level 3 L.A gameservers

Yeah i've been looking around at all the L.A datacenters for Level 3 or something close to that, i ran into krypt.com , heres the thing, they have p4 2.8's with a gig of ram and they have dual xeon 2.4 with a gig of ram, for the same price as two p4's.

what should i go to, for game servers, wouldnt the p4's theoretically run more gameservers?

try VRTservers.net they use Level3 and Savvis
    Old Guy in WHT.
    IT Expert | Hosting Professional.
    Over 12 Years of Hosting Experience.

For Level3 in LA ? You COULD do CALPOP ....

is this for a clan or a gsp that you're trying to run
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

um...

the question was, what would be better, the two p4's or the one dual xeon, krypt has the cleanest level 3 bandwith ie i ping 12 to it, while i get 25 to calpop.

Re: um...

Originally posted by Nickers
    the question was, what would be better, the two p4's or the one dual xeon, krypt has the cleanest level 3 bandwith ie i ping 12 to it, while i get 25 to calpop.
    Ping isn't everything.. In fact ping is the last thing you should be concerned with

why i ping the last thing? ... he's a gsp - its one of the foremost

Originally posted by The Broadband Man
    why i ping the last thing? ... he's a gsp - its one of the foremost
    If your server is down and support isn't around the ping doesn't really matter..

I just wanted to put it out there that there are more things to evaluate when it comes to hosts.. Too many people just go by a few ping tests and end up with the wrong host..

Yes but that doesn't mean it's not important .. but whatever, I kinda get what you're saying

But getting back to the original question.. I'm not sure I would consider CalPop for game hosting considering they pull in a healthy dose of Yipes and Williams which for game hosting wouldn't be the best choice..

L.A is a tough place.. I used to live there and really. really wanted to open a location close to home but for the life of me couldn't find anything decent.. Or at least what I would consider decent..

The other ones mentioned such as Krypt.com look a bit shady.. I cannot tell where they have the LA location but the Northern one looks to be hosted at the Orange County Gov. building?

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    But getting back to the original question.. I'm not sure I would consider CalPop for game hosting considering they pull in a healthy dose of Yipes and Williams which for game hosting wouldn't be the best choice..

L.A is a tough place.. I used to live there and really. really wanted to open a location close to home but for the life of me couldn't find anything decent.. Or at least what I would consider decent..

The other ones mentioned such as Krypt.com look a bit shady.. I cannot tell where they have the LA location but the Northern one looks to be hosted at the Orange County Gov. building?
    There are so many things wrong with your response ...

1) CALPOP is used by MANY people for gaming ... and since yipes gets L3 - calpop actually gets comparable pings to mzima and Level3. Capacity might be an issue and same goes for uptime

Krypt.com is by far from shady ... i'm surprised since you are a game host because krypt not only hosts steam servers they're a huge gameserver host ... and are by far from sketchy

Finally, I can rattle off a list 1/2 a mile long of competent LA hosts

So your saying Yipes is good for gaming?

If it's soo good why do you spend a truckload for Internap? Come on Eric I'm not one of these kids that just showed up for school..

I cannot speculate about Krypt apart from what I already stated. A tracert from their IP goes to Orange Co. Gov. .. That doesn't seem like a big time hosters m.o. ..

Finally, I can rattle off a list 1/2 a mile long of competent LA hosts
    I would like to hear this though

yeah, i kinda was just asking a hardware question but people are questioning what datacenter to buy from, is there anyone thats gonna answer it, i'll put it simple TWO P4 OR ONE DUAL XEON

I'd go with the Dual Xeon personally. But it depends on what you are planning to do with it..

If you want it for game serving for profit then definatly. But if you want it for personal use then go with the Single. You would be surprised on what one of those would hold and you save some $$..

one dual xeon 2.4, with 2gb ram

Richard, for that I am with you - Xeon all the way

To avoid appearing to brag about our mix, Yipes is not bad if you just need a cheap way to get to Level3 traffic .. .yipes also has different bandwidth mixes in every location.

I'm saying for regular gameservers, Calpop is perfectly fine in terms of network QUALITY

problems with it are capacity and uptime

plus - there's no doubt IMO thta internap is better but that doesn't mean there are others out there that arn't acceptable ...

in terms of krypt, they're a very very large host with well over 500 customers - take my w

Fair enough Eric

Maybe when you get a chance you could shoot me the names of a few places you consider decent in LA?

the xeon only has 1 gb of ram

I also would like to see the the list of good LA providers that is 1/2 mile long. I live in LA, have servers in LA, have been in a number of buildings in LA , and done research on a zillion companys in LA.

You would think with an area the size of LA that there would be alot to choose from. That simply not true.

The only reliable network in LA that I have stubbled on is NRsoftware.
    NRsoftware is top notch. Support is great, uptime is awesome, and they are great to work with.

Im sure there are other good providers in LA, and I hear Mzima is good, but have yet to use them.

Pssst... this thread was over a month old
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

NR Software has several locations throughout LA and uses Level(3), among others.

anyone know data center companies in san jose area?