Thread: SSH Security

SSH Security

I am the sole administrator of a dedicated server. I wish to improve security by using a script that enables, disables ssh and lmit the max ssh sessions to 2 (in case I drop).

Does anyone have insight on how to do this?

You can disable ssh access in sshd_config with DenyUsers parameter.
    Rotmax - Advanced Hosting Solutions
    | Providing premium hosting since 2001.
    | http://www.rotmax.com
    | Follow us on Facebook: Rotmax-Facebook

You can also change the default port.
    It will prevent the script kiddies from playing with your ssh access.

and use AllowUsers or AllowGroups.

The best way to improve security is to has NX bit technology. Previous versions of OpenSSL has buffer overflows that allowed hackers to take over the machines. NX bit can stop all these things...

wm2100:

uh, so how will that help if you use a username/password og say... god/god and a root pass like... god? If you think that chip is the be all and end all of security please let me know who you work for so I never do business with them.

Centrilo;

rather than convoluted scripting why not disable passwords, set up keys, and if you really feel the need change ports?

On DMZ boxes where a firewall cannot restrict port 22, we have used allowusers and only permit ssh key access. We've a couple of boxes where script kiddies scan for days using brute force ssh attacks against users that even if they existed could not login via ssh or login via password.

We save you time, money, and frustration by handling the server management tasks required to run an online business successfully.
    No prodding required. We just do it right the first time. Red Hat, MySQL, Plesk, and cPanel certified staff.