Vortech (matrix reseller) asking for copy of credit card

Vortech (matrix reseller) asking for copy of credit card and photo id for reseller account.Is it safe to provide credit card photocopy, their froms with signature and photo ID.

Please let me know asap.

Thank in Advance.
    "life is like a mail
    sometimes u just dont get it"

Re: Vortech (matrix reseller) asking for copy of credit card

Originally posted by xtsy
    Vortech (matrix reseller) asking for copy of credit card and photo id for reseller account.Is it safe to provide credit card photocopy, their froms with signature and photo ID.

Please let me know asap.

Thank in Advance.
    This isn't something uncommon for an online merchant to do.

Yeah, this practice is becoming more and more common in the biz even though I'm uncomfortable with this especially since identity theft is so rampant now. That being said, I hosted with Matrixreseller for about two years and they're a reputable company.

Vortech's policy has been brought into discussion before, or at least that's what I remember.

Most hosts ask you for some kind of identification when you ask for SSH access for example, but it's not that common to ask all customers to provide such a thing.

If you're worried about it, I guess you could ask if it's OK for you to gray out the last digits of your CC number or something...

Yea this kind of sucks that we have to do this. But over the years we have lost a Merchant due to charge backs that came from fraud. We only ask for this for customers out side the US since AVS does not work and it cost so much to call over seas to verify plus the language issue.

We are always looking for new ways to help our new customers to verify and make there life easier, we are looking in to 2Checkout as another option so customers don't have to verify with us. But this is still up in the air.

We do try to make this as simple as we can by offering a secure upload option scanned CC and ID and are deleted as soon as they are checked and verified. Then we have the fax option, these are also shredded once verified. Only 3 of our billing people have access to these and in 5 years have never had any issues at all.

We want you to fill safe on our system, so not only do we do this to verify you are the credit card hold and some one has not stolen your credit card but also it helps to keep script kiddies and spammers off our systems a bit more.

Hope this helps and if you need help please let me know. We don't wave this policy for anyone and have used it for over 5 years, many companies do this now as everyone here said. Trust me it does work very well in cutting down fraud, spammers, and hackers and helps to keep our customers safe.

Thanks

yep , its common
    most of companies demand for this for online sale

they just want to verify that credit card belong to you

It is probably safe, but personally I refused to do it. While the cost is high for calls, they could have earn back the call charges in days from the hosting fee the new sign up pays. In fact, I did once signup to get a Windows account for our client (we only do linux currently) and once they asked for the faxes and all, I promptly asked for a refund and went somewhere else.

In short, if you don't feel comfortable don't do it. There's many other hosts who doesn't require it.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Originally posted by hsg70

most of companies demand for this for online sale

they just want to verify that credit card belong to you
    That's an overstatement to say that most companies require a copy of your credit card. There are other ways to verify that it belongs to you, that are more secure. I'd say that between collecting the CVV2 code, doing an AVS check, and phone verification, that you'd be pretty safe from fraud. I think that requiring a copy of a credit card would scare many potential customers off.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

When you hand over your credit card to the Chili's waitress and she takes it back to swipe it, you're essentially doing the same thing (granted, you've had some personal interaction with the waitress).

We've considered similar policies in light of fraud activity that's happened with our systems (even with instant activation turned off). I caught three instances in the last 24 hours.

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

Originally posted by HostingInsider
    That's an overstatement to say that most companies require a copy of your credit card. There are other ways to verify that it belongs to you, that are more secure. I'd say that between collecting the CVV2 code, doing an AVS check, and phone verification, that you'd be pretty safe from fraud. I think that requiring a copy of a credit card would scare many potential customers off.
    There are some issues with your statments there HostingInsider.

1. AVS check 99% of the time only works in the US, I have seen it work in the UK some but not much.

2. Phone verification would only work if they are from an English speaking country.

3. CVV2 code would be safe if it was not on the back of the card. If they have the card then they have the CVV2 number. Thats why we ask for their ID as well. Problem is if they steal their wallet then they have both.

niyogi,

Remember back in the old day they had to make an imprint of your card, we never get to see the person on the other end placing the order. Today alone we had 4 fraud accounts. You would never believe how happy a 70 year old lady is when you call her up and tell her someone may have stolen her card number. lol

Heck we have made new customers this way, calling them asking to verify there card they had no idea who we were, but they were so please we cared so much about our customers safety and ours that the signed up. I know of 3 my self that have over the years.

We have thought about asking for a copy of there CC statement or making that an option, but have not made plans or changes for that as of yet. But maybe some would fill more inclined to send that.

Originally posted by Vortech
    There are some issues with your statments there HostingInsider.
    Well I'm just saying that many customers would be scared away if they have to send a copy of their credit card, so I offered some alternatives. If it works for you, that's fine, but I would never ask for copies of customer's credit cards and would never send a copy of mine to another company.
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

We require the same information. It's really for the benefit for us as a company and for our customers as well.

First is simple fraud prevention. Since we started this policy 7 months ago we have had zero fraud signups and zero charge backs. Prior to that we had 2-4 fraud signups attempts per month.

The second reason is we want to make sure that we know who the responsible person is that is using our network and servers. If they are willing to use stolen credit cards there is no telling what other wrong things they are willing to do.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

mgphoto, very good way to put it.

HostingInsider, I under stand fully. I can't blame you really. I even hate having to do it and wish we did not have to.