Thread: qmail question

qmail question

I have a domain name but it is not running on my own DNS. I do have my own apache server running. I just have the domain name pointing to my IP address from www.domainpanel.com (where i bought the domain name). Do I have to be running my own DNS server in order to have a mail server?

No you do not need to have your own DNS server running, just need to point the MX , A records to the mail server and also do a reverse DNS for your mail server IP, thats all that is needed.

When I try to have my domain point to my mail server, it gives me this error

Errors modifying hosts: There was an error updating the host records.

what does it mean? My qmail server is running.

Contact DomainPanel.com as this isn't a Qmail problem. Let them know you are having troubles updating your domain to have the primary MX point to your server IP.

There are 4 firleds in domainpanel.com when setting up a MX server:

Hostname Address Record Type MX Pref

for hostname I put @ for none,
    address I put pop.meribiadesigns.com.
    for recordType I put MX
    MX pref I put 10

For my address I would like to put my server IP but domainpanel.com says I can't use an IP for the address.

It really should let you use an IP address, but in the event that it won't, use: mail.yourdomain.com and put a pointer (A) from mail.yourdomain.com to the IP address of your server.

How do I make my mail server name? I connect locally to apache via IP or localhost. and for my qmail-pop3d, do I need another server name for my POP3? (when I type hostname in shell i get localhost.localdomain if that helps)

I know my qmail and qmail-pop3d is running cause when I hit qmailctl stat I see all the functions running and the run time is greater then 1 sec.

thanks for all the help!

It will not require any name to be changed, however, for sanity purposes as you grow in size, you might want to give your computer a name. This will not affect the way mail traffic is directed.

In fact, your problem is not related to your server at all. Simply put, you must have a DNS entry through whoever is hosting your DNS that points your mail (MX) to the IP of your mail server. I'm not familiar with domainpanel.com so you'll likely have to find someone that is or contact the company directly if you are having problems.

Let's assume your Server IP is 1.2.3.4
    You'll want to enter a pointer (A) entry into your DNS that points
    mail.yourdomain.com -> 1.2.3.4

Then you should be able to point your mail (MX) to mail.yourdamain.com

After this is completed, you'll need to configure qmail to accept the domains (rcpthosts) that you are hosting.

I hope the above information is somehow useful.

Thanks debrown3rd I was able to connect using Mozilla Thunderbird. I can check my mail accounts, but everytime I send a e-mail it times-out. And When I try to send myself mail from another email address, If does not go threw to my mail server. Even though my smtp and pop servers are up and running, I got some config work to do