Can this be done???

I want to start my own web hosting service, i've got a server (HP 2.8 gig, 1 gig ram, 120 gig SATA raid 5, etc etc) and ive got a dedicated 256Kbps link to that server, now i want to start small and because of this, i was thinking if i sign up for a reseller hosting, would i be able to host the same site at my own server and a second copy of the same site at the reseller hostings account, so in case my connection trubles get me down, i would always be able to access the site from the other server???

Also where can i get some training or books or atleast find out more about the web hosting business (besides here, i mean books and all)???

Thanks

hi,

To be a webhost i dont think there are books although this website pretty useful, if you have a look around and ask people for different items such as tiny tools ( an automated paypal system that setups your users accounts ).

fireback - now changing to redihot.com

You can have that sort of redundancy by using diffrent name servers, but why would'nt you just put the whole thing on a reseller account ?

Originally posted by fireback.co.uk
    hi,

To be a webhost i dont think there are books although this website pretty useful, if you have a look around and ask people for different items such as tiny tools ( an automated paypal system that setups your users accounts ).

fireback - now changing to redihot.com
    I'm guessing that he wants to learn how to look after a dedi server as well.

As previously said if you keep the copies of both sites up to date then you can just use change the name servers for the domain if the main site goes down.

n3tw0rk5, exactly, i will config my linux server to use two DNS's use a primary and a secondary, should one fail the second on would be used. I want to do this in order to see how the business can run with the support of a another hosting company (due to financial issues) also to build my business slowly so that one day i would completly disconnect from the other hosting companies for their service, and just use my servers and my services alone, i think it's a good idea and am hopeful it will work anyone else have any other opionions?!?!?

256kbps is not very fast, My 1MB sucks and i really thinks its slow even though i can max it and get cool download speeds but for hosting you should be aiming at a 1.5Mb Line at least although most use 10Mbit

I'm sure there are some quick switch DNS applications you can request your webhost installs they may charge for this tho, It basically states that if the domains reseller is down the domain is auto switched.

Also remember:
    256kbps maybe the link but you need to find out storage.

i.e. i have a 4mb connection
    but my streams are..

Down - 2.8mbps
    Up - 1.2mbps

You could find your upstream is only 56kbps or LESS ! my old 512kbps connection only had a 56k upstream