What should I be looking for? (specs included)

I found my previous hosts through WHT, so I figured I would check here to see what people think about the following situation. I posted this same message on one of my current hosts (fluidhosting.com) to see what they would say as well. Here goes...

I have a need of Apache hosting with SSH access.

Here is the situation: I am looking to host a statistics site for an online fantasy soccer game (www.hattrick.org). The statistics site is for US teams only (Hattrick is played by 500,000 users in many countries) and can currently be seen at http://usa.hatstats.info. Because it is running slow I asked the developers of that site what would be needed to host the USA stats on a different server. Here are the requirements (copy/paste from an email I received from him), my comments in italics:

Database - is MySQL and is currently 400MB in size (uses alot of indexes, but they will be optimised at some stage). If you want to expand to Div 6 then it will get very big. (Note I will probably want to do this.)

Diskspace - Database size + 200MB minimum (match cache and logs)

Memory - more the better, at least 500MB

Apache, perl, php

Past usage can be seen here:
    http://www.hatstats.info/usage2/usa/
    I want this site to be reliable, even though the bandwidth constraints are not that high.

What would you recommend? Currently I only use webspace for school projects so my bandwidth needs are very small. However, that being said I want a host that is reliable so that when I deliver my school projects I know the site will be up and running.

Thanks,
    Brian Malek

You could try one of those new Site5 packages.
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting Managed Dedicated Servers SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 www.webair.com 24/7/365 Support Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

How many unique visitors does the site receive daily? How many visitors are on-line at a time on the website?

Those questions would determine whether you need shared hosting, or you should go with VPS/Dedicated server.

The only stats I know of are the ones from the link provided. Here are some of the details that I can see (for April 2005):
    HIts / hr : 45 Average, 380 Max
    Hits / day : 1082 Average, 2712 Max
    Files / day : 950 Average, 2111 Max
    Visits / day : 357 Average, 1092 Max
    KBytes / day : 24529 Average, 55822 Max

Total Hits : 32462
    Total Files : 28529
    Total Visits : 10737
    Total KBytes : 735881

This seems to be close to average (maybe a little under).

As a hattrick player of probably 2 years I'd like to note that his server will only have major load 2 days a week. When cup/friendly mataches and league/qualifiers are played. Other than that it'll be doing barely anything.

Oh and since a lot of people want a division 6 page the hit's will probably go up at least a notable amount seeing is it goes up by a factor of 2 in teams for each division?
    Last edited by cywkevin; 06-05-2005 at 06:26 PM.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

That is true, thanks for posting that. However, for the US because there are few teams that are active in division 6 the bandwidth is not going to be that much higher. The database size will grow by tons though.

I don't think you stated it and it doesn't seem like anyone asked you, but what is your budget for this project as it will greatly affect your choices.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Budget depends. I have two hosts currently, but I will most likely get rid of my current Unix host and move to a new host that can provide me the service I need for this website. The current Unix host I have is OK, but not as reliable as I would like for this site, plus it does not offer SSH. They cost around $13 / month IIRC. Price is not a huge obstacle because I would move hosts, but I was hoping to avoid a dedicated server type of situation as they can be very expensive!

Edit: Added price of current host.
    Last edited by bmalek; 06-05-2005 at 07:04 PM.

Well, many hosts might suit you... I was thinking of one I use myself: Micfo. (Site5 already suggested)
    Micfo has e-commerce features on all accounts.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

I am waiting to get a reply from the owner of the site about the number of db queries. Sunday nights I am pretty sure the amounts would be in the thousands, however only once or twice per 16 weeks would the updates on Wednesday be as large. This is going to strain the CPU and memory usage, but I don't know how badly.

I am going to send out more precise specs to the recommended hosts once I get them all and see what they can offer. I appreciate all the replies so far =)