Question Is ssh important to end users?

Hello all,

I've been reading everything in this great forum for the last week to gain more knowledge about this business and to help me choose a host. One of the features of a host I definitely want is end user support. I have a software background, but I think this will still very helpful to a newbie like me. Requiring end user support does greatly limit the choice of hosts. With the hosts that are left, it seemed for me that jodohost would be best for me. In addition to end user support, they also offer both Windows and Linux platforms, good choice of databases, unlimited Cold Fusion users, and good reviews on this forum.

However, the one thing that they do not offer is ssh (except for VPS). As a software engineer (and a Linux guy), I personally couldn't imagine doing any kind of work on a remote host without access to ssh. But again that is just me. I know that a client can open a ticket with jodohost to have ssh tasks done for them, but this seems a little inconvenient for the client. I wanted to ask all you currently in the reselling business if this a serious limitation. Do end users frown on not having this capability (ssh), or do most not really care? If this is really a negative, I may look at other hosts with end user support as well as ssh such as HostingZoom instead.

Thanks for all the help.

It really depends on the skill and level of competency of the customer. If the customer has design skills mostly they will not balk at not having SSH. If they do ANY kind of programming it's a requirement of theirs.

Overall if you're close to your customer (Work with them) you can have policies for both types. Temporary shell after small background check, permanent shell if you trust em', no shell or limited shell that you monitor and eventually disable.

It really depends on how closely you want to be to your customers and how tight you want to run your servers on how long, how many, and at what level they are given SSH access.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for the reply.

If my host does not offer ssh, then neither can I as a reseller offer ssh to my clients. That is my understanding. Is that correct?

That is correct. The reseller (Under Cpanel) either has the ability to create accounts with SSH access, or the ability to create accounts with SSH access AND packages that offer SSH access.

I'm assuming that those that don't offer SSH either don't intend to monitor the servers to the point of wanting to take the risk, or they just don't want the headache. We are small enough that we take each customer on a case by case basis but then that's at issue here. How much is the host willing to take a chance on you giving you ssh access.

Since 2001 the majority of exploits come from worm attacks on outdated PHP scripts using a weak /tmp /var/tmp directory. If monitored even those exploits really don't go anywhere.

It is so easy to do damage without SSH access that its an apples and oarnges thing. If they can do just as much damage without SSH then it comes down to the diligence you show to monitoring the services.
    dotGig

As you said, if ssh is monitored properly it shouldn't be an issue to a reseller. I guess some resellers still don't want to take a risk. There may also be a privacy issue. However, as you said, anyone doing any type of programming will need ssh, so I'm inclined to go back and reevaluate resellers that offer both end user support and ssh.

Thanks for the help.

Not a problem, I hope you find what you're looking for, there's nothing better than SSH for managing large databases. In fact it's about the only way in Linux efficiently.
    dotGig

Yes, I agree. That is why I was a little surprised when I saw that Jodohost offered great databases (Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL, PgSQL) but no ssh support.

Hrm, odd, like buying a ferrari with a volkswagen engine.
    dotGig

There is nothing that can be done with SSH that you won't be able to achieve on our servers with our support and our control panel. We have many many linux customers that are developers and designers that are hosting popular sites without requiring any SSH access at all.

The reason we do not allow SSH access is not because we do not monitor our servers, that's ridiculous. Our servers are significantly locked down and we do practise the highest levels of security. Any good security expert tells you that the more number of security layers there are, the better it is. Disallowing external or remote SSH access adds another security blanket around our servers and network.

SSH when allowed leaves servers open to potential probing and abuse. We feel that we'd rather reject the few rare customers that require SSH in order to provide a safe, secure and stable hosting experience to the rest of our customers.
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Can your control panel handle a 300mb database? Believe me it wasn't an attack to your procedures, I also qualified my statements by stating I am assuming, in other words I didn't want to put much thought into your procedures.

From experience the only viable way to deal with large databases is with SSH, or... if you're sitting at the server with a CD Burner.
    dotGig

Well, phpMyAdmin may not be able to restore a 300 mb database, but you can upload it your FTP account, talk with tech support over live chat right away and get the database restored within 15 minutes.

You can perform any database operation except backup and restoration easily through the CP. Backups are made every 24 hours by us anyway so you could always request a dump or restoration whenever you may need through support.

Disallowing SSH removes alot more potential security threats than many people realise...

Ok, so I was right. A programmer would indeed need external support. You're contradicting yourself now and trying to make me look like a fish out of water. Please retract what you said or give me a cookie. Chocolate chip no less!
    dotGig

My reseller doesnt allow SSH due to the security aspect, but I can still use the php shell_exec() function
    I guess this is an oversight by the hosting company, but it helps me a bit!

