Thread: set-up

1. set-up

Hi,

Usual questions... my company has just starting craking on with internet accounts for customers and I need to set up a webserver etc for acces to internal database.

Our site is currently hosted exernally and I would appreciate a few best practice ideas, things like should it be connected to our network or outside of ? + I imagine i need to get a static IP of our ISP too ?...

Thanks

John

I'm a bit lost.
    "Internet Accounts"?
    Is that webhosting or access to an ISP..?

Who are these accounts for?
    Andrew Thomas

3. sorry !

We are setting up a new website so that our customers can view accounts + orders etc - want to host website internally so that we can link to our database server. Just after some advice security wise + a basic setup model to go by..... (one webserver, one db server, one workgroup, 10 PC's)

make more sense ?

Ah ok.

You will need a dedicated IP address from your ISP.
    Next you will need a DNS service.
    Try pointing your domains nameservers to somewhere like zoneedit.com - signup for a free account if you want.
    Connection- You'll need at least 1Mbit UPLOAD, more if it's busy.

Next, you obviously need the server.
    Depends on traffic obviously.
    What OS is your database server? You'll probabally be best to get a server of the same manufacturer (windows or linux base etc).

Set up your website on the webserver, and get it to connect to the local ip address of your database server. Don't give the database server an external IP address if you want to keep it secure.
    Andrew Thomas

5. Right I'm going to sound thick as i want to make sure I've got this right ! ...

Static Ip - fine

Why do i need DNS service ? Wont my ISP just forward requests at our domain to the IP they provide me ?

Connection - your just referring to my regular connection (no other connection needs to be set-up ?) + is a 1mb upload speed really necessary ? - traffic will be limited - only a maximum of 5-10 customers will be using for the first 6-12 months...?

I have a server running 2003 web edition (windows) + db server is running server 2000. when you say connect to the db servers IP - in what sense to you mean? Obviously I am safe to run the web server on the network but what kind of firewall etc should i be running on it + I'm afraid the db server already has fixed IP as we dial in from home.

The web pages will be created in DreamWeaver + the webserver is running coldfusion and this is how i will be connecting to the DB.

Thanks Again !

OK.

Who manages your domain?
    If it's your ISP, then maybe if you ask them they will just modify their dns so it goes to your IP.
    You can any connection you want i suppose. If it's just for your employees, then slow speeds won't matter.

The database is a real server yes (not a virtual one)- it's a physical machine yes? And it's connected to the network, so it must have an IP address.

What you may want to do is setup the webserver/network all on a local scale. So setup your webserver so you can only access it on your local network with it's local ip address (Intranet) and then make the server available to the internet.
    Andrew Thomas

7. Right ok,

Making sense now + yes the db server is a physicalmachine - i was simply checking that when you referred to connecting to its IP this was just a regular network connection and not a different connected used with webservers (I'll emphasize again this is the first i have touched on web hosting or any web technology aside from ftping my site to our ISP.

Well the last thing to ask you really is firewall etc - will it need to be more secure than you average server or will a regular mix of firewall and anti-virus be ok ?

Depends what you are doing.
    If you get rid of the direct link to the database server, and use only the web server to access it, you may not even need a firewall.

As long as you keep it up to date with patches.

However, may be best to get a firewall. I have no experience really in firewalls for windows server, so best ask someone else.
    Andrew Thomas