Thread: overselling!

overselling!

just wana know if any one sales hosting without overselling. and normally wht do u think that how much overselling is genuine

My point so far is that overselling is not necessarily a good thing ,the most bad part of overselling is that it's being abused by hosts who even don't know what they are doing.

I noticed that most "common" customers use around one tenth of their allotted space so, if you're looking to oversell, you shouldn't encounter any major problem. If you decide to go that way, make sure you manage it well, though.

We do not allow overselling, while it can be used responsibly we have found many people to just really abuse it so we do not allow it.

[edit] sorry if I missunderstood you as I just realized I might have, I am not sure if you mean do not allow cleints (resellers) to oversell or oversell themselves..

Hey i've just taken on board a new client who was basically in tears after an "X" rated business he owned was destroyed by overselling i cant give the name of the host he come from but i can give details.

It was a Celeron 1.4ghz Server with 256mb Ram, cPanel+WHM Red Hat Fedora (core 1)

he sent me screenshots...
    Server Load: 99.1
    All Services were either rebooting, crashing or just not working at all. (mostly Exim & Apache)

The owner had 412 clients on this box and he was selling 10gb space packages ONLY !

Just thought it would be a good example of Abusing Overselling Capabilitys.

Personally i'm against it.
    I dont let ANY of my servers exeed 65 Users (75 if we dont have enough revenue to break even with a new server).

99.1 :O holy server load, batman!

We have a strict NO Overselling Policy, and on any of our servers, we will not oversell. We do however, allow our resellers to oversell, as personally i believe it's their choice wether to oversell or not.
    Rob G.
    ShopManager - Sales & Repair Business Management Software

Heh... oversell what exactly?

If you get a server from a datacenter and it comes with 3000GB of data transfer, will you sell all those 3000Gb to your customers? Heck, you could do it, and (in theory) not be overselling your "bandwidth".

And what's a no overselling policy when it comes to server resources in a shared hosting environment?

Overselling is smart business if done properly... or is that overselling is proper business if done smartly?

Anyway (arguably), willingly or unwillingly, all hosts oversell something to some extent.

Originally posted by LSChosting
    99.1 :O holy server load, batman!

We have a strict NO Overselling Policy, and on any of our servers, we will not oversell. We do however, allow our resellers to oversell, as personally i believe it's their choice wether to oversell or not.
    If you let resellers oversell, then you oversell, end of story. No worries though, lots of people do it.

My personal opinion is that if you have users using 10 out of 1000GB of bandwidth, and even a smaller fraction of space, with a server load of about .02 average when your server is "full but not oversold", it's really stupid not to oversell. It's not so much overselling or not overselling that matters, it's overLOADING that causes problems.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Originally posted by ldcdc
    And what's a no overselling policy when it comes to server resources in a shared hosting environment?
    Very good question... when it comes down to it, there is no real way (at least in a shared environment) to completely manage things like server resources (with the exception of storage and transfer) when it comes to fair and even distribution. Personally, so long as a website is able to run correctly, load in a timely manner, and does not affect another website on our server then i consider that to be a fair and even distribution of resources. So long as a host can manage how many sites are kept on a server in regards to RAM and CPU time, then overselling in this manner shouldnt be a problem - at least when managed correctly.
    Originally posted by ldcdc
    Anyway (arguably), willingly or unwillingly, all hosts oversell something to some extent.
    True enough, particularly in regards to what Bohica mentioned.
    Rob G.
    ShopManager - Sales & Repair Business Management Software

It's interesting but it seems hosting is the only industry that overselling like this is allowed. If you were a barber you couldn't oversell.

I am really suprised that something is not done about it. Although what can be done I have no idea.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

Originally posted by MH-Gary
    It's interesting but it seems hosting is the only industry that overselling like this is allowed. If you were a barber you couldn't oversell.

I am really suprised that something is not done about it. Although what can be done I have no idea.
    It's done in most industries. Phone companies oversell, electric companies oversell, airlines oversell, gyms oversell, I can think of loads of them but people don't think that is wrong.

Originally posted by MH-Gary
    Have you never gone into a Barber and had to wait? That is overselling to the point of being oversold and Barber's love it. As long as Clients don't have to wait too long for their turn and start leaving.

Mind you, there is a difference between overselling and oversold.

As already mentioned, most Business Services do it and Utility companies too. I wrote a basic definition awhile ago but still applies today. In the Hosting business the correct terminology is: Allocated method (non-overselling) and Actual Use method (overselling) and no matter which one is used, if the Server(s) are not properly managed there will be problems for everyone.

I'm surprized the TS didn't just use the Search feature? There's definitely enough posts on this topic.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

When I stepped foot into the Hosting Industry (after 3-6 months of researching), I was completely against Overselling. I thought that it would be a headache etc. etc.

But after an year, my view point has changed. I remember that no client of mine never used more than 25% (1/4th) of their resources in the beginning (except one, who used about 35%). As time progressed, the usage got higher, but never got more than 50% (1/2) of the total allocated resources.

It might seem unbelievable to a newbie, but I have never in the past year seen a website using more than 50%-60% of its resources.

A do not oversell like crazy (= overload), I oversell just around 10%-25% of the total resources, and still my server load is very less, the speeds are good, the clients are happy, and so am I.

So, oversell, but not like crazy. Monitor your resource usage patterns and determine how much you can oversell. Use your mind & intution to guide you, and there's no way that you won't succeed.
    Techy Bubble

A Truly Remarkable Web Hosting Is Coming Soon! We won't change the world or anything. We will just make it better....

That's what I noticed from my short stay in the Hosting industry. Most of my clients don't use more than 20-30% of their allocation but there are several of them who fully utilized their diskspace and bandwidth but it's usually the big websites that do that.

Try to stay under your plan's bandwidth limit. It's always good to play it safe.

The most bad think I guess is that the seller would like to lock in customers as early as possible to get the benefit from reduced competition in market.

It's fine to oversell disk space as long as you can add another HD to satisfy all of the sold space when needed. When you sell to a point where you can't add anymore actual space, then I consider that overselling. With bandwidth, it's really had to oversell. If you have a server with 1000GB bandwidth included, is selling 1100GB overselling? No, you can always pay for bandwidth over your limit. Once the bandwidth reaches a point to where your port or hardware cannot physically handle that, and you've sold above that, that's overselling. As I said, it's hard to do that. One of the most important things is that CPU power though... lots of hosts have slow servers because they cram too many sites on a server.