Extremely Strange Request

Hi there!

I just registered a domain for a client of mine. All he wanted was a domain and domain forwarding.

After I got the domain registered for him, he told his web hoster to give me a call and to give me the details so that I could forward his domain to the correct IP and etc.

Now, the funniest thing is that...

His web hoster actually told me to forward the domain to this shared IP, 203.115.195.199.

I'm just wondering right now what I should do or where should I proceed? I told him to just give me his DNS server and I'll be done with it in less than 2 minutes but he said he has no DNS cause he does not do email hosting.

I'm seriously lost and really baffled by the request.

What am I suppose to do? Could someone just explain what I'm actually suppose to be doing? As far as I know, I could just create an account for him on WHM and change his DNS to point everything to that shared addy but what good would it do? Wouldn't getting his server's DNS addy be easier/faster?

If anyone has ever come across such a thing before, please do advice. Thanks.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Sounds to me like you will need to use your nameservers and point all of the A recoords to that IP.

Originally posted by Darph Bobo
    Sounds to me like you will need to use your nameservers and point all of the A recoords to that IP.
    That was exactly what I thought but why would anyone wanna do that? Wouldn't it be totally easier if he actually just gave me his DNS or the DNS of that server and be done with it?
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

They may not have a DNS server, or better yet 2 DNS servers which provides DNS backup.

You don't even need to create an account for this person, in WHM under DNS functions click on "Add a DNS Zone" Put in the domain name and the their IP they want it to point to.

Originally posted by aodat2
    That was exactly what I thought but why would anyone wanna do that? Wouldn't it be totally easier if he actually just gave me his DNS or the DNS of that server and be done with it?
    Yes it would. My issue with this would be them using my nameservers but not paying anything for it. It's not a lot of bandwidth or CPU, but it is still not free.

Does the registrar you use offer you any DNS functions? I know enom does, and if yours does I would use them instead.

DNS hosting is one of those things that you can easily make a one-time fee, and then charge a fee for modification.b

Originally posted by Darph Bobo
    Yes it would. My issue with this would be them using my nameservers but not paying anything for it. It's not a lot of bandwidth or CPU, but it is still not free.

Does the registrar you use offer you any DNS functions? I know enom does, and if yours does I would use them instead.
    Exactly. I would not do this as it will cost you some bandwidth - depending on how busy he is. Unless of course he is willing to pay for it, let your regisrtar do the forwarding.
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

We had this recently too. A client registered a domain with a Reseller good while back. He then came along and said he was getting a hosted store built and provided us/Reseller an IP to point the domain at. I asked for the nameservers and his new host said that that would cost him more!

Very odd!
    Mick Beeby
    www.reyaltec.com - Quality Helm Dedicated, Reseller & Shared Windows 2003 Hosting. UK & US based servers.
    www.aspbite.com - Modular ASP Content Management System

Why don't you host the dns on behalf of your client for free on Zoneedit?

or use the registrar's dns to point it to their IP.