mySQL size is bigger than the /var partition, help please

my mySQL database is 9 GB, but the /var partition only has 8 gb size limit. Would you please tell me how I can mount or use the /home partition for mySQL storage?

Thanks a lot

p/s: I'm using 64bit Centos 3.4 with CPanel.

Sorry for the off topic, but this should be a nice warning bell for those that are actually partitioning out a /var on new server installs. I personally just ran into this same issue today and had MySQL locked up over a 100% full /var partition.

Anyway, you can probably symlink /var to /home but I'm not the expert on this, someone else will chime in any second and set you on your way.

Good luck with it, I know what you're feeling now -- was there 12 hours ago ..
    Take care
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +

I still think you should partition out /var.

You should never use /var for real data. I always create a seperate partition or even a disk for data, then link to the data directory in /var.

In MySQL situation, you can modify my.cnf and startup script to tell mysql where the data directory is, or just softlink /var/lib/mysql to some directory outside /var.

Thanks Red Hat.

Try symlinking the database files from /var to /home. Or you can change the datadir variable in /etc/my.cnf to point to /home.
    Game control panels - control your game world your way.

MAy be you can try this,

ln -s /var/lib/mysql /home/mysql

Thank you

Scotland, UK
    You better copy before you create a link, ie
    /etc/init.d/mysqld stop
    mv -f /var/lib/mysql /home/mysql
    ln -s /var/lib/mysql /home/mysql
    /etc/init.d/mysqld start
    Server Management -
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]