Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Current Prices for a 100Mbps commintment?

Hello guys,

It has been a while since I have posted on the forums. I was wondering if anyone would care to mention what current prices are going for for a 100Mbps commitment directly from the nations big bandwidth providers? I am talking direct commitments with the actual network providers, not through resellers or the alike.

If you could mention prices for gig-es that would be great to.

I am just trying to get an idea of price range for the providers righrt now. I have heard that over the past year bandwidth prices have dropped even more?

Thank you,
    Kyle

Direct Bandwidth

Level 3 direct is coming in around $38/Mbps for 100Mbps over GIG e plus a port fee.

Savvis around $35 for 100Mbps direct.
    sales@ipv4depot.com
    www.ipv4depot.com
    IPv4 Buying, Selling, and Leasing

That's about same pricing range as Mzima too.

You can save some good money on <=100Mbps by going through a reseller who has a much higher commit.
    bye

Originally posted by amps
    You can save some good money on <=100Mbps by going through a reseller who has a much higher commit.
    Make sure the reseller doesnt oversell!

Stuart
    | BlueWave Communications Ltd - The Island's Communications Provider
    | URL: http://www.bwc.im/ AS: 201898
    | Jersey | Guernsey | Isle of Man

A true wholesale bandwidth reseller sells direct dedicated ports from the carrier, so this is never an issue. Its always one port for one company. However, after someone buys that port it is their business on how they want to use or resell the bandwidth on that port. So, you only have to be aware of overselling if your buying from a reseller of a reseller.

For instance, we sell a dedicated L(3) port to (Acme Datacenter) they they in turn sell bandwidth to all their colo, hosting, and dedicated server customers along with additional services. The only person who can oversell in this example is Acme Datacenter.

Originally posted by BlueWave
    Make sure the reseller doesnt oversell!

Stuart
    sales@ipv4depot.com
    www.ipv4depot.com

That might not always be the case unless a reseller is giving a low margin deal to win your business, most providers offer a very good rate or discount at the 100mbit commit when you go direct.

Take Mzima for example, know anyone willing to offer a 100mbit at $10mbit less than direct that's not oversold? Probably not.

Most resellers offer direct connections to the Carrier. For example, if you want Level3 bandwidth, the reseller that has a large aggregate deal with Level 3 will sell you a port that is direct connected to Level3s router.

Some are putting their own router between the carrier and you -- that is the only time the bandwidth can be oversold.

Vendors that have large wholesale contracts, or are reselling bandwidth, with carriers purchase several gbps and resell it in chunks. They can often sell at a lower cost then going direct as they have purchased wholesale, have lower overheads, and often are more selective about who they sell to

Just make sure there's a guarantee in the contract that you are given the full 100mbps of capacity, all the time.

We have our own router between our transit providers and the client port, but we also guarantee that the capacity is available 27/7/365.

And it's also possible to oversell even without a router in between... all you need is a layer 2 switch.
    bye

Just make sure there's a guarantee in the contract that you are given the full 100mbps of capacity, all the time.

We have our own router between our transit providers and the client port, but we also guarantee that the capacity is available 27/7/365.

And it's also possible to oversell even without a router in between... all you need is a layer 2 switch.
    Neither of these cases provides the same level of support and comfort as having a direct carrier port, regardless of whether or not the contract is with the carrier itself or a reseller.

In the case of an intermediate router, you don't have a BGP session to the carrier. This impacts traffic patterns (as-path length) and possibly what BGP community features are available to you.

In the case of a switch, the reseller needs signifigant cooperation from the carrier to provision their customers (BGP sessions, IP addressing.)

Neither of these necessarily guarantee bandwidth availability. amps, do you have a QoS configuration in place to ensure that your customers' committed traffic is prioritized above burst traffic, an allotment for nominal bursting, etc. or are you just betting against the possibility of congestion? My guess is the latter. While that's a good bet most of the time, it absolutely does not provide a guarantee.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

Originally posted by jsw6
    Neither of these necessarily guarantee bandwidth availability. amps, do you have a QoS configuration in place to ensure that your customers' committed traffic is prioritized above burst traffic, an allotment for nominal bursting, etc. or are you just betting against the possibility of congestion? My guess is the latter. While that's a good bet most of the time, it absolutely does not provide a guarantee.
    Regardless of network topology and uneducated guessing, which is besides my original point and this thread...

When we sell a 100Mbit port, our TOS will guarantee against congestion. Although a TOS does not prevent it (much like a 100% SLA can never be met), it's better to have it in writing... the only point I was trying to get across.

If you buy a 100mbps port and intend to really use it all, put it on the TOS / SLA.
    bye

Cogent still offer 100Mbits for $1000 /month I believe. Also as I said above some resellers do oversell there bandwidth so make sure the one you choose doesn't! The thread starter did however say they were not after a reseller.

Stuart
    | BlueWave Communications Ltd - The Island's Communications Provider
    | URL: http://www.bwc.im/ AS: 201898
    | Jersey | Guernsey | Isle of Man

Not more than a couple months ago a sales rep for cogent offered 100Mbit on FastE to me for $1500/mo plus $1500 setup for downtown LA (either One Wilshire or Equinix). Needless to say I declined even w/t a waived setup, rather stick with a premium provider and work on increasing that commit for a lower rate than bother with cogent at $15Mbit.

Plus their quoted pricing at lower commits was so high there's no reason to use them vs. staying with Mzima, L(3), etc.

Maybe the rep wanted a nice commission for the month.

I would recomand keeping a tight eye on advertisement forum, many companies & resellers have their mixed/multihomed bandwdith (non-cogent) on discount sometimes for around $2500/month - 100mbps/20Amp/Full-Cabinet. In last 6 months, I have seens offers like this from CRNC, Peer1NYC and i think one or two others. You may not be able to secure same deal, but definately something very good.

Is there any other non-Cogent provider that can offer lower than $20/Mbps for 200 Mbps month-to-month commit on Gig-E line? I'm particularly looking for one that has presence in Equinix Ashburn, VA.

There's always a risk with going thru a reseller. them having problem at any point of a 1 year contract would wipe all your saving for going to them...
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Originally posted by blueface
    Is there any other non-Cogent provider that can offer lower than $20/Mbps for 200 Mbps month-to-month commit on Gig-E line? I'm particularly looking for one that has presence in Equinix Ashburn, VA.
    There are several tier-2 providers at Ashburn that have decent bandwidth below $20/mbps for 200 mbps commit.

Re: Direct Bandwidth

Originally posted by mams482
    Level 3 direct is coming in around $38/Mbps for 100Mbps over GIG e plus a port fee.

Savvis around $35 for 100Mbps direct.
    Marcus, How does that compare with pricing from Jan/Feb of this year. Have Savvis and LVLT prices stabilized compared to the 2nd half of last year or are they still falling?

Rob

Re: Re: Direct Bandwidth

For Level (3) the prices started to stablize at the beginning of the year and actually had a little bump up in price.

Savvis is a fairly new carrier for us so I don't know where they are compared to last year.

Originally posted by powellrw
    Marcus, How does that compare with pricing from Jan/Feb of this year. Have Savvis and LVLT prices stabilized compared to the 2nd half of last year or are they still falling?

Rob
    sales@ipv4depot.com
    www.ipv4depot.com

Hello,

Isn't savvis the old Cable and Wirless network, and the old savvis network combined? Weren't they classified by many as the best backbone in the USA? If so, why is pricing so low?

Thank you,
    Kyle

yes they purchased the old C&W network in the US. I think there pricing is around the middle of the pack, not really on the cheap end. But it is cheaper than some of the other top providers, compared to L3, MCI, etc..

You may see some extra discounted prices floating around from some bulk resellers that have 2-3 GIG commits.
    sales@ipv4depot.com
    www.ipv4depot.com

Re: Re: Re: Direct Bandwidth

Originally posted by mams482
    For Level (3) the prices started to stablize at the beginning of the year and actually had a little bump up in price.
    They raised prices? Wow, that's something that hasn't happened for a while. Has any other large backbone done that lately? Has it hurt sales of Level3 bandwidth at all?

Rob

Most importantly, you should be concerned with the financial stability of the reseller, especially since they are the one responsible for paying for your service to the carrier. I know WHT has seen many bandwidth resellers come and go, and I suggest you do proper due diligence (references, credit report, etc.) before placing yourself in such a vulnerable position. The price may be attractive, but when their service is terminated for non-payment, you will be the one suffering.
    Justin Biegel
    InvisibleHand Networks
    212-400-7416 x606
    justin@invisiblehand.net

Justin,

That is a great point, You do have some of these resellers selling a dollar or so above cost with no other streams of revenue, Very shakey ground in some cases. I have heard some horror stories of shady resellers taking the money and running away from the carriers bills.

You do not have to worry if you buy from a financial stable company with a good track record. You may pay a dollar or two more per Mbps over a less stable operation, but you still get a large benefit in lower rates and flexibility than going carrier direct.

Its more than worth it for the assurance your circuit is not going to be shut down for a non-payment.

Originally posted by IHNjustin
    Most importantly, you should be concerned with the financial stability of the reseller, especially since they are the one responsible for paying for your service to the carrier. I know WHT has seen many bandwidth resellers come and go, and I suggest you do proper due diligence (references, credit report, etc.) before placing yourself in such a vulnerable position. The price may be attractive, but when their service is terminated for non-payment, you will be the one suffering.
    sales@ipv4depot.com
    www.ipv4depot.com

he.net quoted us $2500 for 100mbit/20a/full cabinet...
    laslo.ca
    Quality Canadian Web Hosting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast