Time-out on SSH Login

Hi,

I have this problem on one server. It times-out in the Login portion of SSH. It will display the login, but after you enter the username it just hungs/time-out until it closes.

This server is running on FreeBSD with Cpanel. The server is up, we can access WHM, can reboot, can reset OpenSSh.

We already asked the DC, to disable to firewall, and still we can't log-in. The DC told us that they can login without a problem. If it is routing problem, I won't be able to login to other servers using SSH but I can.

What do you think is the problem?

Thanks
    Charles
    DedicatedPlace.com - The Only Place to be...
    Sales@DedicatedPlace.com * Affordable, No Setup Fee, Fully Managed Dedicated Servers with Daily Remote Backup. External Server Management & Monitoring also available.

Difficult to guess the cause with given details.

Is it the same for all the username/password combo you use ?
    Forget DC , can any of your friend's login ?
    Whats wrong in an innocent cup of tea ?
    -----
    Bobcares.com

It sounds like the DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf might be timing out. Try changin it for another via the Resolver Configuration in WHM

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Remove the comment in UseDNS parameter in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and set it as NO.

# UseDNS yes

to

UseDNS No

Restart sshd. You need a local hand to do that, as you can not access SSH.

If you have multiple servers, try to log into one and then SSH to the other. I have used this trick before when I accidently had the firewall block my IP. It may also help if you are having a DNS problem.

Thanks guys, It seems an ISP / routing problem. I tried another PC with different ISP and I can now log in.

Thanks for all your help.
    DedicatedPlace.com - The Only Place to be...
    Sales@DedicatedPlace.com * Affordable, No Setup Fee, Fully Managed Dedicated Servers with Daily Remote Backup. External Server Management & Monitoring also available.