Originally posted by Samuel
    Ok, so I was right. A programmer would indeed need external support. You're contradicting yourself now and trying to make me look like a fish out of water. Please retract what you said or give me a cookie. Chocolate chip no less!
    I never contradicted myself. Re-read what I said:

"There is nothing that can be done with SSH that you won't be able to achieve on our servers with our support and our control panel."

How many developers have 300MB databases? Unless the database is very large, there are very very few things that cannot be done with the control panel. And those very very few things that may not be done via the CP would be needed by a very very few people. And in those cases, i'm sure they'd find support very helpful

Different perspective, different customer base. How many developers have 300mb databases? You're asking me? I'm going to have to now clarify, enough to justify SSH access to them. Again, its up to your procedures what level of access you allow. Lots of differences here.
    dotGig

The question presented was, "Is ssh important to end users?"

I would say, "Not to the majority of Clients with any Hoster."

I would also agree that not providing SSH access as a default feature is no big thing. Sure, there are some things that a person familiar with SSH would find easier to do or more convientent but as stated, with Basic Hosting features and help from Support, 99% of Clients do not need nor want SSH access.

For those that do it's a matter of opening a dialogue with the Hoster to discuss details, same as any other Support issue. Some Hosters do not provide SSH at all, for any reason, and some do after a relationship has been built. The only way to know for sure is to ask.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

and trying to make me look like a fish out of water
    haha
    I'm not trying to make you look bad, I am sorry if I came off that way. You as a company are free to practise policies that have worked for you. But if someone has questioned our policy, I surely would defend it

Cheers! I think the thread though has focused what fairfax was after, and that ultimately is why I'm here. These services are complicated, it's good for customers to see things from all sides to make the best decision for themselves.

I still want a chocolate chip cookie =( (Digs in the kitchen)
    dotGig

SSH has helped me a lot a few times.
    A while back, we were dealing with a 200MB+ SQL file and if it wasn't for SSH, transferring that db would have taken me ages :/
    Of course with SSH it was just a few commands and after a few seconds, you're done.

Is SSH important to the end user? If you want to test something that can behave differently, depending on the hosts configurations, then SSH will save you a LOT of time.

As a developer and Linux user, I think SSH access is an good plus to have in your hosting package.

SSH is important to me. and anyone that knows how to work with a shell, also will cut down on some of your end user's bandwidth use. Alot of things people would use FTP for they can do internally with ssh.

Hi Yash,

Glad you jumped in here.

My initial question was more about ssh, but the topic seems to have shifted more towards ssh and databases. The point is that ssh gives a user "full" access to the command line. Granted access to some commands may need to be disabled for security reasons. That is perfectly valid. Access to the command line is useful for database work, as well other things such as debugging scripts. I can guarantee you that most Linux/Unix developers will always prefer to work directly at the command line level when they are doing these type of tasks. However, I will admit I have not used any control panel so maybe it is an acceptable alternative. I may sign up for your plan for a test run to try it out. As I said, everything else you guys offer looks really good.

Also, you said:

"Well, phpMyAdmin may not be able to restore a 300 mb database, but you can upload it your FTP account, talk with tech support over live chat right away and get the database restored within 15 minutes."

You mentioned live chat. However, I believe that chat is not available to end users. Is that correct? If it is, then that would be a nice support feature.

SSH may be prefered by some developers, but I can assure you that debugging and database work can all be performed via the CP and FTP. Only in the case of very large databases, you may need help from support to restore or dump it....

LiveChat is available only to direct customers. Your end-users would need to put in a ticket but we usually get back to such tickets in 30 minutes at the most

As Yash mentions, a lot of the tasks that SSH is needed for can be accomplished through control panels. The reason why many need SSH access is because it makes it more convenient to make batch file permission/ownership changes. Instituting a practice of requesting government-issued ID is slowly becoming more and more important as SSH access in the wrong hands can be dangerous if not monitored closely.

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

Access to the command line is useful for database work, as well other things such as debugging scripts.
    However, I don't think many hosts will be happy to hear you're testing/debugging scripts on their production servers, where hundreds of other customers' sites might be hosted.

What we do is the following:

Every request for access needs to include specific purpose for the access.

If you have been with us less than three months, or if it is your first time getting ssh access, you can have ssh enabled for a period of time (under 3 hours), but then it is disabled again.

If you have been with us for less than 6 months, you can set a timeframe to have ssh enabled (up to 30 days), provided you show good password practice.

If you have been with us over 6 months and have proven good password practice, then we will enable ssh perminantly for you, but still recommend you do it on a timeframe to minimize the vulrnability of your account.

This is also, of course, backed by a per-case basis where those who need constant access can get it immediately after signing up, for a legitmate purpose, photo ID and small one-time fee.

This has worked out really well for us.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs