A couple hosts I can't decide between.

Hi everyone,

Today I cancelled my account with surfspeedy.com. I really don't have the time right now to use it and I'm just wasting money.

In a couple of months I will want another webhost for my blog. I had no problems with surfspeedy but I'm interested in my other options.

I signed up with surfspeedy when they offered the $1 for 3 months promotion. Then it became $6.95 a month. For the same plan, it is now $4.95, which is a small difference but its still cheaper.

So I'm going to consider signing up for surfspeedy again and pay for it just for the $4.95 a month.

This price seems really hard to believe though. For only $4.95 a month you get 2000 Disk Space, Unmetered Data Transfer, Unlimited POP3 Email accounts, Unlimited Subdomain, Unlimited MySQL Databases and more. The Unmetered Data Transfer sounds iffy but if you read their Terms of Service, it states that as long as 90% of your site is visible to the public and nothing illegal is on your account you get unlimited Data Transfer.

This still seems too good to be true though.

The next host I was loooking at is ASmallOrange. I have heard many great things about this hosting company. The main problem with them is that they don't really give you much stuff. For $5.00 a month you only get 400MB of space and 10GB data transfer. Thats practiactly nothing compared to the other host. But from what I read they are still soposed to be great.

Then I found BlueHost. This company looks very professional and for only $6.95 a month you get 4 GB of space and 100 GB data transfer. Other than that, I really dislike that they limit you on subdomains and things like that. ASmallOrange and Surfspeedy don't.

So I'm not really sure what to do when I am ready for my next webhost. I only plan to host a blog and maybe a future portfolio. I really like having atleast 1Gb of space and all of those 3 offer that atleast.

Any suggestions on which to go with or is there an even better host out there??

Sorry for such a long post..

Surfspeedy.. I use them aswell for my site sikol [dot] net

Unbelievable 2 GB for $1 for 3 Months from then on its around like $4 for that much.

I would recommend switching hosts. There downtime is CRAZY! In the beginning my site would be down probably twice everyday. After, now it goes down once a week.

I also believe they oversell space and bandwith. It's insane to make it that cheap! I dont believe surfspeedy is at all a good hosting company overall but that is just me.

I would recommend switching to refreshnetworks [dot] com (Expensive but Reliable) I am a customer of them and I am very satisified.

Contact them and tell Rob I say hi

I personally have heard good things about Asmallorange. No personal experience, I suggest you check the threads here.

Other than that company, I could recommend some I am using myself; Micfo... or Site5... or DreamHost.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

The reason that ASmallOrange offers so much less than those other 2 hosts you mentioned is because the 2 others must be doing some heavy overselling. There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth, and that is a really bad business practice. 4GB of space and 100GB of bandwidth for just $6.95 a month is just ridiculous. Of the 3 that you mentioned, I'd say go with ASmallOrange.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

I have no personal experience with any of the three but I think it is fair to say that surfspeedy's offering is a bit "much" for $4.95/mo. Doesn't mean they won't honor it within the TOS but you will probably pay for it in other ways. It's kind of a rule of thumb that when you pay rock bottom for lots of space and bandwidth that they oversell the servers and performance and service tend to suffer.

I wouldn't say that 400MB is the most you should expect for about $5/month but it's pretty close as S.W.A.G.'s go.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

I really appericate all of your help! I'm really leaning toward ASmallOrange now. All the stuff the other compaines offer looks great, but like you all have said its what you pay for. I really want a reliable host more then some extra added stuff but a lot of downtime.

Thanks!

I really want a reliable host more then some extra added stuff but a lot of downtime.
    Especially if chances are you won't be using that "added stuff" anyway. When it comes to hosting it's generally better to use your budget to buy what you need as opposed to the most you can get within your budget.

Cheers!

Most host offers that seem too good to be true, probably are. They are offering a lot for the money which sacrifices the server performance.

--GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by elix
    Most host offers that seem too good to be true, probably are. They are offering a lot for the money which sacrifices the server performance.

--GSV
    Pretty much covered it all. Most of the time, the price is right. But if you want the quality, you have to kick in a few extra bucks.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

Originally posted by DevilDog
    I have no personal experience with any of the three but I think it is fair to say that surfspeedy's offering is a bit "much" for $4.95/mo. Doesn't mean they won't honor it within the TOS but you will probably pay for it in other ways. It's kind of a rule of thumb that when you pay rock bottom for lots of space and bandwidth that they oversell the servers and performance and service tend to suffer.

The economics must be that a lot is offered but most customers will use little of what is available. Easy billing system for the company, low cost for the customer with no worries about having to pay more if the quota is exceeded. Not a sensible bet for customers who know they will be maxing out. If all their customers used even half of the amount offered then the company would make losses & they would have to choke customers.

Companies with a lot of graduated offers will mainly attract customers who will use all the space/bandwidth offered & will have to be much more expensive. A better bet for businesses that rely on the web & customers who know exactly what level of usage they are likely to have.

I have used Dreamhost for two sites and I'm pretty happy with them. I find their interface little cumbersome, but on the whole their e-mail technical support has been excellent. There have been a couple of extended downtimes while I've been with them (one was 90 minutes) when they've made changes to the servers.

I was going to go with BlueHost at first because they have auto install of WordPress (so does Dreamhost) but the BlueHost TOS was too restrictive. So check the TOS before you go with them. DreamHost is much more liberal in what they'll allow.

so, when you were with surfspeedy did you USE the unlimited everything? - of course not!

Buy what you need at the price you can afford, steer clear of anyone who offers unlimited B/W or Data because the host cannot supply either. Any host who claims unlimited B/W or Data is a liar - simple as that.

Oh, if you do find someone who has unlimited data, please ask where i can buy unlimited bandwith network cards from, I'll install them in my server!
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Originally posted by RRWH

Buy what you need at the price you can afford, steer clear of anyone who offers unlimited B/W or Data because the host cannot supply either. Any host who claims unlimited B/W or Data is a liar - simple as that.
    It's wrong to say they are liars, they are just offering a particular business model with no fear of excess charges.

For customers who don't know exactly what they are looking for or who don't know how much storage or bandwidth they will need, these hosting plans may be very suitable.

But you still won't get something for nothing - the plans do rely on most customers not using most of what is available to them.

the plans do rely on most customers not using most of what is available to them.
    The plans rely on metering usage (if not bandwidth and/or data transfer, server resources are certainly measured) and limiting those customers who prove to be a liability.