customers who wanted backups etc so that even if something went wrong no one will be in a soup

regarding "sales was aborted" - correction : the sale to the bad company was aborted, instead they were sold to some one who could handle the things. the initial company seemed to be messy and good-for-nothing ( just like dot canada ) - so contract with them was cancelled/ reversed and instead it was sold to someone who handled it well and satisfactorily ( perhaps that makes webdude what he is ) - so here's a lesson too , only if someone is listening ......

[ Aussie Bob - the link by webdude you quoted is an old one , and it was not updated ]
    Last edited by mahut; 06-07-2005 at 07:06 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

As I said it is the company's decision - whether it is not possible or sensible depends on the company Many people beleive it to be possible and sensible too Many companies' sales,mergers, takeovers are well announced in press much before - we all know that and have seen that to happen.

Only when the deal is done/finalised, and not before that. You won't hear a serious hosting company announce that they are planning to sell, and they are in negotiations with interested parties etc.

Anyhoooo, you're obviously flogging a dead horse here. You have your opinion that a company should announce prior to the finalisation of selling, and that's your right to have such an opinion. You won't find many company owners agreeing with that, as we're aware of the commercial sensitivities of such actions, and doing so would be contrary to common business sense.
    Do you think of your clients as your friends ? as partners in success of your company ? It does not matter whether anyone has seen clients in such eyes or not but if you did so you would have been frank particularly when not the company but a certain section of poorer customers were being sold off.

I sold HTTPme, and did not give notice to clients a month prior to the finalisation of that sale, nor did I feel it was appropriate to do so. I've never seen a hosting business (of substantial size) sell, who gave prior notice that they were in negotiations with a potential buyer, and made that announcement prior to the finalisation of the sale. I would advise against such a foolish course of action.
    . . . regarding "sales was aborted" - correction : the sale to the bad company was aborted . . .
    Yes, the initial sale to WHP was aborted. I watched that situation unfold, and felt sorry for Webdude, and his clients who suffered through that turmoil. Glad he got it sorted in the end.
      0 Not allowed!

And just an addendum to the #1 to #6 above

since no sales is/was done at gun point and both parties have opportunities to set out the clauses it would have been great ( though not necessary perhaps ) that the former owner kept the clause of keeping her services through the sale and transition ,(instead of looking at who bidded highest or lowest and other non-guaranted stuffs like continual of same good service ) and should perhaps also kept the clause of reversion if things not turned out ok for the clients who have earned her revenue and thus helped her /her family over the years
      0 Not allowed!

@Aussie Bob

How you sold company is your decision. We all know how many other companies in many other fields are sold and I already gave you the example of webdude and worldzone.

I have already told that is is not the sale but the way the sale was done and other points ( #1 to # 7 - any answers / views on those ?? ) what bugs one most.

Thanks that you stand corrected on your views on worldzone - those who want will take a lesson in honesty and goodness from webdude's story on sale of a company
    BTW - the clients at wz did not suffer as much ( no comparison can be done in fact ) as the clients are suffering in this issue under current discussion and they were reimbursed / refunded in more ways than one.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks that you stand corrected on your views on worldzone - those who want will take a lesson in honesty and goodness from webdude's story on sale of a company
    Give me a break. Holding up that (very small) sale, and claiming that anyone who sold their hosting company, without informing clients prior to the finalisation of the sale, is somehow being dishonest, is absolutely rediculous, and extremely offensive.

It's obvious you're intent on your continual bashing on Tina for selling that part of her business. Maybe one day when you've created your success, that you might be in a position to sell your company, that you'll eventually understand. Somehow I doubt it though.
      0 Not allowed!

I simply do not understand a person who acts like a dog who refuses to let go of the bone. Time to move on, mahut. As I've said before, you do yourself no good acting like this. Adults move on.
    Rehashing and rehashing and rehashing the same tired remarks and questions is pointless.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Holding up that (very small) sale,
    Say what?
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.
      0 Not allowed!

Brian, yes I have.

UPDATE: I called Affordablehost.com/DotCanada an hour ago and was told and told the phone rep that I wanted to speak to a tech. AFter some back and forth, he promised (yet again) to have someone work on it. I asked for the person's name and was told Mike would be looking at it

Just moments ago, 1:15PM PST I called them back and the had the phone rep (Pat) transfer me to Mike who said they had my DB table data on both the old server and new server and the site will be up momentarily and to keep hitting CTRL+ R.

Since then, I've seen the databasess disappear and reappear and the database break.
    My php script has the following error Can't find file: './mydb_cms/mytable.frm' (errno: 13)

I'll remain hopefull but I won't hold my breathe.

UPDATE: I can now see my database tables and column names in phpmyadmin but they seem to be broken. I cannot export my sqls nor browse the data.

Each time I click the a table name I get the following error:
    MySQL said: Documentation
    #1017 - Can't find file: './pragma00_clientcollab/assignments.frm' (errno: 13)

I think their mysql is broken, but I've already been assured that they have my data so I'll see what happens today.

Meanwhile, I've ordered a package from resellerzoom and will be shopping for a VPS solution.
      0 Not allowed!

>> "claiming that anyone who sold their hosting company,

>>without informing clients prior to the finalisation of the sale,

>> is somehow being dishonest, is absolutely rediculous,

>>and extremely offensive".

Dear and respected Aussie Bob

( httpme was a site I respected )

No where I have made such claim - please read again if you will like ..... I have just given an example how another peer dealt with sale .... I have said that dishonesty is not about the sale or not disclosing it but the way it was distractingly and constantly said to suspecting customers ( when services went downhill ) that things were being made better by the staff in the background and so and so ....

While ( in the weeks before and around the sale ) the chat support was taken off ( as well as forums shut ) and stuffs like email were going downhill , she kept on saying everything will be back as before and in much bigger better way - it would have been honest and nice if she kept silent rather than making these assuring statements and painting rosy pictures, which did not give chance to re-think to those who went for lengthy renewals. If she had no control on what services dotcanada would provide, she better had not made this announcements or assurances.
    Dotcanada made no promises ( prior to sale ) but the promises were made by her , which were never delivered

where in the world people think of a sale when the hosts keeps on assuring that same support and staff and all will be back with better and bigger hosting plans ??

please read # 1 to # 7 again and say what you have to say in order of 1 to 7 ... you are not bound to say of course and other people can see clearly the logic ( those who want to )

being logical and seeking truthful logic , and being after the gold standards of client-owner relationship is not bashing .... i guess those who say so are not reading my posts in entireity ....
      0 Not allowed!

offtopic :
    Maybe one day when you've created your success, that you might be in a position to sell your company, that you'll eventually understand. _ Aussie Bob
    To me success is not selling my company but acquiring more and more to mine and making it bigger as well as better To me success is also retaining my customers through generations ... and all of them ( not just those who are less stressful and thrwoing of those who are more stressful ) .... instead of leaving in dark and unsure hands those very people who made me earn my bread or success being by their side and being frank with them if I have difficulties .... for me a company has different meaning

back to topic, any answers any one for # 1 to #7 on page 2 of this thread - no one is obligated to give any answers though
    Last edited by mahut; 06-07-2005 at 01:02 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Aussie Bob

very interesting point of view!

Basically, all that matters in a business is the health and fgamiliy of the business owner, while the customers can just take a hike ?!?!?

Because *this is* what I see reiterated through most of your replies in this topic.

The customers have no health and family, eh? They don't spend sleeples nights to support their website probably? They don't the websites to support their families?

That is hwat I hear from you.

I respect *anybody's* health and family, and understand that one's own health and family are most valuable to him/her.

But I in no way accept that 100% of the risk and responsibility have to be taken by the customers, and 0% by the business. A fare share is what a good business is.

There was another good point up in one of the postings: why was Tina assuring us that everything will be better soon?
    I assume she was honest. But then she definitely she lacks very important business skills - to recognize such a disaster like dotCanada.

And all those questions she is not answering - who actually owns the AffordableHost company? Here - affordablehost.com/acquisitions.html - it actually states that AxisHost has been purchased by Affordablehost. So does that mean dotCanada owns AxisHost as well?
      0 Not allowed!

That page is old. Tina owns AxisHost, not dotCanada which owns AffordableHOST since Tina sold it.
    Last edited by GP-JT; 06-07-2005 at 04:51 PM.
    GotPing Internet
    www.gotping.com
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast