Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stay away of affordablehost.com

Hi, i have a reseller account with affordablehost. I bought a reseller plan with hometownhosting like 10 months ago, and everything was ok until affordablehost bought HTH. When they moved me to Callisto my nightmares began. I have had a lot of problem with clients, and i have losed more than one. Weeks without mail,....
    And the last is that i'm without my accopunts working or one week. Since the 28 of May i'm without my accounts working. I have posted like 15 tickets and i think i had only one stupid answer. And the situation is that at the day of today i continue without my domains working and my WHM are not working too. And this is after 10 (TEN) days and losing clients of course. I don't know what can i do......

I'm thinking on buying another reseller plan with another company cause this are not serious and are laughting to my face.

If anyone had the same problem and moved to another hosting (reseller plan) please tell me, i'll be very gratefull.

Finally my advice keep away from affordablehost.com, the are not serious and they will lautght of you.

PD: Sorry for my english lOl
      0 Not allowed!

They have a telephone number, why not try calling them if your in same country.

Call 1-877-402-9532 (usa only) or 415-869-8667,
    Fax (858) 712-8055, Toll Free Fax (866) 889 3661
    E-mail to webmaster@affordablehosting.com.
    LEVEL5.HOST
    Domain & Web Hosting Services since 2010. 24 Hour Telephone/Live Chat support service.
    UK GOV Crown Commercial Supplier, and G-Cloud Framework. Suppliers for UK Gov and Private Sector companies.
      0 Not allowed!

Gold1234 is right. Contact them via telephone.

Also it would be interesting, which domain name you host with them?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.
      0 Not allowed!

Really sad to see AH to go down the hill.
    Linux System admin (since 2001)
    * cPanel/WHM, Directadmin, Apache, DNS, PHP, HyperVM, Lxadmin, Openvz*
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by jayzee
    Really sad to see AH to go down the hill.
    I agree. It must be literally breaking Tina's heart.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

What do u think about bliksemhosting?
      0 Not allowed!

I am in the same situation as you (Hometown -> AH -> Dot Canada).

The first transition from Hometown to AH was actually quite seamless. The service has just been flaky last week, but I am hoping that the new owners can get their act together. Having said that, I will likely start researching alternatives over the next few months.
      0 Not allowed!

I've been through the Hometown -> AH -> Dot Canada transitions too. I really liked the Hometown style and the changes have taken it all so far away from the kind of host I originally signed up with. It's all very well being told that the new owners will take you on to bigger and better things - but that's not what I was looking for in the first place (and it doesn't seem to reassure anyone).

Callisto had problems around the 28th and they took a couple of days to copy accounts onto a new server (Laurier). It sounds like yours may not have gone over?

It took longer for my mail to get back but things seem to have been better the last few days. I'm not using my reseller account to run a business (thank goodness) so I haven't been too badly affected. But I'm looking for a host that I feel more comfortable with now.
      0 Not allowed!

well very sorry to hear about this issue.

Better try an VPS instead of an reseller A/c, and also find it from an reliable service like ev1servers.com
      0 Not allowed!

spechackers,

The majority of reseller account users are there for a reason: lack of control

I wouldn't recommend going from a reseller account to a VPS unless you're willing to work in *nix administration to some degree.

That said its sad seeing a good host go downhill!
    Not sure why the purchase was made, not sure why the sale was made.. but definitely a failure.
      0 Not allowed!

ya with administration you have total control to your server , you can too provide attractive packages.

the realy problem is administration , we need an good knowledge and command over SSH
      0 Not allowed!

It must be literally breaking Tina's heart.
    I believe so too.

demssite, I recommend you make yourself a list of some 20 or so hosts and then run searches (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?s=) to find feedback from customers and evaluate each host's reputation. Also send them presales questions.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by LastOneOut
    I've been through the Hometown -> AH -> Dot Canada transitions too. I really liked the Hometown style and the changes have taken it all so far away from the kind of host I originally signed up with. It's all very well being told that the new owners will take you on to bigger and better things - but that's not what I was looking for in the first place (and it doesn't seem to reassure anyone).

Callisto had problems around the 28th and they took a couple of days to copy accounts onto a new server (Laurier). It sounds like yours may not have gone over?

It took longer for my mail to get back but things seem to have been better the last few days. I'm not using my reseller account to run a business (thank goodness) so I haven't been too badly affected. But I'm looking for a host that I feel more comfortable with now.
    I've been keeping out of most of these HometownHosting/AH/DotCanada threads (for those that don't know I was the owner of HometownHosting). However I just wanted to comment on this. When the transfer from HTH to AH occured everyone was asked to change there nameservers or IPs. I am just wondering if maybe this client didn't do this? Originally the site still would have worked on Callisto I believe but maybe with this move over to the new Laurier server those settings no longer worked? It might explain why most other people's sites are back but yours aren't. Anyway it is something to look into.

It is very sad to see how things have turned out so badly with the AH>DotCanada transition. With most transitions there will be the little bumps here and there which can be expected, however this has been nothing short of a disaster and I know I feel bad for how things have turned out longterm, even though I had no control over this transition.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof
      0 Not allowed!

Dear demssite,

Sad to hear your sites have been down for over a week, it can be very frustrating for you.

Best of luck in finding a new provider, you may wish to check around a few directories or in WHT before you make your next decision.

Good luck
      0 Not allowed!

15. Callisto has been a total nightmare from day one and I personally still think it is the incompetence of th AH team that cause most of the troubles.

According to the new site Callisto has been taken offline by the datacenter:

It seems that in light of recent malicious activity on Callisto, the datacenter where the server is housed has chosen to disable the interface connecting this server to the internet. More specifically, it seems that several sites on the Callisto were defaced recently by hackers setting up phishing sites. These attacks resulted in complaints by victims, and we subsequently suspended and then cleaned up the website.

The Datacenter owner has determined that the number of incidences if this sort of malicious attack has surpassed that permitted by their AUP. They have subsequently disabled the server.

So basically after four months of screwing around with Callisto Tina and her "team" where unable to solve the issues and just sold us off. I guess it is also a way of dealing with your own incompetence.

Check this link for the latest update:

http://www.webhosthelpdesk.com/?_a=a...=details&_i=57

Greg might be right about the DNS update, make sure you either use the new IP's or point everything to the new server because Callisto is DEAD. And my guess is it will stay dead.

And yes they sucked by not telling all Callisto account owners about these major issues before or AFTER. But you get what you pay for I guess, I have moved to resellerzoom and so far service and support have been 10x better then HTH or AH (Sorry Greg) they solved every issue no matter how small.

have fun
      0 Not allowed!

The link above doesn't work.

Does anybody know how to get my data from Calisto?
      0 Not allowed!

"So basically after four months of screwing around with Callisto Tina and her "team" where unable to solve the issues and just sold us off."
    Thats right - you said it very pithily .

And no one has answered yet the following :

Tina did not sell the company but a certain bundle of clients and customers whom she thought "stressful" - she retains the company which has just changed name to Axishost. Read her recent posts or other posts in this forum to know. ( However , funnily the same company exists without the changed name too)

She says she brought in a long time trusted partner to minimise the hassles of the job that webhosting demands, but we are confused why the same partner could not be utilised to do the same for the shared clients whom she sold.

While ( in the weeks before and around the sale ) the chat support was taken off ( as well as forums shut ) and stuffs like email were going downhill , she kept on saying everything will be back as before and in much bigger better way - it would have been honest and nice if she kept silent rather than making these assuring statements and painting rosy pictures, which did not give chance to re-think to those who went for lengthy renewals. If she had no control on what services dotcanada would provide, she better had not made this announcements or assurances.
    Dotcanada made no promises ( prior to sale ) but the promises were made by her , which were never delivered.

>>"She didn't sell the company to the highest bidder. "

We have no way to know that - it is not documented to us and the sale was not transparent to us ( not that we ask for that )
    It is just what she keeps on saying "not sold to the highest bidder." - And even if that was not done, what differnece it makes ? Maybe things would have been dealt better by the highest bidder since it would have more money at stake

Not the sale, but the way in which it was handled was misleading utterly and not whatI may call honest.
    While it is a company's policy whether they will announce a slae or not beforehand, it is worth noticing how a similar company ( webdudes worldzonepro ) went with sale at the same time almost but with a prior one month notice to all customers.

If it was outright sale of the company it would have been one matter,then perhaps there would be much less or nothing to say but that she was being hassled by too many support issues demanded by shared customers and this putting stress on her should have been clearly admitted when customers kept on asking "what is happening?" instead of distributing assurances over which she had no control ( as is clear now ) - customers if they knew that giving out support was stressful to the host , they could have thought twice before they continued .....

since no sales is/was done at gun point and both parties have opportunities to set out the clauses it would have been great ( though not necessary perhaps ) that the former owner kept the clause of keeping her services through the sale and transition ,(instead of looking at who bidded highest or lowest and other non-guaranted stuffs like continual of same good service ) and should perhaps also kept the clause of reversion if things not turned out ok for the clients who have earned her revenue and thus helped her /her family over the years

Well , no one is obligated to give answers and not that answers may help the situation, but it will remain as important note of what happened

My sincere apologies if I have caused any sort of inappropriate feelings / reactions to any one, they please ignore this post but if they do answer, please answer point by point ( no obligation here too )
      0 Not allowed!

I absolutely subscribe under the above points in the posting from mahut

I think Tina underestimates the damage to her still-running company in this forum. She will just bare the consequences in the form of her "liked" (by her) customers leaving her after seeing how she treated another "class" of customers.

If I was one of her "valued" customers and I saw all these comments here, I would make plans to leave her hosting services immediately.

I have already left my reseller account with AH-dotCanada, but even with no claims on any refund I have no answer to my request to cancel my account for more than 2 days

I strongly advise everyone to leave Affordablehost and dotCanada immediately - or they will loose the WHOLE account, as happened with me on a single account on server CALISTO.

I don't understand those other loosers - from the AH data center: why do you have to shutdown a whole SERVER because of hosting problems? Did it cross their sick minds that it is enogh to just stop APACHE from running there, so users can at least backup their data (files - via FTP, databases - via remote MYSQLADMIN)?

Obviously not. Obviously the irrational fear and complete ignorance on how technologies EXACTLY work is going to make pleny of people suffer again.

I wish those loosers to get sued and suffer the losses they deserve.
      0 Not allowed!

Mahut, people keep answering your questions you just don't seem to notice. Here is an attempt to answer a few, simply from reading all the other threads you have posted in about affordablehost.

#1. She sold the affordablehost brand along with most of the clients, she did keep a certain sector of the clients, I believe dedicated server/colo customers. These clients that were kept are under the AxisHost brand. As far as the legalities who knows if it was the same incorporation renamed or a new one altogether. It really doesn't matter as far as we are concerned.

#2. Maybe the new person's expertise do not work with that other market, or would not be able to cover everything needed and it made more sense to do what she did. This is something that again none of us know the exact specifics on so for us to say something should be done way one or another is ridiculous.

#3. I believe I read in a thread that DotCanada offers things like SiteBuilders and other tools that clients of AH didn't get at the time. I am not sure if this is still the case or what the situation is but if that was the impression Tina had then she had every right to say that. Shutting down chat/forum I am not sure the reasoning of.

#4. This is really none of your business either way as you said. I am not sure what you are trying to get at with this question.

#5. How can you announce a sale before the company is sold? I would imagine that it was announced on or very near the closing date and saying anything before that would likely go against any NDA that was signed and just doesn't make sense. Also from a business perspective if Tina were to tell all her clients 1 month in advance that she was selling then there could have been a mass exit and therefore her company becomes worth much less. Just doesn't make sense.

#6. She doesn't have to tell a customer anything in reality. If someone sells a local store in your city they don't put a big sign on the window or tell everyone that comes in that "We are selling because the owner is having health issues". If they say anything at all it will show "under new management" and for the most part you never know what happened. I am not sure why everyone here expects Tina to have told them all this in advance and scared everyone then. Again it does not make sense business wise.

#7. You can't reverse a sale of this magnitude very easily and that is just silly to even consider and I would venture to say very rarely would be put into a contract. As to why they didn't keep her on during the transition only DotCanada knows as it seems Tina has mentioned a few times that she would be willing to help out.

Hopefully this will answer your questions Mahut and you will be able to give up asking these over and over and over again in different threads. These answers have all been mentioned in other threads or are just common sense.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof
      0 Not allowed!

Lubby

are you serious?!?!

#1: when I was receiving invoices, they stated to be froma COMPANY with the name Affordablehost. Not from a "brand".
    As I pointed, on the Affordablehost site you can find that they own AxisHost - which is claiemd to be Tina's company now. Or is just a "brand" again? Did you see clear answer on this one.
    No.

#2: agree on this one with you

#3: your comment is almost absolutely irrelevent: the bottom line is that while shutting down support, Tina was saying in the forum and in emails that everything will be OK. And the shutdown live chat was sitting for a while saying that it WILL BE back soon.
    That is an outright lie: Tina new very well that those loosers at dotCanada have NO live support and that she is selling her customers. Who would've reopen the live chat "soon" then?

#4: No, it IS our busniess to elaborate on this since as far as I understand TINA HERSELF stated that (correct me if wrong)

#5: what world are yoiu guys living in?!?!? Do I need to remind you of the sales of Peoplesoft to Oracle, or Compaq to HP, which were discussed whole years before really taking place?
    True, those are PUBLIC companies and are regulated by USA SEC.
    That is why I have no claims here.
    But I do have a claim: why the email for the sale came from dotCanada, not from Affordablehost? Have you seen such "silence" after the deal is done?
    Also, the business has TWO sides: the seller and the buyer. If it was considered that the buyer is free to do EVERYTHING disregarding any care for the customer, that should have been stated in the TOS.
    Something like "we don't care for your business and your losses - we care only about our profit. We can do anything we like, even trash you".

#6: what about a short email "thank you, I sold, wish you luck" ? From TINA, not from the buyer?
      0 Not allowed!

@Lubby

Thanks

>> She sold the affordablehost brand along with most of the clients

she retains Affordablehost Inc, see this forum. She sold clients who were "stressful"
    [ why or when they became stressful ?? ]
    any other example in the entire hosting industry where only a portion of the clients were sold ???

>> Maybe the new person's expertise do not work with that other market

Really , no other person with this market expertise ??
    well .. if they found some one to deal with problems of ded clients, they found no other person who has enough expertise to deal with the problems of shared clients ???

>> Shutting down chat/forum I am not sure

So, why comment ?

>> This is really none of your business

ok but that does not answer the doubts

>> How can you announce a sale before the company is sold?

How you keep on saying nothing is happening ?? Why not just keep silent instead of making assurances which are neither guaranted nor that any one was sure of
    Read this forum to learn how worldzone sold the company by being frank, friendly about the proceedings from one month before No one asked Affhost to do that, but just asking why they had to mask it under so and so, when silence would have been honesty

>> She doesn't have to tell a customer anything in reality

Thats what BUT they went on telling - assurances were being given that the then absent staff ( absent from chat, support etc ) were worikg for betterment , YES , thats how they said it and to me that is not honesty

>> You can't reverse a sale of this magnitude

what about staying through transition and if that was not allowed 'do not sell' to that company who dont allow that ??
    Once again to give an example , a sale of high magnitude was reversed by wzpro almost at the same time

SORRY - the questions were NOT answered ....

And , think of customers as friends with whom you can discuss not just as commodities to sell off , think of them who gave you business and made you what - sure there could have been better ways of honesty and dealing the entire thing
    Last edited by mahut; 06-08-2005 at 02:19 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

22. To be honest I had similar issues with AH and especially the BS way Tina tried to pretend everything was great and getting better by the minute.

Personally I just accepted the fact tina and staff suck and moved on. And in case anyone doubts this: If you as a host make such a mess and can NOT fix this for months. Your datacenter closed your server because of AUP. You have no business being in the hosting business.

Anyway here is a complete quote for anyone who needs the full callisto info:

May 29, 2005 - 12:30 A.M. Server Callisto is down

28 May 2005 - Support - Mike
    Last edited by Support - Jeff, 30 May 2005

Current network outage on Callisto
    It seems that in light of recent malicious activity on Callisto, the datacenter where the server is housed has chosen to disable the interface connecting this server to the internet. More specifically, it seems that several sites on the Callisto were defaced recently by hackers setting up phishing sites. These attacks resulted in complaints by victims, and we subsequently suspended and then cleaned up the website.

The Datacenter owner has determined that the number of incidences if this sort of malicious attack has surpassed that permitted by their AUP. They have subsequently disabled the server.

We are in the process of attempting to negotiate with the datacenter to allow us to move the clients to new servers that we have standing by in another facility with a more professional administrative staff. This server has been our primary candidate for migration since we began our evolution plan. We will update this ticket as we have more information.

May 29, 2005 - 3:00 AM EST

Fortunately, we had a server on standby, and our technicians are working to get the accounts transferred over to the new box as quickly as possible. The new server name is Laurier, and if you have a recent back-up, and would like to have restore your back-up to the server, open a support ticket with your username and password, and our technicians will re-create your account so you can upload immediately.
    ---
    May 30, 2005 - 11:30 AM EST

Our staff have completed the copy process for accounts hosted on the callisto server and all cpanel/whm logins can now be access within the following servers;
    WHM access - https://laurier.genwebhost.com:2087 or https://turner.genwebhost.com:2087
    cpanel access - https://laurier.genwebhost.com:2086 and https://turner.genwebhost.com:2086
    If you are unable to access the cpanel/WHM system for your account on either of these URL's please submit a support ticket and our staff will attempt to correct the issue for the affected domain name(s).
    ---
    So forget the whole list of questions its a waste of everybodies time. It all sounds like Tina screwed a lot of customers and got money for it, its pointless to speculate why or how. Just get your stuff fixed and move to another host.

One thing I can tell you: your customers will say the same rubbish about you because they have no clue why sites went down and data vanished. All they know is they trusted YOU to take care of it. A former customer of mine wrote some pretty nasty stuff about me on his new forum when callisto died. I was to blame for loosing 2 years of work because he never made backups etc. etc.

Unlike tina & co I did explain the whole situation to him and got all his data back. But without good info people will jump to conclusions, so be carefull with that yourself
      0 Not allowed!

I'm glad to be hearing from other hometownhosting/affordablehost customers.

Originally posted by mahut
    >> She sold the affordablehost brand along with most of the clients
    she retains Affordablehost Inc, see this forum. She sold clients who were "stressful"
    [ why or when they became stressful ?? ]
    any other example in the entire hosting industry where only a portion of the clients were sold ??

Whether or not Affordablehost Inc sold a brand to DotCanada as Tinda claims (but the "official" email refutes) it is not our business. I personally can careless. The point is we had a contract with HometownHosting/AffordableHost Inc for services they did not provide.

I honestly think all their customers are entitled to refunds.

They think they can get away with it because it was their lower hosting class customers but in principle, they owe us our money back.

It's a good thing I printed out many of the threads in this forum.
      0 Not allowed!

I honestly think all their customers are entitled to refunds.

They think they can get away with it because it was their lower hosting class customers but in principle, they owe us our money back.
    Well said, agreeing in full.

And to #1 - #7 , they have not answered also.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by mahut
    And to #1 - #7 , they have not answered also.
    There is nothing to answer. #1 - #7 are statements not questions.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast