Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Spot Checks....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,033

    Angry Spot Checks....

    I can not believe this. About 2 or 3 days ago I was watching the news, and I was shocked to hear that cops can do spot checks on any car/truck they want. That they do not need a reason to pull you over. They will check your information to check to make sure everything is ok. Though that does not clear you since they can check your car if they "suspect" anything at all.

    I find this very shocking, and not really a good idea. What next they going to get a right to check your house when they want?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,468
    I think they can pull you over for any reason...that's been happening for a long time.

    But I don't think they can search your car unless they found a good reason to do so, is this correct?
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,033
    Originally posted by jasong
    I think they can pull you over for any reason...that's been happening for a long time.

    But I don't think they can search your car unless they found a good reason to do so, is this correct?

    Well from what I understand they could only pull you over if they have a reason to suspect something or if something is wrong (speeding, ect). Though with this "spot check" they can pull you for any reason does not matter if you are doing anything wrong or not.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    6,835
    It's becoming less clear every day exactly what they legally can do under law and what they improvise on the spot as having the authority to do. Due to legislation like the PATRIOT Act and its state additions, the probable cause amendment to our Constitution is becoming less and less important and the security of the nation, as a whole, against terrorism is being prioritized more highly.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Button Moon
    Posts
    491
    if you got nothing to hide then you shouldnt have a problem and yes in england customs and excise can check your house without a warrant
    http://www.goodridgeelec.com
    Electrical Contractors, West Midlands, UK

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,033
    Originally posted by stevey
    if you got nothing to hide then you shouldnt have a problem
    Yeah lets just forget privacy and all! Oh how about we give up all of are rights? How about you allow them to go in your house at any time of the day without you saying so? Or how about they stop you even though you did nothing wrong?

    Yeah just because you got nothing hide does not mean they should have the right to do what they are doing.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Button Moon
    Posts
    491
    it really wouldnt bother me at all if they did pull me over or come check my house, if it meant catching a few more criminals each year, i wouldnt mind, i have nothing to hide or be ashamed of, so long as they dont make a mess or do any damage, and as im selling my house anyway i get lots of people looking round, your welcome to and anyones welcome to come look over my car
    http://www.goodridgeelec.com
    Electrical Contractors, West Midlands, UK

  8. #8
    Originally posted by stevey
    it really wouldnt bother me at all if they did pull me over or come check my house, if it meant catching a few more criminals each year, i wouldnt mind, i have nothing to hide or be ashamed of, so long as they dont make a mess or do any damage, and as im selling my house anyway i get lots of people looking round, your welcome to and anyones welcome to come look over my car
    No offense but people like you scare me. Please read the following and educate yourself:

    "Brave New World" - Aldous Huxley
    "1984" - George Orwell
    "Anthem" - Ayn Rand

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,203
    This gets bad because it's abused. Here's an example. About 6 months or 7 months ago my friend was pulled over for a routine spot check on a highway. The reason he was pulled over, was because he was a white male, teen (17-18) in a place where .. white teens don't go unless they're on drugs (general area, not exactly that road).

    They asked to search his car. If he said no, they would have figured it was probable cause anyway and done it, but he said yes. They pretty much tore his car apart, from the dash to under the floor mats. Then they came up empty, he didn't have anything (duh..). What happened next? They requested to search his trunk (which was locked).

    He said yes, they searched that. Nothing once again. The end result was a wasted hour of his time. The reason I bring this up, is because they have used "spot checks" to pull over about 5 of my friends from this "same area" for this, and ended up checking all of the cars.

    Why do I bring this up? Ladies and gentlemen, this was their way home from school. They went this way, every single day. Heck, I even went that way sometimes. They couldn't get a reason to pull them over otherwise, so they just pull people over and hope to get lucky. Hey maybe that kid has some drugs on him, or has done something else.

    By the way, Brave New World was a good book
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

  10. #10
    It's been a usual thing for many years in CIS countries. Don't know how is it now, but earlier people got surprised if stopped for a check and they preferred to fine you (if they found something wrong with your car) instead of being bribed. I know a lot of people had some banknote attached to their driving license for such case.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    34,796
    I don't see a problem with it as they don't often "advertise" they are going to be spot checking in certain areas, so as not to alert those they are looking for. Just smile and let them do their duty
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,262
    Originally posted by RefreshNet
    This gets bad because it's abused. Here's an example. About 6 months or 7 months ago my friend was pulled over for a routine spot check on a highway. The reason he was pulled over, was because he was a white male, teen (17-18) in a place where .. white teens don't go unless they're on drugs (general area, not exactly that road).

    They asked to search his car. If he said no, they would have figured it was probable cause anyway and done it, but he said yes. They pretty much tore his car apart, from the dash to under the floor mats. Then they came up empty, he didn't have anything (duh..). What happened next? They requested to search his trunk (which was locked).

    He said yes, they searched that. Nothing once again. The end result was a wasted hour of his time. The reason I bring this up, is because they have used "spot checks" to pull over about 5 of my friends from this "same area" for this, and ended up checking all of the cars.

    Why do I bring this up? Ladies and gentlemen, this was their way home from school. They went this way, every single day. Heck, I even went that way sometimes. They couldn't get a reason to pull them over otherwise, so they just pull people over and hope to get lucky. Hey maybe that kid has some drugs on him, or has done something else.

    By the way, Brave New World was a good book
    And why do you think they pulled them over? Just because they had nothing else to do and wanted to just bully some teenager? Or try to get "lucky" and find some drugs? I think not. Either they have previous history of teenagers matching your friends description purchasing narcotics in that area and using the "I was on my way home from school officer" excuse, or your friends start acting real suspicous when they see a squad car.

    I have no reason with them pulling me over and searching my car, my home, well that's a different story. They are more than welcomed to enter my home and have a drink with me, but unless a warrant is provided, then no searching. I have nothing illegal to hide in my home, but my home is my safehouse, my sanctuary, and I just don't want anyone searching it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Button Moon
    Posts
    491
    ok, put it this way, an avarage looking person is driving along, he is driving safely within the speed limit but he is carrying a bomb in his boot (trunk) and his on his way to your kids school to detonate it. The police have no reason to pull him over and they are not aloud to do spot checks so he drives on and kills loads of children, thats how you all would like it, personally i would rather have the cops pull him over and do a spot check and find out that he is carrying a bomb, same could be with a gun, knife, drugs. yes it is sad that cus of a few people we have to give a few mins of our time while being searched, but i think its more than worth it if it makes the world just a little bit safer
    http://www.goodridgeelec.com
    Electrical Contractors, West Midlands, UK

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,852
    Originally posted by RossH
    No offense but people like you scare me. Please read the following and educate yourself:

    "Brave New World" - Aldous Huxley
    "1984" - George Orwell
    "Anthem" - Ayn Rand

    How about reading the following:

    par·a·noi·a
    Extreme, irrational distrust of others.


    You guys are always talking about patriotism. Why not walk the walk like you talk the talk.
    If you are doing nothing wrong then you should gladly allow these kinds of searches. Chances are it's not going to happen to you unless you draw suspicion but by allowing these searches many criminals are being caught thereby making communities safer and consequently the country safer.

    Freedom has a price. Some people are giving their lives to defend it and some of you people whine about subjecting your car to a search?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,033
    Though what about the people who never agree with the Patriot Act or how the government is doing scare factors within the American people? I just feel a police man should not just pull you over for no reason at all. Though I do see your point in trying to make it safer for the country, but no matter how hard the police will try the criminals will get one step ahead of them.


    Originally posted by blue27
    How about reading the following:

    par·a·noi·a
    Extreme, irrational distrust of others.


    You guys are always talking about patriotism. Why not walk the walk like you talk the talk.
    If you are doing nothing wrong then you should gladly allow these kinds of searches. Chances are it's not going to happen to you unless you draw suspicion but by allowing these searches many criminals are being caught thereby making communities safer and consequently the country safer.

    Freedom has a price. Some people are giving their lives to defend it and some of you people whine about subjecting your car to a search?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    1,671
    It's a common practice in Europe for example. Usually it's just for checking your license and registration, whether you have the first aid kit, your head and rear lights are functioning properly and so on. It's just a routine check. Mostly for traffic safety.

    Of course if they have reason to believe that you have substances in your car or anyother reasonable reason, which can be easily seen, sure, they will search your car. It's fine with me. If your car is functioning properly, your license and registrations are in order you have nothing to fear about your privacy.

    It's not an abuse, it's their duty.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,991
    Friend of mine was pulled over once for a spot check. Was late for class, and failed the test that day. Teacher didn't allow late students on test days.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    4,376
    These spot checks are "officially" for a valid purpose. IE: checking for drunk-drivers or checking for seat belt use. Once they have pulled you over they use their instincts and questioning to determine if there is anything suspicous going on.

    I am amazed at how stupid criminals are (just watch COPS). They are always getting pulled over for minor infractions like speeding, not coming to a complete stop or having a broken tail light. If you had an outstanding warrant wouldn't you be more careful not to draw attention to yourself? My neighbour was driving without a license and was always getting caught. Somehow he always managed to do something stupid to draw police attention.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,305
    Originally posted by stevey
    ok, put it this way, an avarage looking person is driving along, he is driving safely within the speed limit but he is carrying a bomb in his boot (trunk) and his on his way to your kids school to detonate it. The police have no reason to pull him over and they are not aloud to do spot checks so he drives on and kills loads of children, thats how you all would like it, personally i would rather have the cops pull him over and do a spot check and find out that he is carrying a bomb, same could be with a gun, knife, drugs. yes it is sad that cus of a few people we have to give a few mins of our time while being searched, but i think its more than worth it if it makes the world just a little bit safer
    An average person would not be planning to kill so many kids.

    Also, unless they have good reason to suspect this guy would never be randomly spot-checked.

    Also, for the randomly bullying teenagers, I've seen it happen, it's just random, the way it works is that they want to get them for verbal assault by pissing them off. I have a good friend who's been a policeman for over twelve years, if you have any more questions on this subject matter let me know.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    6,835
    Originally posted by stevey
    if you got nothing to hide then you shouldnt have a problem and yes in england customs and excise can check your house without a warrant
    You don't have anything to hide until they tell you that you have something to hide.

    Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    I don't see a problem with it as they don't often "advertise" they are going to be spot checking in certain areas, so as not to alert those they are looking for. Just smile and let them do their duty
    Is it their duty to supposedly "randomly" pick out and stop people, search their cars, and try to pin them for crimes? Cops are supposed to protect and serve; how are they doing so by stopping innocent people and attempting to get them for a crime? If you don't see anything fundamentally wrong with this picture, perhaps you ought to acquaint yourself with the policies of a Fascist police state.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob83
    Either they have previous history of teenagers matching your friends description purchasing narcotics in that area and using the "I was on my way home from school officer" excuse, or your friends start acting real suspicous when they see a squad car.
    Oh, so now you're proposing that they racially profile people, because they can't catch and pin people in spot checks otherwise? How novel.

    Quote Originally Posted by stevey
    ok, put it this way, an avarage looking person is driving along, he is driving safely within the speed limit but he is carrying a bomb in his boot (trunk) and his on his way to your kids school to detonate it. The police have no reason to pull him over and they are not aloud to do spot checks so he drives on and kills loads of children, thats how you all would like it, personally i would rather have the cops pull him over and do a spot check and find out that he is carrying a bomb, same could be with a gun, knife, drugs. yes it is sad that cus of a few people we have to give a few mins of our time while being searched, but i think its more than worth it if it makes the world just a little bit safer
    And, uh, just curious, but just how many times has this happened in Britain? Zero? One? Two, even? Why inconvenience so many drivers to possibly catch maybe 0.0000000001% of the population? And, even then, who's to say they'd actually catch the bomber? After all, these spot checks are supposedly random.

    Quote Originally Posted by blue27
    You guys are always talking about patriotism. Why not walk the walk like you talk the talk.
    Patriotism is meaningless if you don't speak out against the policies of your country that you happen to disagree with and that also happen to violate key amendments of the Constitution. Do you call this patriotism? Thomas Jefferson, et al., would be rolling in their graves.

    Quote Originally Posted by blue27
    If you are doing nothing wrong then you should gladly allow these kinds of searches. Chances are it's not going to happen to you unless you draw suspicion but by allowing these searches many criminals are being caught thereby making communities safer and consequently the country safer.
    Prove to me that spot checks make communities and, consequently, the country safer in any way. Have there been studies that say so? I mean, what percentage of those that go through spot check areas are violent criminals that would possibly make communities less safe? Additionally, what percentage of these violent criminals would actually be stopped, searched, and apprehended? Are all of them so stupid so that you can make the generalization that they'd all be caught at spot checks?

  21. #21
    Originally posted by blue27
    How about reading the following:

    par·a·noi·a
    Extreme, irrational distrust of others.


    You guys are always talking about patriotism. Why not walk the walk like you talk the talk.
    If you are doing nothing wrong then you should gladly allow these kinds of searches. Chances are it's not going to happen to you unless you draw suspicion but by allowing these searches many criminals are being caught thereby making communities safer and consequently the country safer.

    Freedom has a price. Some people are giving their lives to defend it and some of you people whine about subjecting your car to a search?
    Being patriotic does not mean letting government stomp all over your freedoms.

    "Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
    Benjamin Franklin

    As you must remember every little bit of power you give government they will use to get more and abuse it more. The next logical move from random car checks is random house checks. If you have ever read your history this would be against the entire foundation our founding fathers built this country on and we should just throw the constitution in the garbage if this happeneds. We will have become more communist in thought then the actual communist in Russia are.

    "If your not doing anything wrong you shouldn't have to worry about it"

    Unless your black or muslim. Police seem to take special notice in these colored and religious heathens.

    First they came for the Jews
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for the Communists
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Communist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a trade unionist.
    Then they came for me
    and there was no one left
    to speak out for me.

    Pastor Martin Niemöller

    Freedom does have a price; yes many men and women are fighting for the ideals that our founding father created this country with, if we let government crush these ideals then what truly are these people fighting for besides each other?
    Last edited by RossH; 06-06-2005 at 02:08 PM.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    6,835
    Originally posted by RossH
    As you must remember every little bit of power you give government they will use to get more and abuse it more. The next logical move from random car checks is random house checks. If you have ever read your history this would be against the entire foundation our founding fathers built this country on and we mine as well just throw the constitution in the garbage. We will have become more communist in thought then the actual communist in Russia are.
    Just to clear this up, random house checks and the furthering of an agenda of higher government authority would represent more the policies of a Fascist police state than a Communist state, although, ironically enough, Stalin did have many dictatorial policies that could be construed as "Fascist".

  23. #23
    Originally posted by SniperDevil
    Just to clear this up, random house checks and the furthering of an agenda of higher government authority would represent more the policies of a Fascist police state than a Communist state, although, ironically enough, Stalin did have many dictatorial policies that could be construed as "Fascist".
    That would be up for debate.....

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,852
    I love how you guys always quote the founding fathers when you are trying to make a point.
    How do you think the founding fathers would feel about secret prisons and torturing prisoners?
    How do you think they would feel about hundreds of "detainees" held in Guantanamo held for years with no charges and no trial.

    Why aren't you out there fighting for them?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    6,835
    Originally posted by RossH
    That would be up for debate.....
    Um, what would be up for debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by blue27
    I love how you guys always quote the founding fathers when you are trying to make a point.
    How do you think the founding fathers would feel about secret prisons and torturing prisoners?
    How do you think they would feel about hundreds of "detainees" held in Guantanamo held for years with no charges and no trial.

    Why aren't you out there fighting for them?
    I think that's rather immaterial to this discussion, but, to answer your question, yes, they most likely would object highly to some of our policies.

  26. #26
    Originally posted by blue27
    I love how you guys always quote the founding fathers when you are trying to make a point.
    How do you think the founding fathers would feel about secret prisons and torturing prisoners?
    How do you think they would feel about hundreds of "detainees" held in Guantanamo held for years with no charges and no trial.

    Why aren't you out there fighting for them?
    Who says I'm not and who says I'm not against it. If I am against the war then I gurantee you I am against the prisons

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •